Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 10:55 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,905,721 times

Advertisements

People who don't wear eye protection are foolish and looking for trouble. I was in the eye biz for 45 years and I always recommended safety glasses. There are different kinds of prescription safety glasses, we recommended Polycarbonate which are much safer and don't shatter vs plastic and glass which can, especially glass. They pretty much phased out glass years ago. Glass lenses now come from overseas, not sure why, maybe for liability. We stopped fabricating them because you need a special grinding wheel which is expensive and wears out quicker because glass is harder. Glass lenses also need to be drop ball tested which requires another piece of equipment. Most places won't even make you glass lenses because of the liability issues. Glass was popular because it doesn't scratch as easily as plastic or polycarbonate but it was also heavy and can shatter, potentially sending slivers into your eye. You can also purchase non prescription safety goggle at many places like Home Depot and are cheap usually a few dollars. You only have one set of eyes and you need to protect them, being blind or visually impaired is no joke, especially since its so easily preventable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:34 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
People who don't wear eye protection are foolish and looking for trouble. I was in the eye biz for 45 years and I always recommended safety glasses. There are different kinds of prescription safety glasses, we recommended Polycarbonate which are much safer and don't shatter vs plastic and glass which can, especially glass. They pretty much phased out glass years ago. Glass lenses now come from overseas, not sure why, maybe for liability. We stopped fabricating them because you need a special grinding wheel which is expensive and wears out quicker because glass is harder. Glass lenses also need to be drop ball tested which requires another piece of equipment. Most places won't even make you glass lenses because of the liability issues. Glass was popular because it doesn't scratch as easily as plastic or polycarbonate but it was also heavy and can shatter, potentially sending slivers into your eye. You can also purchase non prescription safety goggle at many places like Home Depot and are cheap usually a few dollars. You only have one set of eyes and you need to protect them, being blind or visually impaired is no joke, especially since its so easily preventable.
I don't know what protective coatings are on my distance and reading glasses, but I truly believe wearing SUNGLASSES outside for years, even on cloudy days, has kept my eyes healthy and from cataracts...I'm 79.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:34 PM

Plastic lenses inherently contain UV protection so any plastic lens will help. The important thing in preventing cataracts is having UV protection when you are outdoors. This can be accomplished with a UV coating on your lenses.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:55 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,130,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I am a poster boy for what can happen if you do not wear safety glasses; just click on my avatar! That happened almost 20 years ago and I was very lucky. I had a great surgeon that took that picture before he removed the fishhook. Fortunately, and to the amazement of my surgeon; I have not even needed cataract surgery since my mishap. That eye will always be dilated because of the accident.

I had fished for so many years that I thought of myself as a 'pro'. I never thought that anything like that could happen to me - wrong! Like you state; so many of these accidents can be easily preventable. They even make great polarized fishing safety glasses that cut down on the harmful reflection coming off the water.

The day I got the hook in my eye I was fishing a small stream with a Mepps spinner. I caught two trout and then the third trout jumped out the water as I was setting the hook and flung it in my direction. I had no time to react. The spinner hit me in the eye and I knew immediately I was in trouble. Altogether I had that hook in my eye for seven hours. One hospital sent me to another one for the surgery. I am glad they did because I did get a good surgeon. Safety glasses would have saved me a lot of pain! You are offering great advice!

Fishing is a great family sport. Please think about requiring the family to wear the safety glasses as you fish together. Show them a picture of my avatar if they resist the glasses!

Old 01-29-2018, 07:53 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
I’m in agreement with wearing protective glasses and have been doing it for more than 50 years now. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had a near-miss and would have lost an eye while working and doing normal daily things. UV protection is also very important and living in an area where we have more sunshine then most places I’ve added tinting them to help reduce eyestrain.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
I work for a large chemical company in delaware and safety glasses are mandatory. Luckily if you need prescription glasses you get one free pair of safety prescription glasses a year. They are not the most fashionable versions but they have side shields and are polycarbonate.

I will admit I don't wear safety glasses at home and not sure what type of lens I have in my normal eye glasses. they do have scratch resistance coating and uv protection. Might be worth me looking into

Old 01-29-2018, 08:50 AM

There are basically 3 types of lenses:

Glass - pros:best optics, scratch resistant - cons: heavy, shatters and can cause serious injury, little UV protection
Plastic - pros: cheapest, lightweight - cons: scratches, can break
Polycarbonate - pros: most impact resistant, lightest weight, UV protection - cons: more expensive than plastic, scratches easiest, optics not as good as glass or plastic

Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
Not that I have shopped for any, but, I would imagine that there are safety goggles or glasses that are made to be worn over prescription glasses. I usually wear when doing any work around the house, lawn mowing/trimming with line trimmer is pretty important to do.

Regarding uvb/uva. I can't wear the sunglasses that are marked that say 100% uva/uvb protection, maybe they are just cheap made in China that are not what they say they are. The only kind of sunglasses I can tolerate are polarized, they are the only ones that I don't get a headache/eye ache with. I was shown years ago how to verify that lenses are polarized by taking two, marked as such in the store, and hold them against each other, turn one clockwise, the other counterclockwise while looking through both lenses at the same time. If they are BOTH polarized you will see a total black suddenly while doing this. It only works if both are polarized.

I found a video on YouTube that show the test for polarized glasses, not the best but most of the videos show using a computer screen to test rather than another pair of glasses. I've done this test in stores when shopping for polarized glasses.

https://youtu.be/eqe-tpXrEiU

Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
you can buy stick-on reading lenses to add to safety glasses, so you don't even need to wear 2 pairs of glasses. Available some drug stores, ebay.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
I remember working for a company in MO and we'd be using nail guns. One guy was right beside another, he laid the gun down, fired off a nail and the guy was turning his head in time to catch the nail in the lens of his glasses. The tip barely touched his eye, but that was enough of a close call that the boss told everyone "If I see you working without glasses, I'll suspend you for a day, next time a week, next time I'm walking you out the door" No one ever forgot to wear them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness