Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 06:21 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Tinnitus has no know origin and no know cure and is just an annoyance.
"Tinnitus may affect around 10%–15% of the population; severe tinnitus is very debilitating (1%–2% of the population)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1160594/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 07:19 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm going to make a doctor's appointment soon about a faint clicking noise I've started hearing over the last week, especially at night. I'm guessing it's tinnitus. I've had cataract surgery recently and hate to start another series of doctor appointments, but obviously I have to.

It really scares me as I had Stage 1A ovarian cancer about six years ago. I hope it's not a tumor. Scary. I'll fight for my life, for sure, but it's such a distraction.

Mostly it's not occurring during the day, and it's not loud, but I just hate having something else like this to deal with.
You hear it only at night? Are you sure it isn't your old, analog alarm clock, finally starting to wear out?

Old 12-27-2017, 07:23 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Many causes here, for me anyways, starting with loud music (teens/early adult), machine noise (military) both of which led to slight hearing loss. I'm also thinking hereditary (some of the relatives on paternal side have/had it).

Hypo thyroid (dx'd by dr when very young). Had many occasions of breaking out in hives, took those antibiotics and other prescription meds.

Stress related from jobs. Always wanted to do my best and then some. I'm my worst critic.

Then, a few slips (ice storms) where I hit the back of my head.

The tinnitus for me comes and goes over the years. Sometimes it can be a royal pain and other times a slight annoyance. I think my sounds are between a hissing or sometimes the high pitched tea kettle whistle and even a triad bell/musical instrument (although that has happened only once or twice). Tinnitus sounds seem mostly from my left ear. Have had it with both as well.

Many thanks for posting the links. One I've read but the other, audio, will check out later when I can grab a pair of earphones. Mr C and me watching movie/s on tv. Don't want to risk disturbing him.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
The theater I use has what they call a "gooseneck". It's a small closed caption screen at the end of a flexible gooseneck with a base that fits in the cupholder. If you don't mind being seen with it I find it's perfect.
The Regal theaters have glasses that project captions for me. Sort of a pita but effective.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:57 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,691,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I had an MRI and genetic testing, and the upshot was that the doctor said (somewhat sadly) "I don't know why you have hearing loss and tinnitus."

Don't worry OP, your doctor will likely not put you through what my doctor put me through. I have tinnitus in both ears, and hearing loss in the conversational range in one ear. This is an unusual pattern, and my doctor DID want to rule out a tumor. The result of all that? No tumor.

A lot of people find that white noise really helps, especially at night. A lot of people also find that their tinnitus is worse after they've been in a noisy situation. Both of those are true for me.
Buy a fish tank motor and that'll drown outside noise. Go to a pet store and visit their fish tanks. You'll hear how they sound and see if that works.

My husband lost some hearing. He wear ear protection, especially when he's doing yard work. I'm sure everyone realizes to turn down the music, don't play things too loud. And think of others when your car stereo bass is jacked up -- I have to sit in traffic and finger plug both ears -- Yet I still get a headache.

As for tinnitus - Watch your salt, sometimes the problem is swelling in the inner ear. And it helps to use liquid ear cleaner instead of Q-tips. And I also need to take my own advise and pick up some ear plugs and set a pair in my car.

Another tip . . . Don't reuse those store bought ear plugs. My hubby did that and got an ear infection. !!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
I was hoping the hydrogen peroxide would clean out ear wax and resolve the problem. Not so far. Still clicking away. Not all the time, and not accompanied with the loud noises other posters have mentioned.

I feel so badly for those of you who have so much more severe form of this than I do. And
I'm so glad I posted this. Having your responses has been a big psychological support.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:04 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Stress can bring on Tinnitus? Now I think I know what generated my first occasion with Tinnitus.

Last week, the last flight of the day was cancelled, at 1am, from LAX, and all flights were booked the next day to Vegas.

Hobson's Choice: I had to rent a car and drive from L.A., at 2am, despite my having been up 22 hours, have night vision, shouldn't be on the road at night, but I had my roommate along to help keep me on the road. It was one of the most stressful, nightmarish car rides I've ever done. The stress: Will I fall asleep at the wheel and die on this trip?

Also from one post, it might just be temporary. I hope-hope-hope!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:58 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,314,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Try some natural anti inflammatories, like bromelain and curcumin. I would get off the ibuprofen, taking large amounts of that stuff will damage your health.

By the way, I have tinnitus, had it as long as I can remember (I am 68) it waxes and wanes and changes. Been checked out, couldn't find anything wrong. In my case I am almost certain it is due to neck/jaw/upper back issues, as well as chronic allergies.
Me too. I even brought up the allergy issues to my doctors and they both said no, it's not allergy related... but I don't know if I completely believe that.

OP.. watch your caffeine intake too. Caffeine makes it worse. Right now I'm drinking my morning coffee... and it sounds like a major gas leak in my hears. Lol. I get a constant hissing sound, sometimes really loud, sometimes hardly noticeable and sometimes I only hear it one ear and not the other. It's weird.

and please relax. Get it checked out but I highly doubt it's a tumor. It's probably ear wax.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:15 AM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
The Regal theaters have glasses that project captions for me. Sort of a pita but effective.
That seems like a good idea but what if the movie you want to see is a 3D?

Old 12-28-2017, 09:31 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Me too. I even brought up the allergy issues to my doctors and they both said no, it's not allergy related... but I don't know if I completely believe that.

OP.. watch your caffeine intake too. Caffeine makes it worse. Right now I'm drinking my morning coffee... and it sounds like a major gas leak in my hears. Lol. I get a constant hissing sound, sometimes really loud, sometimes hardly noticeable and sometimes I only hear it one ear and not the other. It's weird.

and please relax. Get it checked out but I highly doubt it's a tumor. It's probably ear wax.
I have two cups of coffee in the morning but no caffeine during the day; I do decaf green tea. A new study came out recently, indicating that coffee extends life. It may also counter dementia.

Have dr. appt, 2 weeks.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 12-28-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness