Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

This subject is in another post on anti depressants but think it deserves it's own place here.

Well sure enough, here it is on thyroid and hot flashes. My body suffered thru this from 1991-2002 (finally got on thyroid med) and during those years had very active menopause. Thyroid is so overlooked and misdiagnosed. As I said those numbers are not what it's all about, it's symptoms. Numbers today are MD's guidelines set up by the medical groups but before the numbers, MD's put people on thyroid supports with symptoms.

Just thinking and I think of my own mother and she lived to 91, and thyroid was never mentioned that I can ever remember. Something tells me she went all her life without support. Most likely MANY of the women in her lifetime. If they did get support, there were no labs and doctors went by symptoms if they had smart doctors and then back then so many did not go to doctors.

https://www.sharecare.com/health/thy...ed-hot-flashes

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-13-2018 at 08:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:53 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
The doctor in your link recommends measuring thyroid function numbers. If the numbers are normal, then the odds are that any symptoms the patient has are not due to abnormal thyroid function.

If you take thyroid medication when it is not indicated all you do is shut down a normal thyroid. It makes a great placebo.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The doctor in your link recommends measuring thyroid function numbers. If the numbers are normal, then the odds are that any symptoms the patient has are not due to abnormal thyroid function.

If you take thyroid medication when it is not indicated all you do is shut down a normal thyroid. It makes a great placebo.
Well, all I can say I went 10 long years with depression, number of A/D drugs, and once on thyroid support the depression lifted. Coincidence?

Today, all doctors check with numbers. The D.O. who put me on Armour in 2002, did no labs, he knew as he was from the original old medical schools. Even the integrative MD I see does numbers. But I'm so thankful for the D.O. and his medical knowledge. I just know the depression was gone and that was a 10 yr nightmare.

I don't care what the med is doing with the thyroid, I'm good now, and I was 63 when finally put on the med.

So many, thousands/millions, I have no idea how much, are taking A/D drugs and could very well need thyroid support, but due to numbers don't get it. I'm so thankful to be off the cocktails of drugs for depression.

Suzy, there are many schools of healing.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Well, all I can say I went 10 long years with depression, number of A/D drugs, and once on thyroid support the depression lifted. Coincidence?

Today, all doctors check with numbers. The D.O. who put me on Armour in 2002, did no labs, he knew as he was from the original old medical schools. Even the integrative MD I see does numbers. But I'm so thankful for the D.O. and his medical knowledge. I just know the depression was gone and that was a 10 yr nightmare.

I don't care what the med is doing with the thyroid, I'm good now, and I was 63 when finally put on the med.

So many, thousands/millions, I have no idea how much, are taking A/D drugs and could very well need thyroid support, but due to numbers don't get it. I'm so thankful to be off the cocktails of drugs for depression.

Suzy, there are many schools of healing.
There is a strong placebo effect with treating depression. You were convinced you had a thyroid problem even though your "numbers" were normal. Once you got what you wanted - thyroid medication - your depression got better.

All that matters is that you personally feel better.

What is wrong is trying to convince other people that they should be on thyroid medication for whatever ails them even if their "numbers" are normal.

If the "numbers" are normal "thyroid support" is not needed.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 PM

We are so brainwashed that we are NUMBERS..

We are symptoms.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
We are so brainwashed that we are NUMBERS..

We are symptoms.
One symptom can be due to many different causes. You insist on ignoring well established test results that show that thyroid function is either normal or not.

If the thyroid function studies are normal, the thyroid function is normal. Another reason for the symptom needs to be found.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
One symptom can be due to many different causes. You insist on ignoring well established test results that show that thyroid function is either normal or not.

If the thyroid function studies are normal, the thyroid function is normal. Another reason for the symptom needs to be found.
I question so much as it's due to where I've been, you say I insist on ignoring the well established test results. I listened to those test results for 10 yrs and kept chugging down anti depressants for the depression issue. Why wouldn't I question it all.

One endo even touching my throat, said you are fine, but you have Fibro. They he worked to get me on his Fibro meds. Yes, I question.

A person can have the greatest numbers in the doctor's eyes/mind and still be living with a sluggish thyroid. So I believe many are missed in all this thyroid business. We are not numbers.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-14-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
A person can have the greatest numbers in the doctor's eyes/mind and still be living with a sluggish thyroid.
No, that is not true. It is far more common to find mild abnormalities in the numbers in patients who have no symptoms of thyroid disease at all. Their problem is subclinical.

My only argument with you is your insistence that there are large numbers of people walking around who have thyroid problems but whose test results are normal. There are not.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
No, that is not true. It is far more common to find mild abnormalities in the numbers in patients who have no symptoms of thyroid disease at all. Their problem is subclinical.

My only argument with you is your insistence that there are large numbers of people walking around who have thyroid problems but whose test results are normal. There are not.
These are MY opinions and Yes I believe many need support and not getting it. And also believe the synthetics (Levo) are leaving people unsupported optimally.

As normal, we disagree and that is what it is.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
These are MY opinions and Yes I believe many need support and not getting it. And also believe the synthetics (Levo) are leaving people unsupported optimally.

As normal, we disagree and that is what it is.
Your opinions and beliefs are contrary to human physiology. I am glad you are happy with your treatment. I am explaining to others here on CD that people with normal thyroid function tests do not need "support" - which is an alt-med term anyway and pretty much meaningless - for their thyroids. The proper term is thyroid replacement therapy, and it is not necessary to replace thyroid hormone if you are not deficient in thyroid hormone.

"Synthetic" levothyroxine is chemically exactly the same as the "natural" substance produced by the thyroid. The vast majority of people who do not make enough levothyroxine do quite well when they take levothyroxine. It is simply replacing what they are missing. For the few who need additional hormone, the "numbers" can tell the doctor that it is needed. Modern thyroid function studies are highly sensitive and specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness