Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,234 times

Advertisements

has anyone dealt with a metatarsal fracture/stress fracture? I’ve been dealing with one for 6 months now on my left foot, DR says it’s the 3rd metatarsal. I’ve been in therapy for a while with no improvement. He said if it continues not to heal, then I’ll need surgery. I also have a stress fracture in my right foot of the 3rd metatarsal. Am I alone or has someone else dealt with this? Or something similar?

Last edited by dejlo; 01-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,207,524 times
Just got the boot off after 3 weeks for a suspected stress fracture. My doc finally cleared me to return to normal activities.

My friend was in two boots last year for about 8 weeks. One boot for fractured toes, the other for a stress fracture.

I'm beginning to believe it happens as we get older. It takes longer for things to heal. Has your doctor suggested a bone density test?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:23 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I fractured the 5th (little toe) metatarsal in my left foot back in 1989 and my foot never, ever really recovered. Because it was always weak, I re-fractured it in both 2007 and 2012. Now I can't do any jumping or pivoting exercises or run or walk long distances without pain, and now I have to wear support shoes all the time. That original fracture really messed me up permanently.

One good thing is that I've discovered that Spenco shoes provide the right kind of support I need for my metatarsal problem area. That brand of shoes are comfortable, and some aren't too ugly!

Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I dont understand why people are reluctant to have foot surgery. Is it because of the recovery restrictions?

Twenty years ago, I was a runner and didnt wear the right kind of shoes when running on cement. As a result, six years ago I had to have surgery to fuse all five joints of my lis franc area (across the middle of the foot). I was non-bearing for 5+ months during the recovery process. I took the non-weight bearing advice seriously and bought a wheelchair to ensure that I didnt put any weight on my foot. Because I didnt put any weight on my foot, I didnt have much discomfort and needed only OTC meds for pain.

My surgeon suggested that I get physical therapy but I didnt. However, because I followed the non-weight bearing advice, I was able to heal well without therapy. I have no pain at all in that foot and am hoping to have the same fusion surgery on the other foot soon.

I'm sure that your recovery wouldnt be as restricted or as lengthy as mine was, but I'm also sure that you'll be as happy with your results if you follow your surgeon's instructions.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 1,234 times
I had a bone scan Dec 28th and found out that I have a stress fracture in my 3rd metatarsal on my left foot, and a fracture on my medial cuneiform, and also a 3rd metatarsal fracture on my right foot. My left foot has been bothering me since July 2017, my right foot doesn’t hurt anymore. If I have to get surgery that’s fine, just kinda mad because it took 3 doctors and 6 months before I got my actual diagnosis. No one saw the fractures until I got a bone scan.
The doctor asked if my foot hurt by my 1st metatarsal because there was highlighted areas of the magnetic stuff there. All my pain is on the top and by my 5th metatarsal. I find that weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness