Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:46 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And I know 2 friends who could not wait to get off Syn and get to a doc who worked with desiccated thyroid. I don't know MANY and I guess you do ...

And I can't get it how a med made in the labs can be identical to our human thyroid gland hormone...don't need any explanation. Leave me with my thinking as I have no desire for Syn product.
You know, saying you do not understand the chemistry and do not want to hear an explanation hardly adds to your credibility. Thyroxine is not a complex chemical.

By the way, the T4 in your desiccated thyroid is also exactly the same as the T4 in Synthroid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 08:17 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your opinions and beliefs are contrary to human physiology. I am glad you are happy with your treatment. I am explaining to others here on CD that people with normal thyroid function tests do not need "support" - which is an alt-med term anyway and pretty much meaningless - for their thyroids. The proper term is thyroid replacement therapy, and it is not necessary to replace thyroid hormone if you are not deficient in thyroid hormone.

"Synthetic" levothyroxine is chemically exactly the same as the "natural" substance produced by the thyroid. The vast majority of people who do not make enough levothyroxine do quite well when they take levothyroxine. It is simply replacing what they are missing. For the few who need additional hormone, the "numbers" can tell the doctor that it is needed. Modern thyroid function studies are highly sensitive and specific.
A sage voice of medical sanity. LOL

Ok, waht did I say? Heheee

Old 01-14-2018, 08:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You know, saying you do not understand the chemistry and do not want to hear an explanation hardly adds to your credibility. Thyroxine is not a complex chemical.

By the way, the T4 in your desiccated thyroid is also exactly the same as the T4 in Synthroid.
The same, huh? I have been taking NT for a couple yrs and here are the ingredients:

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/20...nature-throid/

Old 01-14-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:

The Deranged Housewife: Synthroid vs. Armour: Squashing the competition

When synthroid came on the market place I read off and on so many issues with all this "new product"...for years it was NEVER approved by the FDA. Did you know that?
No thanks. I get my medical info from doctors and scientists, not blogging housewives.

It wasn't "approved" by the FDA because it was not required to be. It had already been on the market for 46 years before problems with control of potency led the FDA to ask for a new drug application. Various manufacturers then provided those. The "issues" were fixed. Potency of desiccated thyroid is far more variable than that of levothyroxine.

After 46 Years of Sales, Thyroid Drug Needs F.D.A. Approval - The New York Times

Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
The same, huh? I have been taking NT for a couple yrs and here are the ingredients:

https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/20...nature-throid/
What in the world do you think is in "Porcine Thyroid Powder"?

"Thyroid USP: The specifications for Thyroid USP powder require that each grain contains 34.2-41.8 mcg levothyroxine (T4) ..."

Bless your heart, did you really think that you were not getting exactly the same thing as synthroid in your pig thyroid?

The batch to batch variation in the amount of levothyroxine in powdered pig thyroid is much greater than is allowed in any "synthetic" levothyroxine.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
And I can't get it how a med made in the labs can be identical to our human thyroid gland hormone...don't need any explanation.

Well, you're gonna get one, albeit very simple....chemicals. They are all chemicals. There is no chemical made in a lab that does not already have the ingredients lying around in nature. That is how T4 is "synthesized". Whether is it "synthesized" in the human body or "synthesized" in a lab makes no difference as to the finished product. A chemical is a chemical is a chemical.

When synthroid came on the market place I read off and on so many issues with all this "new product"...for years it was NEVER approved by the FDA. Did you know that? Isn't that the case with all new drugs?
They watch them for a few years before they approve them?

I'm not totally against Armour, but I don't like fanaticism in anything. If I were found to need thyroid medicine and the brand-name stuff made me feel worse and just didn't work (works for my mom, though) I would give Armour a try before I just gave up.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
And I know 2 friends who could not wait to get off Syn and get to a doc who worked with desiccated thyroid. I don't know MANY and I guess you do ...

And I can't get it how a med made in the labs can be identical to our human thyroid gland hormone...don't need any explanation. Leave me with my thinking as I have no desire for Syn product.

Some may enjoy reading this site:

The Deranged Housewife: Synthroid vs. Armour: Squashing the competition

When synthroid came on the market place I read off and on so many issues with all this "new product"...for years it was NEVER approved by the FDA. Did you know that?
Ever hear of a new disease called "Diabetes"??? Maybe it wasn't a "word when your parents were alive" I know that's how you usually decide on the validity of medical terms in our language...

This newly discovered disease called "Diabetes" is managed with....get this....a "synthetic man made hormone"....seems to be working out OK from what I hear....

This Diabetes thing also seems to be managed by "numbers" though in the past I hear it was managed by things like thirst and such "symptoms"....managing it by the "numbers" seems to be working out OK...

But what do these new fangled doctors with all their "numbers" know....lets go back to managing diabetes with symptoms too.....numbers??? We don't need no stinking numbers!

Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Quote:
Isn't that the case with all new drugs?
They watch them for a few years before they approve them?
With Synthroid the reason that it was not "approved" is that it had been around a long time before the FDA instituted its modern testing requirements. Jamin is trying to make it sound as if the manufacturer could not get it approved for some reason, which is not true and being deliberately misleading.

Quote:
I'm not totally against Armour, but I don't like fanaticism in anything. If I were found to need thyroid medicine and the brand-name stuff made me feel worse and just didn't work (works for my mom, though) I would give Armour a try before I just gave up.
The reason that Armour is not the preferred prescription product is that it is not natural for humans. It has a higher amount of T3 compared to T4 than humans naturally make. That may result in making someone who takes it slightly hyperthyroid. There was one study done that showed absolutely no difference in the effects of levothyroxine alone versus desiccated thyroid except for slightly more weight loss with the desiccated. They did find a group of patients who expressed a preference for the desiccated product though the majority of people did not care which one they took. It may be that some people prefer being slightly hyper, but that is not good, particularly for the heart.

If someone with proven hypothyroidism prefers the desiccated stuff that's hunky dory. Have at it. I think they have bought the "natural is better" bill of goods - even when desiccated thyroid is not natural for humans and levothyroxine synthesized in a factory is. However, advocating treatment for hypothyroidism because of a symptom, whether it is depression or hot flashes, when blood tests show normal thyroid function is just wrong. From a physician's point of view it would be malpractice. It also would mean not searching for the real cause of the patient's symptoms and treating it appropriately.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:02 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Ever hear of a new disease called "Diabetes"??? Maybe it wasn't a "word when your parents were alive" I know that's how you usually decide on the validity of medical terms in our language...

This newly discovered disease called "Diabetes" is managed with....get this....a "synthetic man made hormone"....seems to be working out OK from what I hear....

This Diabetes thing also seems to be managed by "numbers" though in the past I hear it was managed by things like thirst and such "symptoms"....managing it by the "numbers" seems to be working out OK...

But what do these new fangled doctors with all their "numbers" know....lets go back to managing diabetes with symptoms too.....numbers??? We don't need no stinking numbers!
We're talking thyroid and HOT FLASHES and it's connection. No I never heard of diabetes!!!!

Old 01-15-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

How about returning to the good ole days when diabetes was diagnosed by tasting the patient's urine to see if it was sweet! The ancient Egyptians were also aware of the condition and noted the patient's urine could attract ants. Perhaps that's the way to go. The ants would work for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness