Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
All of these examples are far beyond the age that many start to worry about mobility. Again, if you are at an advanced age or have a true medical issue, deciding to live in a place which can work with that makes sense.

But if you are healthy, anticipating an issue that may never come to pass decades before just boggles my mind. Not everyone ends up immobilized. And I would argue that the advances in medicine available in 2017 far surpass those of even a few decades ago. In 20 years, it will be further still. People are living longer, healthier lives. Why all this attention to infirmity before it needs to be considered? Some may say its caution, but it seems more like pessimism.
Not pessimism at all. Common sense. I plan on living to a ripe old age and traveling, hiking, exercising hopefully until the day I die. But if I were going to buy a new house I would look for one with a single level. I don't want to have to worry about my mobility keeping me from moving around my house freely. And even though I do everything I can health wise to make my goal come true does not mean it will. I am having a hard time understanding your contempt on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
It would be intetesting to post this in the Retirement forum where folks are more likely at a point in their lives where they have considered this (or not).

Old 08-24-2017, 11:06 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It would be intetesting to post this in the Retirement forum where folks are more likely at a point in their lives where they have considered this (or not).
That isn't what the thread is about. It makes sense that if you have retired you may be looking for a different lifestyle. I am not talking about retired people who search for a single story. I am talking about middle aged and younger people who are convinced they need to think about this. I think its been oversold.

And again, wouldn't installing a stair lift be cheaper than a whole new house....

Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Meh. I'm 50 and have no knee problems. BUT, when we look at houses in our retirement location, preference will be given to single story homes.

I'm not planning on having bad knees, neither is DH.

But injuries happen, and they do more so the older you get. We've already gone through DH having a injury to his pelvis which thankfully healed.... after 2 years.

Plus, we are very active, and end up with a variety of injuries (we are really trying to avoid that now).

It just seems wisest to eliminate stairs if possible.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2017, 11:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
That isn't what the thread is about. It makes sense that if you have retired you may be looking for a different lifestyle. I am not talking about retired people who search for a single story. I am talking about middle aged and younger people who are convinced they need to think about this. I think its been oversold.

And again, wouldn't installing a stair lift be cheaper than a whole new house....
Your OP specifically mentions .people in their 50s and 60s . Even if they are not retired yet, that is an age group that is looking toward retirement and planning accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not pessimism at all. Common sense. I plan on living to a ripe old age and traveling, hiking, exercising hopefully until the day I die. But if I were going to buy a new house I would look for one with a single level. I don't want to have to worry about my mobility keeping me from moving around my house freely. And even though I do everything I can health wise to make my goal come true does not mean it will. I am having a hard time understanding your contempt on this subject.
Contempt is not the right word at all. Its sadness and confusion.

I see so many people who have already decided that a healthy old age is not in the cards. You may call it "being prepared" but it reads to me like fatalism.

I believe in the law of attraction. I believe in living a healthy lifestyle. I know unexpected things can happen. Why will them into your world with an expectation?

Personally, I think this whole idea is a ploy to sell houses. Why stay in your beautiful 2 story when social pressure is that you need to move to a condo or ranch? Again, I know that some people really do. But I hear so many youngish, healthy, able-bodied people who are "looking ahead" in this way. I also hear young people who decry the dangers of stairs. Humans have lived with stairs for centuries. Its just odd to me. Is this really how we want to be? Afraid of a staircase?

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Quote:
It's the same over there: people convinced if they live a healthy lifestyle, they will stay that way and they see a single story home as giving up, versus those who want to be able to stay in their home if a problem arises and can see problems happening.

I think it comes down to whether you live in a single or multi story house. People being questioned about their choice of home defend it, on both sides.

It's not whether one choice is better than the other, but what people want for themselves.

Tilting at windmills is a good exercise too apparently.

Last edited by jean_ji; 08-24-2017 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

Well, I'm retired and DH will be next year, so we are talking about a retirement home.

We live in 2 story now because lots are small.

This is really coming across as a psuedo sympathy... "It's so sad you guys plan to get injured and be unhealthy!"

It's like buying insurance, you hope you won't need it but plan for the a worst case scenario, and everything in between.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Your OP specifically mentions .people in their 50s and 60s . Even if they are not retired yet, that is an age group that is looking toward retirement and planning accordingly.
Sigh.

You could say people are looking toward retirement and planning the day they get into the workforce. We can agree to disagree. I am still see 50s and 60s as young. I don't know what the point is in arguing that they infirm/close to infirmity/looking forward to infirmity.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, I'm retired and DH will be next year, so we are talking about a retirement home.

We live in 2 story now because lots are small.

This is really coming across as a psuedo sympathy... "It's so sad you guys plan to get injured and be unhealthy!"

It's like buying insurance, you hope you won't need it but plan for the a worst case scenario, and everything in between.
Why pseudo? I am sad that people seem to expect this in their future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness