Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone ever checks these out, but here is a map of flu spread by week...

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/usmap.htm

Until my area "cools" off a bit, you won't be seeing me in any crowded places like movie theaters. And I think the next time I go to the supermarket, I may be wearing a mask!

Does anyone have a source of a better, more interactive, or more granular map?

Good places to avoid during flu season?
  • Drug store/pharmacy— 69 percent
  • Grocery store— 43 percent
  • Workplace— 39 percent
  • Friend/family member's house— 20 percent
  • Restaurant/deli— 16 percent
  • ATM— 14 percent
  • Public transportation— 10 percent
  • Gym— 8 percent
  • School/daycare— 7 percent
  • Party— 5 percent
  • Other— 7 percent

Old 01-25-2018, 02:33 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I don't know if anyone ever checks these out, but here is a map of flu spread by week...

Until my area "cools" off a bit, you won't be seeing me in any crowded places like movie theaters. And I think the next time I go to the supermarket, I may be wearing a mask!

• Workplace— 39 percent
  • ATM— 14 percent
  • Gym— 8 percent
  • Party— 5 percent
  • Other— 7 percent
We live near an Army Depot. The infirmary there has been shut down due to the high numbers of doctors and nurses sick with the flu. The Military doesn't mandate Flu Vaccinations, especially for their medical professionals?

We have a friend who is a Nurse (late 40's) there. Few weeks ago she, and her SO (had flu shot), came down with the flu. Her's resulted in pneumonia and she was hospitalized. We had dinner with them only a few days before when they were not sneezing and coughing, but according to the experts were still contagious from talking and breathing the same air.

We did not come down with the flu. It probably depends on an individual's own particular immune system; vaccinations or not. Of course, if you hibernate all alone in your home and never go out anywhere, you probably won't catch the flu. Do you really want to live your life like that?

Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
We live near an Army Depot. The infirmary there has been shut down due to the high numbers of doctors and nurses sick with the flu. The Military doesn't mandate Flu Vaccinations, especially for their medical professionals?

We have a friend who is a Nurse (late 40's) there. Few weeks ago she, and her SO (had flu shot), came down with the flu. Her's resulted in pneumonia and she was hospitalized. We had dinner with them only a few days before when they were not sneezing and coughing, but according to the experts were still contagious from talking and breathing the same air.

We did not come down with the flu. It probably depends on an individual's own particular immune system; vaccinations or not. Of course, if you hibernate all alone in your home and never go out anywhere, you probably won't catch the flu. Do you really want to live your life like that?
Not being in a crowd does not equate to "hibernating all alone in your home." There are plenty of things to do and places to go without congregating with large masses of people.

For the most part, I am out and about at least 3 hours 6 out of 7 days... mostly waking trails and getting exercise and fresh air. I'm sure others can be out too without interacting with others in tight rooms.

Old 01-25-2018, 03:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
So you're not going to go to work?

Old 01-25-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
So you're not going to go to work?
Work? No. I'll skip that. A benefit of retirement.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Yes and this happened to me too . I swear to my Lord jesus that I was not sick before I got that flu shot years ago and it turned into pneumonia and I was hospitalized and no I was not sick , sneezing cough nope . I'm so tired of the media reporting that the flu shot does not make you sick , that you were already sick . Not true at all . thank you .

Old 01-25-2018, 07:22 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
It's worth pointing out how funny I thought it was. It says "widespread" everywhere except the District of Columbia, where it is "regional".

This map has essentially the same data, but opens a thousand times faster.

http://www.intellicast.com/Health/Influenza.aspx

Old 01-26-2018, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

• Workplace— 39 percent
  • ATM— 14 percent
  • Gym— 8 percent
  • Party— 5 percent
  • Other— 7 percent
I'd go with the CDC's stuff first. You might find a more detailed map of your state on your state health department's site.

The Patch article is interesting, but I doubt it's any kind of a scientific survey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
It's worth pointing out how funny I thought it was. It says "widespread" everywhere except the District of Columbia, where it is "regional".

This map has essentially the same data, but opens a thousand times faster.

Intellicast - Influenza Report in United States
Again, a weather website is probably not the best place to get flu information.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:14 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Thanks, I look at those CDC maps every week. My state and county are out of control, we've had 43 deaths in my county. Now, not only do we have type A, we have type B. While the shot isn't as effective this year for type A, I've heard they nailed it on the B.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:23 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Default Another Reason to Take the Flu Shot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes and this happened to me too . I swear to my Lord jesus that I was not sick before I got that flu shot years ago and it turned into pneumonia and I was hospitalized and no I was not sick , sneezing cough nope . I'm so tired of the media reporting that the flu shot does not make you sick , that you were already sick . Not true at all . thank you .
This is a common misconception people have.

However, there is a simple reason you cannot get influenza from the flu shot. It is because the flu virus in the shot is either inactivated (unable to reproduce) or literally made without a flu virus and with DNA recombinant technology.

Now, here are some other possibilities:

1. You had the virus before you got the flu shot and it was incubating. Ordinarily, it take about four days from the time you are exposed to the flu virus before symptoms will develop.

2. The influenza shot you received did not cover the strain of flu virus you were exposed too. Therefore, the shot was ineffective and did not prevent you from getting flu after you had already received the shot.

3. The dead virus in the immunization can produce mild flu-like symptoms. It can give you a very slight temperature and it can make your nose run a little. The key word though is "mild". It won't give you a full blown case of the flu.

There is another reason though to get your flu vaccination. Studies are showing that people are six times more likely to have a heart attack in the week following the flu than if they didn't get the flu. The flu imposes a substantial stress on your system. It provokes a response that inflames vessels and cells in your body. Even if the vaccine is only 30% or 40% effective taking the vaccine is worth it if it reduces your chances of having a heart attack by a similar percentage.

The flu is no joking matter.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/misconceptions.htm

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...art-attack-too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness