Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 11:44 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
I have just decided to skip listening to them. If I think an MRI is needed I just look up what symptoms will get me that and fake them.

If they want to be ridiculous... I can be too.

Ok guess I was wrong on the smoking thing but I did say not as bad as we thought -- not that smoking isn't bad.
I was at the mercy of a team of probably 5 UCLA doctors when I was taken to a room from the ER. I could not walk and in mega pain. I could not think about anything...

This is a major reason whey I HOPE I can stay out of the doc's offices for ANYTHING just about. They will find or not find what is truly wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I know they are have been for years my father had stents put in and even grandfather had several of them even after 90 each time he had chest pain went into the Emergency Department. The point is should it even be done if it isn't required people who have no symptoms and never had a prior heart attack I don't see the point in someone who is 85 years old if he was 55 years old I would agree with what needs to be done.

I'm sure there are risk I know my grandfather had bleeding where they put the stent it took a few hour of nurses pushing down on his chest with lot of weight to stop he said it was terribly uncomfortable and painful.
This reminds me of when my father was in the hospital at close to his end, he was over 95 and 3 different heart surgeons came to my sister and I trying to talk us into getting him a pacemaker so he could live longer....NO was the clear and loud response...but 3 different surgeons came on 3 different days. Dad was ready to go.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:16 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,891,679 times
I'm not 85 yet but when I am, I would guess I'd be as eager to keep living at that age as I'd be at 65, unless I was already in a lot of pain. People at 85 and even 95 aren't always as keen on dying as you think they are. So why shouldn't they be allowed tests and stents, as long as it's something they want? Just because some people are ready to hang it up when they're 85 doesn't mean everyone is.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I'm not 85 yet but when I am, I would guess I'd be as eager to keep living at that age as I'd be at 65, unless I was already in a lot of pain. People at 85 and even 95 aren't always as keen on dying as you think they are. So why shouldn't they be allowed tests and stents, as long as it's something they want? Just because some people are ready to hang it up when they're 85 doesn't mean everyone is.
Agreed!

Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
Whatever floats your own particular boat. I made my peace with dying when I turned 50. 69 now. In my younger years never thought I would ever reach this age, and it has not been from medical professionals keeping me alive. I have never had my very own personal primary care doctor in all my life. "My" last doctor was an OB in 1984, unless you count my very own Pediatrician in 1958.

Again, whatever floats your own boat. As far as the OT, let that 85 year old man do whatever he wants. He has earned that RIGHT at his age. He should not be some notch in a doctor's belt if he doesn't choose to be.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:36 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Maybe it's just time for him to stop walking up hills.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:49 PM

On the smoking, this one friend in mid 80's is a tall beanpole and walks all over town and has been playing golf up until a year or so ago. She does have nasty osteoporosis though. Back pretty curved.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:58 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,314,125 times
Quote:
If you aren't even 65, give your opinion when you are at least that. I will give you this much in that it is all an individual's own choice. Medical professionals are very prejudiced when it comes to aging and keeping people alive as long as THEY possibly can.

My husband and I are both 69. Both of us have said we DON'T want to live to be 85 let alone 95. There are other factors involved than just being in "extreme pain", and living as long as possible. Quality of life versus Quantity of life. Try to imagine the friends of your youth, majority of your relatives, and even possibly your own children being dead, and you are still alive? Ever consider that? My husband and I have.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:10 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Quote:
Each situation is different in his situation he feels fine and he doesn't even want the test only doing it because my mother is concerned. He is the type of person that just doesn't worry about medical problems he is thinking of others who worry about him. The problem with being worried about dying is no one knows when or how that will happen. I'm just not concerned with dying I think it's a part of life we all have to face one day no doctor can predict it.

If you look at this thread some talk about people on their death bed doctors are giving them bone density test.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:09 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,675 times
In caring for grandparents, an aunt, my parents and inlaws your observations are spot on.

For a majority of people 70+ health care is throwing as many tests, surgeries, medications and procedures at every problem that pops up, kind of like that old game Whac a Mole. If a person is otherwise healthy I have no issue with that, but when someone is chronically ill it makes no sense to put someone through laborious tests and invasive procedures if it won't do much to improve their health. I suspect Medicare funding it is why there is abuse in this area.

For example, my mother had dementia. She was bedridden and had full care at home. Due to a long process of incompetent visiting nurses not treating her properly she ended up in the ER with extreme constipation (13 days). After she was treated this nurse actually told me that "you should schedule your mother for a colonoscopy to see if there are further problems". I could not believe a nurse would give such ridiculous advice. Who in their right mind would put a fully bedridden dementia patient through the trauma (and expense) of a colonoscopy? Even if something suspicious was found my mother was in no shape to get chemo, and even if she was why on earth would anyone do this to a patient already declining quickly from demetia? I saw this crazy attitude of "treat everything at every cost" even with dying patients. And then we wonder why Medicare spends so much money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness