Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 01:01 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
There is some research that points to your birth year as being significant for immunity towards certain strains of the flu:

Flu risk may be linked to when you were born - CNN

According to the link (which is to the news article, not the actual study):

If you were born from 1918-1957; you were possibly already exposed to H1 as a child, are likely to have a reduced risk of infection from H5 & may possibly have a reduced risk of infection from H1 & H2.

If you were born from 1957-1968; you were possibly already exposed to H2 as a child, are also likely to have a reduced risk of infection from H5 & also may possibly have a reduced risk of infection from H1 & H2.

If you were born after 1968; you were possibly already exposed to H3 as a child, are likely to have a reduced risk of infection from H7 & may possibly have a reduced risk of infection from H3.
Those years of being born and risk of flu, I was born in 1938 (1918-1957 range) and did get a HORRID flu in 1957 and since then hardly anything, 60 yrs have passed and if I got a flu vaccine over those yrs it might have been 1 or 2. So maybe the horrid flu I had in 1957 fixed me for life. I get no vaccines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:34 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
According to a British study done in 2014, 70% of people infected with influenza are asymptomatic. Let's correlate from this study.

At best the flu shot is only 60% effective. "You should still get it anyway since it will prevent severe reactions and hospitalization." So you can get your flu shot, catch the flu, and the vast majority of people will be asymptomatic according to the British study? So you may think your flu shot has kept you from catching the flu, but maybe not?

Another very recent study. Flu can be contagious within 6 feet of breathing the same airspace whether a person is sneezing, coughing, or just talking.

What is a Nervous Nellie to do? Hibernate in your home, or take a cue from the Japanese and wear a mask out in public wherever you go. Might want to carry some disinfectant wipes around with you too.

I think the majority of us will just go on living and enjoying our lives. Life is far too short to worry that you can die any day.

Edit: I had the 1957 Flu, the 1968 Flu, and probably most of the other flues going around before those and after. I have never had a flu shot in my life, and haven't been sick (asymptomatic in my old age?) with flu in over 20 years, despite working in public schools, around sick grandson and husband who had the flu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness