Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:32 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
My sympathies!

Well, keep on eye out here -

https://www.mpp.org/states/texas/

Things might change soon.

That would be lovely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 09:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
My tinnitus is definitely linked to my grinding my teeth at night. It took me a while to realize this and my nightguard definitely helps (when I wear it.)

Old 12-26-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
My tinnitus is definitely linked to my grinding my teeth at night. It took me a while to realize this and my nightguard definitely helps (when I wear it.)
The rhythmic, light clicking seems to be going on and off for no discernable reason. I'm stopping the Ibuprofen, needless to say. Using a hair dryer to blow warm air in my right ear seems to have some effect but does not stop the problem.

At first it was only at night, but now it's daytime, too.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:21 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
The rhythmic, light clicking seems to be going on and off for no discernable reason. I'm stopping the Ibuprofen, needless to say. Using a hair dryer to blow warm air in my right ear seems to have some effect but does not stop the problem.

At first it was only at night, but now it's daytime, too.
What does your tinnitus sound like? Here is one link and you can play some of the common sounds: https://www.soundrelief.com/tinnitus/sounds-tinnitus/. I can hear nothing of sound #2 in that link. That has to be close to the one I have had for the last 60 years. I never thought of tinnitus as a 'clicking' sound. My tinnitus did start off with short periods which became longer with time.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
What does your tinnitus sound like? Here is one link and you can play some of the common sounds: https://www.soundrelief.com/tinnitus/sounds-tinnitus/. I can hear nothing of sound #2 in that link. That has to be close to the one I have had for the last 60 years. I never thought of tinnitus as a 'clicking' sound. My tinnitus did start off with short periods which became longer with time.

I can't hear anything on #2 either. And none of the others match what I'm hearing. It's a light, rhythmic clicking sound like a tiny little drum beat. I'm thinking of pouring hydrogen peroxide in there. It may just be ear wax.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
I can't hear anything on #2 either. And none of the others match what I'm hearing. It's a light, rhythmic clicking sound like a tiny little drum beat. I'm thinking of pouring hydrogen peroxide in there. It may just be ear wax.
I have clicking occasionally. I've also heard metallic clanking, a murmur that sounds sort of like indistinct conversation, and a low rumbling like heavy equipment moving. But most often, it's a loud hum, sort of like a phone line with no dial tone.

It's kinda fun to see how many different kinds of sounds your ear can invent for you. And your ear will get stuck on one kind of sound for awhile, then switch up. I guess it gets bored too.

Yes, tinnitus can make a person seem a bit - odd.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:00 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I always thought it was ringing, too, until one night the H and I had an argument about how noisy the steam radiator was. The upshot is it wasn't, it was all in my head (ha ha, lucky me). But that's what I heard, and loud enough to annoy me. Then I started hearing birds, like when a bunch are out in the trees tweeting all together. That's when I started looking up auditory hallucinations, but no, it's all just tinnitus.

When you say rhythmic, though, see if you can take your pulse and figure out if the rhythm is related to your heartbeat.

The one thing I can tell you is that if you listen to your tinnitus, you're lost. The trick to coping with it over time is not to listen to it. When you hear it, deny it like demonic possession, and focus on anything else you can hear, even if you have to tap your pen or something.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Mine is somewhere between #1 and #3, a fairly high-pitched hissing or ringing sound. It gets louder when I eat white food, rice being the worst. It is also exacerbated by certain medications, notably elavil (amitriptyline) and ibuprofen. It started, according to my ear doctor in 1998, because I took neurontin (gabapentin) for a few months. But the hissing/ringing didn't go away when I stopped taking neurontin.

I find it helpful to run fans, air conditioners, air cleaning machines, etc. Also, I no longer try to listen to music from across the room, as it sounds as if the hiss takes up the entire space between me and the speakers. I'm better off with speakers at my desk and next to my bed. Wireless music came along at just the right time. I find it helps when I watch TV to have the sound at a just audible level and I use the closed captioning function. Turning the volume of anything up loud does not help.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
My tinnitus sounds more like the site's #1 sound - but a higher pitch. Of course neither one of us know what sound #2 sounds like! My sound started when I was 12 years old. I have grown use to it over the years. I did not even think about it until I started writing about it.

It took me a long time to accept it. I have long since given up on a cure. I am now content to take my ringing to my grave - a familiar voice! I actually thought that it helped me to try and tune out the rest of the world (when alone) and concentrate totally on the sound of the tinnitus. It was meditation on a very annoying sound and it seem to help me.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Mine is somewhere between #1 and #3, a fairly high-pitched hissing or ringing sound. It gets louder when I eat white food, rice being the worst. It is also exacerbated by certain medications, notably elavil (amitriptyline) and ibuprofen. It started, according to my ear doctor in 1998, because I took neurontin (gabapentin) for a few months. But the hissing/ringing didn't go away when I stopped taking neurontin.

I find it helpful to run fans, air conditioners, air cleaning machines, etc. Also, I no longer try to listen to music from across the room, as it sounds as if the hiss takes up the entire space between me and the speakers. I'm better off with speakers at my desk and next to my bed. Wireless music came along at just the right time. I find it helps when I watch TV to have the sound at a just audible level and I use the closed captioning function. Turning the volume of anything up loud does not help.
My wife thinks she might also have tinnitus but she has not gone to get it checked. She started Lyrica for her back, hip and knee pain and, at first, she thought she could hear better - but that was short lived. For me it is impossible to hear sounds, especially a voice, in a crowd or with any loud distractions.

Although I am sure my hearing got much worse over the years; I do not feel that my tinnitus got worse. It could simply be perception?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness