Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:12 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,648 times

Advertisements

Immune System after antibiotics

I'm wondering how long it takes for the immune system to fully recover after being on antibiotics.

I was on antibiotics, second time ever, early last year bacterial infection - amoxicillin cleared it up.
I drank Bio-k probiotic and ate plain yogurt. Didn't get a yeast infection.

I got the flu this year, the first time in over 20 years. I've never had a flu shot since I've felt hesitant about them. My naturopath said it's best to let the immune system work unless, of course, it's someone in a risk category.

I have read a lot again recently about antibiotics and just read to only take antibiotics if it's a bacterial infection. That antibiotics can strengthen a viral infection. OMG !

I have an ear ache treating with Advil if that doesn't work I'm to take Prednisone for three days. If that doesn't clear it up then to take amoxicillin.

In addition to Advil, I've been using a warm wash cloth and vaporizer. I'm hoping it clears up because I don't want to take Prednisone. Now reading that antibiotics could possibly strength a viral infection I won't take antibiotics.

There is so much to learn about health and staying healthy. I'm grateful to find such helpful info quickly online.

I'm overall pretty healthy eat lots of fruits, vegetables, walnuts, sardines, etc. Do not drink at all or ever smoke. Meditate. Take vitamins.

The other thing I'm wondering is about getting a flu shot. I don't know whether it's a good idea ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Healthy New Year !

Old 01-23-2018, 12:58 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Antibiotics do not do anything to the immune system. They kill bacteria or inhibit their growth so that the immune system can mop them up or finish them off. They will not work against viruses but they will not "strengthen" a viral illness either. Sometimes people will get bacterial infections on top of a viral infection. Antibiotics are then indicated. That is not uncommon with flu.

Antibiotics can bump off normal bacteria in the bowel. Probiotics help those to recover.

If you have already had the flu it's kind of late to take the vaccine but would be a good idea to do so in the future. Everyone is at risk to get flu.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:07 AM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Antibiotics do not do anything to the immune system. They kill bacteria or inhibit their growth so that the immune system can mop them up or finish them off. They will not work against viruses but they will not "strengthen" a viral illness either. Sometimes people will get bacterial infections on top of a viral infection. Antibiotics are then indicated. That is not uncommon with flu.

Antibiotics can bump off normal bacteria in the bowel. Probiotics help those to recover.

If you have already had the flu it's kind of late to take the vaccine but would be a good idea to do so in the future. Everyone is at risk to get flu.
What she said!

Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 AM

Quote:

I've have always heard antibiotics can be hard on the immune system, just one reason many people use caution to take them. Well I've been reading that antibiotics can strengthen viral.

I was given Tamiflu and antibiotics and advised to take at the same time, which I didn't agree with. After a long discussion with the doctor I suggested best to wait until Tamiflu is completed, she then agreed. It felt right to wait on the antibiotics, turns out the antibiotics she prescribed would have been the wrong one and a different antibiotic has since been prescribed (ori. post) They don't always know what they're doing.

I realized I wasn't clear about asking suggestions about the flu shot. I originally asked how long it takes for the immune system to recover from antibiotics, since I took antibiotics last year and got the flu first time in over 20 years - wondered if it was from taking antibiotics. Hoping to hear from others that have had a similar experience.

Everyone needs to pay great attention when dealing with doctors and Rx. There's so many different opinions - ask ten doctors the same question and get ten different answers. Always research before taking any prescription and so helpful to talk with the pharmacist.

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 01-23-2018 at 02:11 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 05:19 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I've have always heard antibiotics can be hard on the immune system, just one reason many people use caution to take them. Well I've been reading that antibiotics can strengthen viral.

I was given Tamiflu and antibiotics and advised to take at the same time, which I didn't agree with. After a long discussion with the doctor I suggested best to wait until Tamiflu is completed, she then agreed. It felt right to wait on the antibiotics, turns out the antibiotics she prescribed would have been the wrong one and a different antibiotic has since been prescribed (ori. post) They don't always know what they're doing.

I realized I wasn't clear about asking suggestions about the flu shot. I originally asked how long it takes for the immune system to recover from antibiotics, since I took antibiotics last year and got the flu first time in over 20 years - wondered if it was from taking antibiotics. Hoping to hear from others that have had a similar experience.

Everyone needs to pay great attention when dealing with doctors and Rx. There's so many different opinions - ask ten doctors the same question and get ten different answers. Always research before taking any prescription and so helpful to talk with the pharmacist.
As Suzy pointed out you "heard wrong" about antibiotics. They are not "hard on the immune system"

They have NO effect on the "immune system". Different antibiotic classes work by different mechanisms to directly kill or inhibit growth of bacteria....period.

So no you didn't get the flu because you had recently taken antibiotics there would be zero connection between the two.

There is also no basis for you mistaken belief that antibiotics somehow 'strengthen' viruses....they have NO effect on viruses positive or negative. The point about not taking antibiotics for viral infections is that they are not needed and can potentially select out bacteria that have resistance when not used judiciously not that they somehow "strengthen' a virus.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,735,487 times
Quote:
It is hard on your immune system considering that antibiotics will kill off healthy gut bacteria in addition to the harmful bacterial infections.

Here's a link to an article that touches upon this.https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/rese...ne-system-meet
Quote:
“A huge proportion of your immune system is actually in your GI tract,” says Dan Peterson, assistant professor of pathology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. “The immune system is inside your body, and the bacteria are outside your body.” And yet they interact. For example, certain cells in the lining of the gut spend their lives excreting massive quantities of antibodies into the gut. “That’s what we’re trying to understand—what are the types of antibodies being made, and how is the body trying to control the interaction between ourselves and bacteria on the outside?”
Taking quality probiotics after a round of antibiotics is a really good idea as it will help to repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria.

Quote:
It's not a good idea to take antibiotics without a confirmed bacterial infection. Nor would it make sense to take them for something that they are to meant to treat. Did you have a bacterial infection along with the flu?

Another interesting article on the immune system and gut bacteria. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0916122214.htm

Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:

No, antibiotics are not "hard on the immune system." The reason that doctors are trying to use fewer antibiotics is because bacteria mutate and become resistant to them. Antibiotics also do not "strengthen viral". They do nothing to viruses at all. If you were advised to take an antibiotic when you had the flu it was because your doctor thought you had some type of bacterial infection in addition to the flu. Changing the antibiotic does not mean that the doctor did not know what she was doing. Choosing an antibiotic often depends on clinical judgement, especially for respiratory infections, because getting reliable bacterial cultures can be difficult.

The immune system does not have to "recover from antibiotics". Taking antibiotics last year has absolutely nothing to do with catching flu this year.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:11 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times
Quote:

And there you have it...the whole point of starting the thread.

If you know, read and "heard" so much why are even going to the doctor?

Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 AM

^^I was responding to a post that was stating the opposite.

If you nothing helpful to add to thread, than please don't.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No, antibiotics are not "hard on the immune system." The reason that doctors are trying to use fewer antibiotics is because bacteria mutate and become resistant to them. Antibiotics also do not "strengthen viral". They do nothing to viruses at all. If you were advised to take an antibiotic when you had the flu it was because your doctor thought you had some type of bacterial infection in addition to the flu. Changing the antibiotic does not mean that the doctor did not know what she was doing. Choosing an antibiotic often depends on clinical judgement, especially for respiratory infections, because getting reliable bacterial cultures can be difficult.

The immune system does not have to "recover from antibiotics". Taking antibiotics last year has absolutely nothing to do with catching flu this year.
Where are you getting your information ? Just curious. So much of what you're posting seems opposite to the information out there.

The doctor was not holding off on giving the antibiotics, (as stated in previous post) she quickly gave with Tamiflu and advised to take at the same time. Since antibiotics only covers bacterial and there's no way know if it's viral or bacterial. She even said don't know if it's viral or bacterial.

I'm glad I didn't start the first antibiotic because the second one is overall a better choice.

I checked with the pharmacist and explain everything he agreed to hold off on the antibiotics.

Last edited by 70's Music Girl; 01-23-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness