Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:18 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The doctor in your link recommends measuring thyroid function numbers. If the numbers are normal, then the odds are that any symptoms the patient has are not due to abnormal thyroid function.

If you take thyroid medication when it is not indicated all you do is shut down a normal thyroid. It makes a great placebo.
Mine was within the normal but on the very low side of the norm.

Doctor put me on a low dose and boy what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was over 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Your opinions and beliefs are contrary to human physiology. I am glad you are happy with your treatment. I am explaining to others here on CD that people with normal thyroid function tests do not need "support" - which is an alt-med term anyway and pretty much meaningless - for their thyroids. The proper term is thyroid replacement therapy, and it is not necessary to replace thyroid hormone if you are not deficient in thyroid hormone.

"Synthetic" levothyroxine is chemically exactly the same as the "natural" substance produced by the thyroid. The vast majority of people who do not make enough levothyroxine do quite well when they take levothyroxine. It is simply replacing what they are missing. For the few who need additional hormone, the "numbers" can tell the doctor that it is needed. Modern thyroid function studies are highly sensitive and specific.
A someone who has had a thyroid problem from a very early age I can say that the medication that I take normalizes my thyroid because as you say, its just a synthetic version of the exact same thing. I have never had an issue with thyroid medication. You are trying to talk sense to someone who thinks grape seed extract will cure everything, and that any kind of prescribed medications are just big Pharma trying to kill you.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Mine was within the normal but on the very low side of the norm.

Doctor put me on a low dose and boy what a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was over 15 years ago.
Your doctor did measure your numbers and use them to guide his treatment, though, didn't he? Jamin is insisting everyone with hot flashes should take thyroid medication without regard to the test results.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:44 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Your doctor did measure your numbers and use them to guide his treatment, though, didn't he? Jamin is insisting everyone with hot flashes should take thyroid medication without regard to the test results.
I am on thyroid medication even though mine was only low-normal, but I also have a fibrosing thyroiditis so my endo put me on levothyroxine as part of the treatment.

I've never had hot flashes, though, not even when going through menopause.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
A someone who has had a thyroid problem from a very early age I can say that the medication that I take normalizes my thyroid because as you say, its just a synthetic version of the exact same thing. I have never had an issue with thyroid medication. You are trying to talk sense to someone who thinks grape seed extract will cure everything, and that any kind of prescribed medications are just big Pharma trying to kill you.
No, grape seed ex would not get my thyroid optimal or I would have been in good shape. Can't resist these kinds of comments, right?

Old 01-14-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Good grief, where an I INSISTING? Putting words in my comments that I never used.

As for my D.O. who got me on Armour, he did NOT do any labs...called in CVS for low theraputic dose and we went from there.

For the 10 yrs every doctor I saw did all the crazy labs and said I was fine...like they knew how I felt.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Maybe he just went by previous lab results?

In the post above Jamin says there were lots of tests done before

Old 01-14-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good grief, where an I INSISTING? Putting words in my comments that I never used.

As for my D.O. who got me on Armour, he did NOT do any labs...called in CVS for low theraputic dose and we went from there.

For the 10 yrs every doctor I saw did all the crazy labs and said I was fine...like they knew how I felt.
What you have said is, "So many, thousands/millions, I have no idea how much, are taking A/D drugs and could very well need thyroid support, but due to numbers don't get it."

No, there are not "So many, thousands/millions" being treated for depression who would be just fine if only they were taking thyroid "support" despite having normal thyroid function studies.

"Support" is the word used by supplement manufacturers because they cannot claim a product treats a medical condition without proving it.

Treatment of hypothyroidism diagnosed with proper testing is not "supporting" a thyroid. It is replacing missing hormones that the gland is not producing enough of. A thyroid gland does not need to be "supported". It is not going to fall out of your neck.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11668132/

"Thyroxine was no more effective than placebo in improving cognitive function and psychological wellbeing in patients with symptoms of hypothyroidism but thyroid function tests within the reference range. Thyroxine did not improve cognitive function and psychological wellbeing in healthy participants."

Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Maybe he just went by previous lab results?

In the post above Jamin says there were lots of tests done before
Jamin has never had abnormal thyroid function studies. She found a doctor who was willing to give her thyroid medication with no evidence that she was hypothyroid.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Your opinions and beliefs are contrary to human physiology. I am glad you are happy with your treatment. I am explaining to others here on CD that people with normal thyroid function tests do not need "support" - which is an alt-med term anyway and pretty much meaningless - for their thyroids. The proper term is thyroid replacement therapy, and it is not necessary to replace thyroid hormone if you are not deficient in thyroid hormone.

"Synthetic" levothyroxine is chemically exactly the same as the "natural" substance produced by the thyroid. The vast majority of people who do not make enough levothyroxine do quite well when they take levothyroxine. It is simply replacing what they are missing. For the few who need additional hormone, the "numbers" can tell the doctor that it is needed. Modern thyroid function studies are highly sensitive and specific.
Absolutely NOT the same...I don't know how many times this has been brought up here.

Synthroid (Levo) = T4 only

Desiccated (Armour, NT, WP) = T4, T3, T2, T1 and Calcitonin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness