Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:51 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times

Advertisements

I'm no stranger to them; I've had a full-body cast applied when I was a youngster, and an IV put through the back of my wrist (heard two nurses congratulating each other that I didn't scream -- as if I wasn't there).

And I understand that some procedures can't involve sedation; but if I can go through a colonoscopy "cold turkey", why is it that procedures like bone marrow and spinal taps can't allow for sedation? (I just want an honest answer without the sugar-coating).

Right now, I'm under pressure to get an EMG; I could understand the rationale, and once a little more is explained to me, I'll likely consent to it. But it makes my blood boil when some bouncy, gushy, 25-year-old receptionist calls me with a big, phony "smile in her voice" to schedule "our" ordeal a month in advance -- makes me feel like a condemned prisoner constantly reminded of the protocol of his/her execution.

NOTE TO THE MEDICAL PROFESSION: If you're going to require a harsh procedure, please try to schedule and conduct it as quickly as possible; sometimes the anticipation is worse than the act itself.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-20-2018 at 01:13 PM..

Old 01-20-2018, 11:56 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Sorry, you aren't the only one waiting for procedures....a month is a standard wait time for specialty MDs and testing in a busy practice.

Old 01-20-2018, 02:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Often, when procedures are scheduled well in advance, it's due to reasons like allowing Billing personnel time to contact insurance to get it pre approved (after all, who wants surprise bills?) and/or the reality that there are only certain days of the week (or even month) that the clinician does procedures or has access to the facilities needed.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:21 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm no stranger to them; I've had a full-body cast applied when I was a youngster, and an IV put through the back of my wrist (heard two nurses congratulating each other that I didn't scream -- as if I wasn't there).

And I understand that some procedures can't involve sedation; but if I can go through a colonoscopy "cold turkey", why is it that procedures like bone marrow and spinal taps can't allow for sedation? (I just want an honest answer without the sugar-coating).

Right now, I'm under pressure to get an EMG; I could understand the rationale, and once a little more is explained to me, I'll likely consent to it. But it makes my blood boil when some bouncy, gushy, 25-year-old receptionist calls me with a big, phony "smile in her voice" to schedule "our" ordeal a month in advance -- makes me feel like a condemned prisoner constantly reminded of the protocol of his/her execution.

NOTE TO THE MEDICAL PROFESSION: If you're going to require a harsh procedure, please try to schedule and conduct it as quickly as possible; sometimes the anticipation is worse than the act itself.
Well, one can always dream about an alternative reality. In the mean time, deal. It could be a lot worse.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
I prefer dealing with receptionists and schedulers with a "smile in her voice" myself. It is not her fault if you are apprehensive about the procedure. You are just the next person on the list that she is calling to get booked. Her being friendly is what she is supposed to do.

If I have a question about the procedure and the scheduler either answers it herself or passes me on to someone who can answer it, I thank her for having been so helpful. If she can't answer it and won't pass me on to someone who can, then I have something to complain about, but otherwise she is doing her job the way she is supposed to no matter how apprehensive I may be.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:

Would you prefer the "bouncy, gushy" 25-year-old receptionist sound gloomy and bleak while scheduling your ordeal for you? She's being professional, polite, and cheerful on the phone..it's her job.

But let's get you to the front of the line and make everybody else wait for their harsh procedures, sure.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:26 PM

6,931 posts, read 218,421 times
FWIW, I had an EMG done a couple years back and it wasn’t particularly painful. This guy administered mild electrical shocks to various parts of my body. Actually, I kind of had fun with it. I just imagined myself as the guy in the game “Operation!” (LOL). I could definitely feel the tingling of the shocks, but he always gave me fair warning prior to each one. This was just one of the steps required before I had my spinal fusion that year. (After that I was pain-free!) It was well worth it, in the end. I definitely understand the agony of long wait-times prior to procedures, though.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:

As frustrating as it may be, I believe they schedule procedures according to what is available plus insurance coverage approval ect. The person doing the scheduling is not being dismissive or intentionally cruel. It may not be ideal but the reality is people typically have to wait a bit on things and that simply is to be expected these days.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Why are you under pressure to get an EMG?

Old 01-20-2018, 11:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
I had an EMG before I really knew anything about it. I didn't think it was that awful. I've had worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness