Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Most doctors do not test for the flu because it is too expensive.

They just guess you have it by your symptoms.

Your daughter's symptoms as you describe are very mild, low temp. Why do you assume she has the flu?

Old 01-21-2018, 05:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Your daughter's symptoms as you describe are very mild, low temp. Why do you assume she has the flu?
That's what I thought, what flu test? I have NOT had flu very much at all, but I can recall for me a lot of body aches, unlike my normal arthritis aches. For me if I "think" I have the flu I work with my body as if I do. But thank goodness I've been very healthy as far as flu, any kind.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-21-2018 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 05:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

I can't speak for "most doctors" but I can speak for the ones I worked for, 5 pediatricians. We tested most everyone who had the symptoms. There are quick tests you can do in the office. Here's a nice article about flu/flu tests: https://www.verywell.com/how-is-the-...agnosed-770483

ETA: Minute Clinics (CVS) charges $35 for a flu test.
https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/price-lists

Old 01-21-2018, 10:05 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
I don't know where you got that from.

Our HMO tests everyone for flu who comes in thinking they have it. So far they have all been positive.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
The rapid tests are not accurate. Do some reading on their false-negs an false-pos, and how and why and when they occur. I would never rely on a rapid flu test to be an indicator of anything. According to the CDC, a rapid flu test isn't necessary because doctors base the diagnosis on symptoms.

There's a reason they all *have been positive* and I would guess the majority of people who tested positive did NOT have the flu. As far as expensive, to do a lab test, yes it is expensive, because lab testing (ELISA) is accurate.

And an HMO paying for something is no indication of whether something is appropriate or beneficial. They pay -- and don't pay -- for lots of different things that may -- or may not -- benefit individual patients.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:52 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Then why are you asking us? Just curious.

As far as interfering with a flu test, I'm not sure however, Tamiflu is not like an antibiotic; it doesn't kill the flu virus, just keeps it from replicating. My answer? I don't know.

Yes, good point. S/he might even meet you at the office to run a flu test, or recommend you go to an ER for it.

You can have flu without a fever.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/testing.htm

Poor advice. Vomiting and diarrhea are not usually symptoms of flu, though sometimes are present in kids and with H1N1. Even then, they're not the main symptoms. Flu is respiratory. The OP doesn't say how old her child is. Younger kids, particularly kids under 5 and especially kids under two are more prone to complications, and more likely to need Tamiflu. OTOH, it sounds like this child is older as she would use the same dose of Tamiflu as the mom.
Recommendations for Prevention and Control of Influenza in Children, 2017

Yes you can have flu with or without diarrhea and vomiting. Not being able to keep food and fluids down leads to dehydration, and that can be dangerous. I'm a retired respiratory therapist and I can't tell you how many kids I treated in the ER with just colds. A low grade fever without the other symptoms I described is not reason enough to go to the doctor. If you have yellow secretions and a high fever, then yes, go to the doctor.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:05 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
CarnivalGal, how is your daughter doing today?

Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
The rapid tests are not accurate. Do some reading on their false-negs an false-pos, and how and why and when they occur. I would never rely on a rapid flu test to be an indicator of anything. According to the CDC, a rapid flu test isn't necessary because doctors base the diagnosis on symptoms.

There's a reason they all *have been positive* and I would guess the majority of people who tested positive did NOT have the flu. As far as expensive, to do a lab test, yes it is expensive, because lab testing (ELISA) is accurate.

And an HMO paying for something is no indication of whether something is appropriate or beneficial. They pay -- and don't pay -- for lots of different things that may -- or may not -- benefit individual patients.
False positive and false negative rates depend on how prevalent the disease is. If there is a lot of flu circulating then the test is more likely to be a true positive.

The CDC does not say that testing is not necessary at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professional...s/rapidlab.htm

"When Is Use of Rapid Diagnostic Tests Beneficial?
Testing during an outbreak of acute respiratory disease can determine if influenza is the cause and to guide prompt implementation of prevention and control measures.
During influenza season, testing of selected patients presenting with acute respiratory illnesses compatible with influenza can help establish whether influenza is present in a specific patient population and help health-care providers determine how to use their clinical judgment for diagnosing and treating respiratory illness. (Testing need not be done for all patients.)"

ELISA tests look for antibodies, not viral antigens. The more specific test for the virus would be reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Yes, it would be more expensive and take more time to get results.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yes you can have flu with or without diarrhea and vomiting. Not being able to keep food and fluids down leads to dehydration, and that can be dangerous. I'm a retired respiratory therapist and I can't tell you how many kids I treated in the ER with just colds. A low grade fever without the other symptoms I described is not reason enough to go to the doctor. If you have yellow secretions and a high fever, then yes, go to the doctor.
Adults usually do not have vomiting and diarrhea with flu, and the fever may not be high. The color of nasal secretions has no diagnostic value. A yellow or green tint just reflects the presence of white blood cells.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
My question is why test for the flu? Does it change anything if the disease has progressed somewhat and the magic time for Tamilflu is pretty much over?

I am getting over it with the help of a thermometer to track of temperature and an oximeter to track oxygen utilization. I knew if my temp spiked over 102 and/or if my oxygen use was 85% or less to get to a hospital/urgent care. Never got quite that bad and I am on the upswing. Temp is now normal and oxygen is up to 96%. But it was a very hard week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness