Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:57 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

To compare back surgery to a manicure, yikes. True one can get an infection from a manicure one more reason I don't get them.

Everyone here has their eyes and minds open and I don't care what kind of surgery, there are risks. That's why I hear for years: Last Resort. One can have a ***** surgeon and still have issues. All bodies are unique and YES every business in business is out to make profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 12:20 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Everyone here has their eyes and minds open

No.

Not everyone. That much is obvious.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM

79 posts, read 81,835 times
OP here:

I've found some relief from spinal stenosis from Youtube videos.. showing how bending forward while sitting reduces pressure on the disks. This has reduced episodes of sciatica.

Also beware of conflicting advice on websites like webmd.com, where I believe walking was recommended for spinal stenosis. Actually, less walking and standing is what's best for this problem.

I'm also leary of the 'cult' of stretching. I think sometimes, stretching can actually make problems worse, possible by over-extending muscles and tendons, etc.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post

I'm also leary of the 'cult' of stretching. I think sometimes, stretching can actually make problems worse, possible by over-extending muscles and tendons, etc.

Well, my husband appreciates it. /lolz

No one has ever complained about a limber wife.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-16-2017, 05:42 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
To compare back surgery to a manicure, yikes. True one can get an infection from a manicure one more reason I don't get them.

Everyone here has their eyes and minds open and I don't care what kind of surgery, there are risks. That's why I hear for years: Last Resort. One can have a ***** surgeon and still have issues. All bodies are unique and YES every business in business is out to make profits.
Surgery is not always the LAST RESORT and in many medical issues should be the FIRST RESORT...

There are plenty of medical conditions out there that are BEST treated by surgery and in fact surgery may be the ONLY reasonable treatment.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Surgery is not always the LAST RESORT and in many medical issues should be the FIRST RESORT...

There are plenty of medical conditions out there that are BEST treated by surgery and in fact surgery may be the ONLY reasonable treatment.
We're primarily talking backs here I thought...and as far as Elective Surgery, I believe it needs to be Last Resort...again we'll just agree to disagree. Emergency surgery is another animal.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:52 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I think "bad back" is pretty broad range of ailments, and there are probably 300 different "best" ways to deal with the problem depending on what it is.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM

35 posts, read 43,074 times
Back pain treatment and how much one can endure is not a simple subject.

I had a successful 3 level cervical (neck) fusion 2.5 years ago. This surgery removed what was left of the 3 severely degenerated discs, replaced them with cadaver bone and then installed a metal plate down the front of my spine, held in by 8 screws. My pain level was much reduced from the minute I woke from surgery to this day.
I can assure everyone, if in enough pain, as I was, you will welcome surgery. I fought the idea for years but I was losing function of my hands because the nerves were "smashed" by the bone on bone vertebra because the discs degenerated so severely. The pain was INTENSE.

For 25 years prior to surgery, to treat and deal with the pain, I exercised, ate healthy, was never over weight, did chiropractic, acupuncture, supplements, various prescriptions, etc etc etc.

Prior to the surgery I did a lot of reading about surgery outcomes. I concluded that, as another poster stated, you read/hear about the unsuccessful surgeries way more. The successful people aren't complaining!

As to needing more back surgeries after the first one, it's not always due to a bad outcome.
In my case, I have genetic spinal disc degeneration and it is a problem top to bottom in my spine.
So even though the 3 worst discs were fixed, many other discs in my neck and lower back are degenerated and will need to be fixed. My lower back is severely degenerated and is a significant problem for me but it has nothing to do with the neck surgery. It's due to bad genetics!

Anyone that says they will never risk back surgery has just never had serious pain.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Well, some do live with higher pain thresholds. I have a pretty messed up knee and the thoughts of knee surgery is scaring me more and more. I did end up with messed up hip replacement. I'm one of those who complain.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,260,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Years ago, I was a nurse, and I worked on a floor that had many back surgery patients - laminectomies and fusions.

From what I saw then, I concluded that there were too many failures - too many people that these surgeries didn't help. Yes, quite a few were helped, but I didn't - and don't - think that the odds were good enough for ME to ever undergo these surgeries.

I believe it was Consumer Reports who once asked their readers who had back pain what worked for them. IIRC, yoga and chiropractors were the winners. And I'd be careful of the chiros, some of them are indeed quacks.
I just started reading this thread, but I'm glad I found it. I fell recently and badly injured my back. Lower back. First the bad pain was on the right side, then it transferred so it seems, to the left side lower back. The pain is bad, especially when getting up or getting into a sitting position. I can't do much, in fact, all I do now is get up with a lot of pain doing it, from the bed to the bathroom, and from my recliner, etc. Getting up and down gives me tremendous pain. I have not seen the doctor yet, one reason is because I can't get out of the house since there are steps, and the other reason is that I don't trust doctors.
I wonder if ice packs help at this point. I am taking naproxen for the pain, it helps.
And of course, now I'm always afraid I'm going to fall again, which necessitates me calling 911 because I can't get up due to knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness