Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 11:44 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times

Advertisements

Wow, now there is yelling.

Yeah, I do all that stuff....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 12:34 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
If someone is going to be buying a house to live out the rest of their lives in why should it matter? And loss of mobility can happen at any age no matter how healthy one is.
That's exactly my point. If a young person prefers a one-story house, there's nothing wrong with that. And youth is no guarantee of future health.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM

613 posts, read 944,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
People have been brainwashed to assume a lot about aging. People are buying insurance for LTC, for cancer treatments fully EXPECTING to get cancer!!!

Absolute self fulfilling prophecies. How about instead of buying or planning on buying that ranch house, you get off your but and TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY??

How about instead of planning for cancer, you lay off the processed food, lose weight, cut back on sugar and carbs and eat healthier, make sure you get enough sleep and take a walk every day???

I can only shake my head. Some will never EVER understand this, keep eating the doritoes, sitting on the couch binge-watching TV and wait for sickness and bad knees to overtake them and then say HA!!! I told you I'd have bad knees and cancer!! SO glad I PLANNED FOR IT.

They will never realize that their planning stages had to do with lifestyle, not financial choices.
Wow. So anyone who as they age, & who plans for their future, & getting older, is an fat ignorant slob. And--people who buy ranch houses are lazy fat slobs?

This may be the worst thread on CD-forums ever. Stairs, & aging, could have been a very good intelligent discussion. I need to stop coming here........it's getting toxic....

I could point out that people who have extremely healthy lifestyles sometimes develop horrible problems......or that the vicissitudes of aging are inevitable......or that planning ahead (& for unforeseen issues) is sensible....esp. with increasing age!

But why bother........

Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,057 times
Clearly there's a very vocal contingent of people who wants to believe in their future of infirmity. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to any of you. But I would only ask that instead of defensive postures you imagine for a moment that maybe there's some truth to the idea of the self fulfilling prophecy.

My own mother was convinced she would die before she could enjoy retirement. So she worked 80 hours a week and refused to see the doctor when she started having pain in her side. She ate poorly and never slept. She wasn't active just driving to and from work. She told us all about her will for decades before she died. She bought a cemetery plot. Her prediction came true when they discovered terminal cancer and she died at 65. During her illness she kept telling us that she was right and she had known all along. She retired the day she got her terminal diagnosis and spent her retirement in hospice care.

I suspect that I won't change any points of view because some people are more invested in being right than anything else.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Absolute self fulfilling prophecies. How about instead of buying or planning on buying that ranch house, you get off your but and TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY??
I've autopsied people who on paper were younger and healthier than me.

Taking care of your body is no guarantee that you won't develop significant problems. You can weight the dice all you like, but you can still roll snake eyes.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Better to plan on losing mobility in old age and then not lose it than to buy a property that requires good mobility in order to be liveable and then discover you have to move because you have developed mobility issues and can't "age in place" in that house.

Moving gets harder as you get older. I don't want to have to move when I'm in my late 70s or 80s because of poor planning on my part.
Totally disagree. You start planning to be disabled and you almost certainly will be. I grew up in a 3 story Philadelphia Row home. My grandmother, who was far too big for her own good, climbed those stairs at least twice a day.

Buy the house that you want. Keep yourself in the best condition you can. And if things are that bad, get a chair lift - no need to buy a house with the intention of being an invalid.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:48 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Clearly there's a very vocal contingent of people who wants to believe in their future of infirmity. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to any of you. But I would only ask that instead of defensive postures you imagine for a moment that maybe there's some truth to the idea of the self fulfilling prophecy.

My own mother was convinced she would die before she could enjoy retirement. So she worked 80 hours a week and refused to see the doctor when she started having pain in her side. She ate poorly and never slept. She wasn't active just driving to and from work. She told us all about her will for decades before she died. She bought a cemetery plot. Her prediction came true when they discovered terminal cancer and she died at 65. During her illness she kept telling us that she was right and she had known all along. She retired the day she got her terminal diagnosis and spent her retirement in hospice care.

I suspect that I won't change any points of view because some people are more invested in being right than anything else.
The irony.

Hardly anyone on this thread is attempting to judge or determine what is a wise/healthy choice for anyone but themselves. With a few exceptions...

Old 08-24-2017, 12:53 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post

So you carry no insurance on your car or home? Cause if you did, you are planning for bad stuff, and you don't do that. You would be making a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh! I bet the OP doesn't have health insurance either!!!! That would REALLY be asking for it!!

My husband NEVER thought he would die at 43, heck who does? Yet, he did.

I'm 50, super active, lots of sports, eat vegetarian 5 days a week, 95% of our meals are home cooked with quality ingredients. We camp, wake board, paddle board, hike, do all kinds of stuff. That's actually caused the injuries. /lol

Your thought process is just odd, and judgmental, and skewed...... that's what people are reacting to.

After we buy our retirement home, we would prefer not to move again, so.... probably single story. PLUS, the area we are looking at have TONS of single story homes. IF we found a house we adored with 2 stories? We would probably buy it, but there are literally hundreds of homes to choose from.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Totally disagree. You start planning to be disabled and you almost certainly will be.
Nope, doesn't work that way.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:57 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Boy personalities and defenses do flair up. There is a lot of good info posted here and take it or leave it is what I say. And I'm not yelling.

Plus as we age, the normal scheme of life is to scale down, but many can't part with so much of their STUFF....listen to George Carlin on Stuff. We've had a long running thread on getting rid of Stuff in the Retirement section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness