Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 02:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,946,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Listen, if she has a fever, chills, AND if she hurts all over, it's the flu. She could also be vomiting or sneezing or whatever, but all other symptoms are optional -- it's not flu if she doesn't have the first 3 symptoms I listed. Taking her to a clinic full of sick people, half of whom probably do have the flu, will only expose her to worse and more of it. You can always dial Ask-A-Nurse or email here to get more answers:

Ask a Doctors Question, Get an Answer ASAP!
As I posted previously, it is possible to have flu without having a fever. It used to be felt that fever was absolutely necessary for the diagnosis; in the past 5 years or so that has changed.

I've never used "Ask A Nurse"; my friends who have say they usually direct you to an urgent care center or your doctor's office.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,789,390 times
The only reason I can see to get a flu test is if you want to get Tamiflu. The last thing I'd want to do when dealing with the flu is leave my bed to go sit in a waiting room, expose people to my sickness and get exposed to whatever sickness everyone else in the waiting room is dealing with. If someone wants Tamiflu or is having more severe symptoms then I guess it's worth it to go to the doctor or to Urgent Care but otherwise, might as well just stay home and ride it out.

I hope your daughter is feeling better, CarnivalGal.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:42 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
To answer some questions:

- I posted this before I was able to get a hold of my neighbor, who is a family med doc. She was out of town. She's also the one who told me to go ahead and give her my Tamiflu (which I did) when I did get a hold of her. As I mentioned earlier, it was the same dose and strength, and it is not expired (doesn't expire until 2020). It just had my name on the box instead of hers.

- Her ped does have an after hours line, which I called, but they weren't very helpful. Basically said to get her in for a flu test, rest, etc.

- Gave her Tamiflu yesterday per my instincts and neighbor's (the doctor) OK.

Got her in for her appt this morning. Flu test was negative, but doc is still treating it as the flu. Told me to continue with the Tamiflu for the remainder of the 5-day course.

She says she feels a little better but temp is still hovering around 100.5. So basically, we don't know if it's the flu or not. It's possible the test just didn't pick up whatever strain she has, and it's possible that the Tamiflu knocked down enough of the virus that the test didn't pick it up. It's also possible that she doesn't have the flu, but the doc said she would err on the side of caution since this year's flu is particularly nasty. Tamiflu can also help shorten the duration of other viral illnesses too. For those reasons, and because she typically tolerates it well, I am keeping her on the Tamiflu. Also pumping her full of vitamin D and C. She normally takes those anyway, but we increased the dose. Doctor said that was a good idea.

If it is the flu, she hopefully won't really get too sick because she got the flu shot, which helps some, and started Tamiflu the same day she started showing symptoms.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:51 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,455,582 times
Also wanted to add that she is 13. About 5'1" tall and 103 pounds when she was weighed at the doctor today. Basically adult size. She has not had any gastro issues (no nausea or vomiting), thank goodness. Just fever and achy and generally feeling run down. However, I have had the flu twice that I know of (tested positive) and she has had it once before. Neither of us ever had stomach issues any of those times. Maybe it depends on the strain???? Last time I think she got it from me, so pretty sure it was the same strain. So far, she is the only one in the house who is sick, so I'm guessing she probably got it at school.

Anyway, she's doing a little better. Certainly glad it's not worse. I think another day of rest and Tamiflu, and she'll be good. She hasn't even taken any ibuprofen or anything today. I told her she could, but she said she feels OK and doesn't really need it. Think that's a good sign.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:57 PM

37,181 posts, read 41,383,587 times
Glad she is better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.