Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 08:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

I'm going to make a doctor's appointment soon about a faint clicking noise I've started hearing over the last week, especially at night. I'm guessing it's tinnitus. I've had cataract surgery recently and hate to start another series of doctor appointments, but obviously I have to.

It really scares me as I had Stage 1A ovarian cancer about six years ago. I hope it's not a tumor. Scary. I'll fight for my life, for sure, but it's such a distraction.

Mostly it's not occurring during the day, and it's not loud, but I just hate having something else like this to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 08:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Tinnitus is annoying, and I wish I didn't have it. But I've had it for years, for no particular reason that anyone can determine, and it is almost always not associated with a tumor. So have it checked out, because there are things that help in some cases, but don't spend any time worrying about it.

Last edited by jacqueg; 12-25-2017 at 08:36 PM..

Old 12-25-2017, 08:21 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I have it, too, always have, but it's been out of control the last week or so. It's definitely more noticeable at night when there's less other noise to distract you.

There are other things a clicking noise can be, like TMJ, arthritis, ear wax, probably things I don't know. If it's tinnitus, good luck if anyone knows what causes it.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have it, too, always have, but it's been out of control the last week or so. It's definitely more noticeable at night when there's less other noise to distract you.

There are other things a clicking noise can be, like TMJ, arthritis, ear wax, probably things I don't know. If it's tinnitus, good luck if anyone knows what causes it.
I had an MRI and genetic testing, and the upshot was that the doctor said (somewhat sadly) "I don't know why you have hearing loss and tinnitus."

Don't worry OP, your doctor will likely not put you through what my doctor put me through. I have tinnitus in both ears, and hearing loss in the conversational range in one ear. This is an unusual pattern, and my doctor DID want to rule out a tumor. The result of all that? No tumor.

A lot of people find that white noise really helps, especially at night. A lot of people also find that their tinnitus is worse after they've been in a noisy situation. Both of those are true for me.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I've had it off and on for some yrs and I think mine was is due to ibuprofen...But not sure...just realized I hardly have it at all lately. I upped dose of grape seed ex for some foot edema so maybe that did it too.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've had it off and on for some yrs and I think mine was is due to ibuprofen...But not sure...just realized I hardly have it at all lately. I upped dose of grape seed ex for some foot edema so maybe that did it too.
Oh, I take way too much Ibuprofen for degenerative osteoarthritis, which was diagnosed after four chemos.

This clicking just started a few days ago. How annoying. I also take too much Melatonin to help me sleep. Maybe I should stop that, too. Great.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:41 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Oh, I take way too much Ibuprofen for degenerative osteoarthritis, which was diagnosed after four chemos.

This clicking just started a few days ago. How annoying. I also take too much Melatonin to help me sleep. Maybe I should stop that, too. Great.
Try some natural anti inflammatories, like bromelain and curcumin. I would get off the ibuprofen, taking large amounts of that stuff will damage your health.

By the way, I have tinnitus, had it as long as I can remember (I am 68) it waxes and wanes and changes. Been checked out, couldn't find anything wrong. In my case I am almost certain it is due to neck/jaw/upper back issues, as well as chronic allergies.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:06 AM

OP, if you live in a state with medical marijuana, consider trying it for your osteoarthritis - https://www.disabled-world.com/medic...rarthritis.php

Many people also find that medical marijuana helps with sleep issues.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OP, if you live in a state with medical marijuana, consider trying it for your osteoarthritis - https://www.disabled-world.com/medic...rarthritis.php

Many people also find that medical marijuana helps with sleep issues.
Believe me, I would love to but I live in Texas!!

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-26-2017 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Believe me, I would live to but I live in Texas!!
My sympathies!

Well, keep on eye out here -

https://www.mpp.org/states/texas/

Things might change soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness