Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
Where are you getting your information ? Just curious. So much of what you're posting seems opposite to the information out there.

The doctor was not holding off on giving the antibiotics, (as stated in previous post) she quickly gave with Tamiflu and wanted me to take at the same time. Since antibiotics only covers bacterial and there's no way know if it's viral or bacterial. She even said don't know if it's viral or bacterial.

I'm glad I didn't start the first antibiotic because the second one is overall a better choice.
They can do a blood test to figure out if it is bacterial or viral. You may have to ask for one and you also will have to wait a day or two for the results but there are ways to figure it out.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
OP: I've not taken a lot of abx drugs in my life but when I have I always take probiotics with them, hours apart but with them. I don't know if conventional MD's tell their patients to do this but I've worked in other than conventional medicine for years and there is plenty of info on restoring the good bacteria in our bodies.

Due to a staph infection I had to be on major IV abx drugs for over 2 months and made sure the rehab gave me probiotics daily.

Due to a hip replacement we are told to take amoxicillan the day of dental appts. I did that and now I rarely even see a dentist, but have the abx in my refrig. Pretty long life shelf pharmacist told me.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
In 2006 I picked up a super bug from working in the hospital. For the first 5 or 6 years I never made it more then a couple of months without yet another 30 day round of some potent antibiotic. Honestly, it felt like I was being poisoned. After the five or six years, I managed to go about a year without a round of antibiotics for a couple of years. That occurred mostly in the summer. Heat was not my friend for nearly a decade.

It is now 2018 and I still do battle with this super bug, however, I haven't taken antibiotics since around 2013 or 2014. I can tell you that I'm still healthy except for some stomach problems. I'm sure I've done permanent damage to my beneficial bacteria. I think the 5 year old in our lives has done more to damage to my immune system then the antibiotics. I was sick three times last year because of her. Seriously, I never got sick this much before she came into our lives last year. It's okay. She's worth it

I wouldn't have had much quality to my life without the antibiotics, but they are far from harmless.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:09 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,671,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It is hard on your immune system considering that antibiotics will kill off healthy gut bacteria in addition to the harmful bacterial infections.

Here's a link to an article that touches upon this.https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/rese...ne-system-meet

Taking quality probiotics after a round of antibiotics is a really good idea as it will help to repopulate your gut with beneficial bacteria.

It's not a good idea to take antibiotics without a confirmed bacterial infection. Nor would it make sense to take them for something that they are to meant to treat. Did you have a bacterial infection along with the flu?

Another interesting article on the immune system and gut bacteria. https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0916122214.htm
Thank you for your post.

I've recovered from the flu, thankfully, and have earache taking advil (for right now)
No, do not have a confirmed bacterial infection, that's why I've held off on the antibiotics.

I agree about the probiotics after antibiotics. I'm really more of a holistic type, however, western medicine has its place, too. It's the balance

What brand of probiotics do you take ?

I like the bio-k liquid and I think they make a dairy free one, too.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
They can do a blood test to figure out if it is bacterial or viral. You may have to ask for one and you also will have to wait a day or two for the results but there are ways to figure it out.
Thank you Miss Terri for the helpful info.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Where are you getting your information ? Just curious. So much of what you're posting seems opposite to the information out there.

The doctor was not holding off on giving the antibiotics, (as stated in previous post) she quickly gave with Tamiflu and advised to take at the same time. Since antibiotics only covers bacterial and there's no way know if it's viral or bacterial. She even said don't know if it's viral or bacterial.

I'm glad I didn't start the first antibiotic because the second one is overall a better choice.

I checked with the pharmacist and explain everything he agreed to hold off on the antibiotics.
What I have told you is standard bacteriology. Where are you getting your information?

It sounds as if your doctor was not certain you had flu at all and was trying to cover all the bases.

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no blood test that can differentiate a viral infection from a bacterial infection. It would be wonderful if there were. Superimposed bacterial infections are common with flu, meaning there is both a bacterial infection and a viral infection at the same time.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: I've not taken a lot of abx drugs in my life but when I have I always take probiotics with them, hours apart but with them. I don't know if conventional MD's tell their patients to do this but I've worked in other than conventional medicine for years and there is plenty of info on restoring the good bacteria in our bodies.

Due to a staph infection I had to be on major IV abx drugs for over 2 months and made sure the rehab gave me probiotics daily.

Due to a hip replacement we are told to take amoxicillan the day of dental appts. I did that and now I rarely even see a dentist, but have the abx in my refrig. Pretty long life shelf pharmacist told me.
Thank you jaminhealth !

I took amoxicillan last year and the doctor said to take probiotic's at the same time. I also took hours apart.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:08 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Antibiotics harm your immune system by killing off beneficial bacteria in the GI tract. They also kill bacteria that makes you ill.

Use with discretion and understanding, as appropriate.

And beware of anyone who claims antibiotics do no harm. They are lying and uninformed because antibiotics do indeed harm your immune system. That is a fact.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:18 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Antibiotics harm your immune system by killing off beneficial bacteria in the GI tract. They also kill bacteria that makes you ill.

Use with discretion and understanding, as appropriate.

And beware of anyone who claims antibiotics do no harm. They are lying and uninformed because antibiotics do indeed harm your immune system. That is a fact.
Source?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
Thank you jaminhealth !

I took amoxicillan last year and the doctor said to take probiotic's at the same time. I also took hours apart.
It's why a lot of times the doctor also gives a script for Diflucan, in case you get a yeast infection because doctors know that the original antibiotic can cause additional problems.

Probiotics are a healthier alternative though because they will help restore the gut to avoid any additional problems, not try to address an additional problem after it already happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness