Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:15 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm used to having the unpopular opinion in the room, so not many may agree with me, but remember the days when you got the flu and you KNEW it was the flu because it feels like nothing else, certainly not a cold, so you didn't need to go to the doctor to have it officially pronounced the flu, you went home and went to bed? Remember when there was no test, and the doctor couldn't do anything for it anyway, so you went home and went to bed? Remember when there was no Tamiflu, so instead of going to the doctor and then to the pharmacy, spreading your germs all along the way, you just went home and went to bed because there was nothing else to be done and you felt too miserable to do anything else anyway? And remember how that action actually helped contain the spread of the infection? I happen to think all this running around town with a highly infectious and contagious airborne disease is absolute madness, not to mention that you could not only spread, but catch something else in all these places. Does society require enforced quarantines again?

The flu is definitely running rampant around here. The ER and Urgent Care have been way overloaded with sick people and is the last place I'd want to go! I got both a Flu and Pneumonia shot in Sept. and over New Year weekend I got 'something' but not sure what. No aches, pains or fever but LOTS of throwing up. Got dehydrated but couldn't even keep water down. All the first day I either slept or was in the bathroom, but mostly sleeping. Next day not as bad and then thought I could make it to work on the third day. Shouldn't have just because I was still feeling icky. Off the next two days and by the second day I was fine. Some kind of stomach virus I guess and several others had the same thing. I refuse to go to work if I'm really sick but more than three days and I have to deal with corporate so I try to keep it at only one or two.

At work I see a lot of customers now wearing face masks. I don't know how well those things really work but I hope they do. When someone dumps a wagon load of cold and flu remedies on my register I just sorta jump back! I've worked with the public all my life but I have rarely got sick because of it. I've had the flu three times in my life, all about 20 years apart and it's been 18 years for me now. Do NOT want it so do my best to protect myself.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Well 2 children have died because the flu was diagnosed when in fact it was strep.

All viruses are not flu viruses lay people.

I do not agree with telling people to stay home. Flu symptoms are non-specific

Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It has about the same effect as chicken soup.

And chicken soup has the benefit of being full of nutrients and nourishment.
My Mom used to make me homemade Minestrone Soup, both as a child and young adult. Homemade chicken stock with lots of GARLIC, beans, and fresh green veggies. Big time nutrients and nourishment.

BTW, if you cannot eat when you have the flu without vomiting, you don't have influenza, but a stomach virus.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Why not go one step further and stock the house ahead of time just in case you do get the flu?

That's what I did on my last major shopping trip, threw 2 boxes of Tamiflu (store brand) into the basket.

Now, as it is, I tend not to get flu but not because of cell level immunity. I don't take anything for allergies so my heighten physical defenses keep me clear, such as the excess mucus and gale force sneezes.

Still, however.....two weeks ago I had to my prepay for the majority of a dance convention because my "internal check systems" wouldn't give me "flight clearance".

Listen to your body.
There is no over the counter Tamiflu.

There is no such thing as built up cell immunity to flu,it is not measles.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Tamiflu is not just about lessening the days you are sick. It lessens the severity and also lessens the chances
of flu complications that can lead to death.

I have lost someone close with acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by the flu, so
I know personally how the flu can turn deadly.

City Data really should not allow/encourage all this incorrect medical advice being
thrown around.

Yes.

The posters on here must do not know how to Google or are lazy.

Flu deaths have decreased because of all these interventions.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:28 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Everyone can Google studies for themselves. It "may" shorten the length by one or two days. It "may" lessen severity (or that may be the flu shot you got; it does the same). As with any drug, there are risks and side effects. It WON'T prevent complications or deaths.

To Tamiflu or Not to Tamiflu? | National Center for Health Research

Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well 2 children have died because the flu was diagnosed when in fact it was strep.

All viruses are not flu viruses lay people.

I do not agree with telling people to stay home. Flu symptoms are non-specific
I cannot believe they couldn't diagnose the difference between the flu and strep. Having had both countless times as a child and young adult, there is no sneezing/coughing, aches and pains with strep. Severe case of strep you cannot SWALLOW. Your throat turns into a lump where nothing will pass through it. I had a severe cause of strep as a child which went into Scarlet Fever. Even a lay person who has had both should be able to tell the difference. A medical professional can't simply from doing a throat culture?

Personally, I think the media and CDC wants to spread the fear over flu to increase flu vaccinations.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:38 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Tamiflu worked for me, the one time I can remember getting the flu as an adult. I was much better in about 3 days, instead of a week.

I wonder what caused the 1918 flu pandemic? Going to the doctor to get Tamiflu?
Huge numbers of WWI soldiers packed together like sardines in transport and living conditions, mainly. It's airborne, and just breathing the same air spreads the disease. So don't do that if you can help it...

Perhaps you had a strain of the flu that lasts only four days.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:40 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Tamiflu is over-the-counter?
Shhh !!
Facts could mess up a perfectly good hearsay & rumor thread !!!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
[/b]

Yes.

The posters on here must do not know how to Google or are lazy.

Flu deaths have decreased because of all these interventions.
Did you read the Cochrane review?

Do you have a link showing that you deaths have been declining?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness