Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 10:13 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, I was always sick. (Infant-->HS, but decreasingly so as I got older.)

From mid-20s through now, I am hardly sick. I just went like two years without even getting a cold. (And I take disgusting public transit almost every day.) I actually just had a bad one last week but I just started working a second job, so I think the hit to my sleep wore me down a little. I think people who run on little sleep and constant stress open themselves up to more maladies.

I believe there are people who practically never get sick and there are people who are always sick. I had a coworker like the latter---she had the mumps when she was like twenty-five. That girl caught everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Worked in public schools from my 40's into my 60's. Been through that 2009 Flu Pandemic with sick little kids wiping their hands in my face, colds, strep, stomach virus, pink eye, etc. Never got sick. Want to know how much vomit, Urine, and Feces, I have breathed and cleaned up? Far more than from my own TWO children growing up.
You're so amazing

Old 01-19-2018, 01:04 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
When you do eventually get the flu or a cold, it will take you down hard.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:30 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
You're so amazing
No, some of us have paid our dues and are now reaping the rewards, and built our immunity from past diseases and infections. My generation had all those childhood diseases and now have lifetime immunity.

Cheaters! You need your immunizations anyway. ONLY vaccinations can give you immunity.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
No, some of us have paid our dues and are now reaping the rewards, and built our immunity from past diseases and infections. My generation had all those childhood diseases and now have lifetime immunity.

Cheaters! You need your immunizations anyway. ONLY vaccinations can give you immunity.
No one claims that ONLY vaccinations can provide immunity, as you well know.

The only "lifetime immunity" you have is to diseases you actually had. That does not provide immunity to other diseases, including colds and flu. Of course, you have to survive the disease in order to be immune to it. Millions did not survive the diseases we have vaccines for now. The survivors also had to be sick, sometimes seriously so, even though they did not die.

The immunity to things you have had is not perfect, either. For example, it is possible to get whooping cough more than once, and having had chickenpox makes you at risk to get shingles.

The beauty of vaccination is that you become immune without having to be sick and risk dying first.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:08 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
When I was younger, I was always sick. (Infant-->HS, but decreasingly so as I got older.)

From mid-20s through now, I am hardly sick. I just went like two years without even getting a cold. (And I take disgusting public transit almost every day.) I actually just had a bad one last week but I just started working a second job, so I think the hit to my sleep wore me down a little. I think people who run on little sleep and constant stress open themselves up to more maladies.

I believe there are people who practically never get sick and there are people who are always sick. I had a coworker like the latter---she had the mumps when she was like twenty-five. That girl caught everything!
I can relate to your experience, when I was younger, I would get illnesses that had fever, really bad colds or they were flu, chills, sweats, nausea, really bad, but as I got older in my late teens, 20s and since I have not had the flu (knock on wood), but lately I've been under a great deal of stress in my life and I have had a lot of worries so now I worry about worrying too much, which I keep reading can lower my immunity. I think I do have a good immunity but my stressors have been many the last couple of weeks. I keep reading about the flu and how normally healthy people, including children, are dying from this strain, it seems particularly bad this year. I do believe little sleep, stress can lower one's immunity allowing viruses and what not to get the upper hand. The one mantra I keep in mind is that worrying does not solve any problems, it's magical thinking to believe otherwise.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:30 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Do you have kids?

If not, go volunteer with some for a few days and let me know how that immune system holds up for ya
Exactly, my dad rarely got sick but had multiple colds the two years he drove a school bus.

As for me, I find lots of hand washing helps.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:

But why get chicken pox so that I could possibly get shingles later if I don't have to? Pffft. That doesn't apply to me since I had it but whatever.

My dad had all kinds of crap when he was a kid and he still gets sick all of the time. So paying his dues doesn't help him, I guess.

Quote:
Exactly, my dad rarely got sick but had multiple colds the two years he drove a school bus.

As for me, I find lots of hand washing helps.
I never had fifth disease until I was working in a school one year. That's when I got the "primarily childhood illness."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness