Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 12:53 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,526,492 times

Advertisements

At least stay home from work! When I was a working mother, you couldn’t bring your children back to daycare when they were sick. Do more people these days have live-in childcare, so the sick kids stay home while their sick parents go to work & spray their germs everywhere?

My daughter, who is married, no kids, & works in tech, gets sick 4-5 times a winter...she says it’s from co-workers coming to work sick, who catch it from their kids. She just got a flu shot, after getting sick & then reinfected.

I got really sick on December 26 & I’m still not well...pretty sure I caught it from a day in “the City”, where we met family on Xmas weekend for the day before heading back to our house for the rest of the holiday. We were in crowded public buildings & on crowded public transportation & people where sneezing & hacking all over. No amount of hand washing or hand gel protects you from that.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There is nothing good about going to work when sick, no one wins.
I agree, but many people have no choice, if they expect to keep their jobs. We need mandatory paid sick leave in this country.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm used to having the unpopular opinion in the room, so not many may agree with me, but remember the days when you got the flu and you KNEW it was the flu because it feels like nothing else, certainly not a cold, so you didn't need to go to the doctor to have it officially pronounced the flu, you went home and went to bed? Remember when there was no test, and the doctor couldn't do anything for it anyway, so you went home and went to bed? Remember when there was no Tamiflu, so instead of going to the doctor and then to the pharmacy, spreading your germs all along the way, you just went home and went to bed because there was nothing else to be done and you felt too miserable to do anything else anyway? And remember how that action actually helped contain the spread of the infection? I happen to think all this running around town with a highly infectious and contagious airborne disease is absolute madness, not to mention that you could not only spread, but catch something else in all these places. Does society require enforced quarantines again?
Why not go one step further and stock the house ahead of time just in case you do get the flu?

That's what I did on my last major shopping trip, threw 2 boxes of Tamiflu (store brand) into the basket.

Now, as it is, I tend not to get flu but not because of cell level immunity. I don't take anything for allergies so my heighten physical defenses keep me clear, such as the excess mucus and gale force sneezes.

Still, however.....two weeks ago I had to my prepay for the majority of a dance convention because my "internal check systems" wouldn't give me "flight clearance".

Listen to your body.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Tamiflu "may" "lessen the severity" of the flu; the last study I read showed it shortening the length by an "estimated" one-and-a-half days. Not worth the risk of spreading it to vulnerable individuals who could die from it (the aforementioned very young, very old, and also the immunocompromised).

And now we have "little clinics" in grocery stores so that you can't even go shopping without being exposed to it.

True, parents can't feel what kids are feeling. So what? Why does it matter what a nose swab proves (and I'm not even mentioning skyrocketing medical costs for all this nonsense). As I recall the flu, you can barely lift your head from the pillow, so that's not a cold. Flu: high fever, body aches, headache, debilitating fatigue. Cold: sneezes, sniffles, stuffy nose, at most a tiny fever. Either way, GO TO BED.

As for employers, the last time I was asked for evidence that I was really sick was when I worked in fast food as a teenager. In my job now, which requires a college degree, I'm treated like an adult. Barring that, maybe a minimum wage job isn't worth your health. You can probably get another one. But again, that doesn't account for the masses trotting off to the doctors like so many sheep when they DON'T need a doctor's excuse or their conviction that they will die without Tamiflu.

Since I mentioned it, how much does this testing and treatment cost the nation? Completely unnecessary and contrary to public health practices.

Get the flu shot, which is free with most insurance plans, and try to avoid the brainwashed.

Last edited by otterhere; 01-23-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 01-23-2018, 07:21 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
My husband went to the ER a few weeks ago with severe lower back pain (small kidney stone). The ER was isolating people into a separate waiting room who were sneezing and coughing. Flu?

Back in June my husband had the flu (vaccination in October). Stayed home until he starting having pain breathing. He went to an Urgent Care Center. Xray showed Pneumonia (had both vaccinations). He was given a 5 day script for antibiotics and sent home. He wasn't isolated then.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Why not go one step further and stock the house ahead of time just in case you do get the flu?

That's what I did on my last major shopping trip, threw 2 boxes of Tamiflu (store brand) into the basket.

Now, as it is, I tend not to get flu but not because of cell level immunity. I don't take anything for allergies so my heighten physical defenses keep me clear, such as the excess mucus and gale force sneezes.

Still, however.....two weeks ago I had to my prepay for the majority of a dance convention because my "internal check systems" wouldn't give me "flight clearance".

Listen to your body.
I'm confused by this. Tamiflu is only available via prescription so there's no way to go to the store and just buy a generic version over the counter.

I agree about stocking up and listening to your body. I tend to stock up on things like elderberry syrup, vitamin c, vitamin D, oil of oregano (herbal anti-viral) honey, tea, before cold and flu season gets going so I will have things already at home to help in case someone at home gets sick. It's really helpful to have it on hand and some of it we some of it as a preventative.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
There are OTC versions of "flu remedy" now (everyone jumps on the bandwagon), but neither is particularly effective, so save your money. Americans have to be "doing something" about everything to maintain the illusion that they're in control. The flu has you. Relax, find a good book, accept it. Eventually -- not overnight -- you'll recover. Deal with it, like we always did...

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Tamiflu "may" "lessen the severity" of the flu; the last study I read showed it shortening the length by an "estimated" one-and-a-half days. Not worth the risk of spreading it to vulnerable individuals who could die from it (the aforementioned very young, very old, and also the immunocompromised).

And now we have "little clinics" in grocery stores so that you can't even go shopping without being exposed to it.

True, parents can't feel what kids are feeling. So what? Why does it matter what a nose swab proves (and I'm not even mentioning skyrocketing medical costs for all this nonsense). As I recall the flu, you can barely lift your head from the pillow, so that's not a cold. Flu: high fever, body aches, headache, debilitating fatigue. Cold: sneezes, sniffles, stuffy nose, at most a tiny fever. Either way, GO TO BED.

As for employers, the last time I was asked for evidence that I was really sick was when I worked in fast food as a teenager. In my job now, which requires a college degree, I'm treated like an adult. Barring that, maybe a minimum wage job isn't worth your health. You can probably get another one. But again, that doesn't account for the masses trotting off to the doctors like so many sheep when they DON'T need a doctor's excuse or their conviction that they will die without Tamiflu.

Since I mentioned it, how much does this testing and treatment cost the nation? Completely unnecessary and contrary to public health practices.

Get the flu shot, which is free with most insurance plans, and try to avoid the brainwashed.
To the bolded: Where I work everyone, from the cleaners on up the tenured professors and the deans have to provide medical documentation for sick absences that exceed 4 days. That includes their own absences and those needed to care for a sick household member.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Tamiflu has some scary side effects and since it is said to only reduce the duration of the flu by one day, I personally don't think it's worth it.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
To the bolded: Where I work everyone, from the cleaners on up the tenured professors and the deans have to provide medical documentation for sick absences that exceed 4 days. That includes their own absences and those needed to care for a sick household member.
Some workplaces have switched to "PTO" banks that include sick time, doctor appt., personal time, and vacation time all in one. For those, they don't care at all why you're gone so there is no special reporting or documentation required unless you get into "family leave" or short term disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness