Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 02:48 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,261,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Cindi, we think a lot a like on surgeries. Last Resort.

I'm down to taking 2 ibuprofen ever 6 hrs and this is down quite a bit from the months in rehabs with the mess I was in. I make SURE there is food in my stomach.

I do so much to keep this body going as it does and without surgeries, hip replacement in 2010 caused a spiral of issues on right side where hip was replaced.

Oh, wow, Jaminhealth. I am loathe to get any type of surgery. Why did you have your hip surgery, was it unavoidable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:48 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Cindi, groin pain in right side was waking me up at night. I was limping and dragged my feet for 6 months before I called the surgeon who was recommended. When I saw the right groin it was a full blown mass of spurs, I call them, and the left side groin was smooth. I thought it was the right thing to do and YES groin pain is gone but I live with 3 complications from the surgery. Shorter leg, femoral nerve damage, IT band damage. My whole thigh is numb and as day goes on my thigh aches/hurts. This was 2010 and wonder why I won't do knee replacement. I live with hard lessons. Many seem to do well with replacements...

Old 01-26-2018, 07:36 PM

12,041 posts, read 6,574,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Cannot caution people enough to read the insert that comes with your medication. Medication has side effects.

I have meloxicam and if I do not drink a full glass of water first my stomach hurts.
I'm curious about your experience with meloxicam.
I am trying to avoid back surgery, (spinal fusion S1) and my doctor just switched me to meloxicam from naproxen which was too hard on my stomach. I am only taking the meloxicam two or three days a week to save my stomach, but it does seem easier on my stomach. I take it with food. It really works for the pain. So I am wondering if I can just take this for YEARS and avoid surgery.

How often do you take it, and how long have you been taking it?
Thanks

Old 01-28-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Cindi, groin pain in right side was waking me up at night. I was limping and dragged my feet for 6 months before I called the surgeon who was recommended. When I saw the right groin it was a full blown mass of spurs, I call them, and the left side groin was smooth. I thought it was the right thing to do and YES groin pain is gone but I live with 3 complications from the surgery. Shorter leg, femoral nerve damage, IT band damage. My whole thigh is numb and as day goes on my thigh aches/hurts. This was 2010 and wonder why I won't do knee replacement. I live with hard lessons. Many seem to do well with replacements...
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, jaminhealth. I am considering looking into a wheelchair, I am in fear of falling again although I am walking periodically very little during the day, going from lounge chair to bed, bed to toilet, etc. I hope you get better, I will keep you in my prayers.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I'm curious about your experience with meloxicam.
I am trying to avoid back surgery, (spinal fusion S1) and my doctor just switched me to meloxicam from naproxen which was too hard on my stomach. I am only taking the meloxicam two or three days a week to save my stomach, but it does seem easier on my stomach. I take it with food. It really works for the pain. So I am wondering if I can just take this for YEARS and avoid surgery.

How often do you take it, and how long have you been taking it?
Thanks
I'd like to see the answer to that, too, since I've been taking lately about 1000 mg of naproxen and it does make me feel better. I do not, however, notice stomach problems.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
I'd like to see the answer to that, too, since I've been taking lately about 1000 mg of naproxen and it does make me feel better. I do not, however, notice stomach problems.
Are you using a walker? The walker is my 3 and 4th leg. I can walk a bit around my apt without it but don't want to fall. Going to a wheelchair one gives up. I never thought I'd be at this point but it was the staph infection and the lack of MD's finding the infection and during all that time 2.5 months I did NOT walk at all...in hospitals/rehabs it was bedpans for about 3 months, just terrible when I go back to those months in my mind.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, jaminhealth. I am considering looking into a wheelchair, I am in fear of falling again although I am walking periodically very little during the day, going from lounge chair to bed, bed to toilet, etc. I hope you get better, I will keep you in my prayers.
I wish you could get some GOOD PT to get those legs stronger...strengthen the quads etc.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:18 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
I haven't needed to us the meloxicam in years (RA), though playing racquetball has made my ankles swell a tad, so I might in the future.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-30-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I wish you could get some GOOD PT to get those legs stronger...strengthen the quads etc.
I intend to, thanks. First, though, I really need to get out and get x-rays taken. At the hospital they didn't take x-ray of my ankle, I was so tired and in so much pain that when they took me to x-ray room the tech said the doctor didn't order x-ray of my ankle and I could not argue any more. Sad really. But I believe something is wrong there, anyway I need to see a doctor before I start PT I think, to make sure that I'm not hurting myself.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Are you using a walker? The walker is my 3 and 4th leg. I can walk a bit around my apt without it but don't want to fall. Going to a wheelchair one gives up. I never thought I'd be at this point but it was the staph infection and the lack of MD's finding the infection and during all that time 2.5 months I did NOT walk at all...in hospitals/rehabs it was bedpans for about 3 months, just terrible when I go back to those months in my mind.
I have to use a walker for the most part since the fall, although I used it a lot before the fall, too, just not as much. It will be a constant companion now, I'm sure. But I haven't been out of the house now for about 3 weeks. One reason is that we don't have a ramp and I don't think I can handle the steps. there are only four, but still. I don't like walking with a walker, I guess vanity is an issue, but I cannot help it anymore. Vanity goes out the window. and I'll have to convince myself that I'm ok. :-) Maybe I'll put on lipstick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness