Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

So I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a fungal ear infection (note to self and all: never ever reuse ear plugs over and over and leave them in all night...), and was prescribed a cream to apply inside the ear with a qtip 2x a day for 20 days.

Which is fine, and it's helping in that respect, but now I think my ear is building up with this cream and now I can barely hear out of it, and it feels somewhat waterlogged or 'full'.

I don't have a primary doctor, and went to urgent care for the diagnosis and treatment, so there's no one I can call to ask follow-up questions with.

I'm seeing advice on how to remove earwax and water, but since this is a cream, I'm not sure what approach to try.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 03:17 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Dump a little hydrogen peroxide in your ear. It will bubble and you will hear it. When it stops drain the ear.

I can't believe they told you to use a qtip!

Old 10-28-2016, 03:48 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
You were using too much cream if it's that built-up. I have had a couple diff. ear issues and had to use a cream or ointment (I still have an ointment for eczema) - use just a little bit, just enough to moisten it. Otherwise, go ahead and try the peroxide.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You were using too much cream if it's that built-up. I have had a couple diff. ear issues and had to use a cream or ointment (I still have an ointment for eczema) - use just a little bit, just enough to moisten it. Otherwise, go ahead and try the peroxide.
Oh my goodness. Haha I think that was the problem. I was using 2-3 qtips worth (each containing a pea size glob) because I was afraid that if I missed a spot, the surviving fungus would breed a superfungus.

I never really had the chance to ask the doctor how much to use, because I was rushed out after like 3 minutes. :/

Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Dump a little hydrogen peroxide in your ear. It will bubble and you will hear it. When it stops drain the ear.

I can't believe they told you to use a qtip!
Yeah, I was surprised at that too. But I think since the infection was inside the canal, there was no other way to apply the cream.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:21 PM

427 posts, read 440,037 times
I agree with the hydrogen peroxide. A few drops in the ear canal than flush, using an ear bulb, with warm water. There are also commercial products for ear cleaning available at most pharmacies. Never a QTip in the ear canal as it pushes and packs accumulations. These are fine for outer ear cleaning but not inner. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2016, 05:16 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I'm surprised it wasn't a prescription for drops come to think of it....

Old 10-28-2016, 07:10 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
They make some type of ear inserts that will absorb moisture, but it may just be for really liquid stuff, not a cream. But you could try it.

Go to your local pharmacy and ask the druggist if s/he has any ideas. People often assume they need a doctor for everything, but a pharmacist has better knowledge of the products out there, and can usually assist.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:15 PM

So I ended up going to the doctor again tonight, because it was starting to really hurt and wanted to make sure nothing was getting worse.

Turns out I shouldn't have been using that cream in my ear that the previous doctor prescribed. I'm using ear drops now. No more shoving thick cream into my ear with qtips (which seemed kind of odd to me anyway). They also rinsed out my ear, and I feel much better so far already.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:38 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So I ended up going to the doctor again tonight, because it was starting to really hurt and wanted to make sure nothing was getting worse.

Turns out I shouldn't have been using that cream in my ear that the previous doctor prescribed. I'm using ear drops now. No more shoving thick cream into my ear with qtips (which seemed kind of odd to me anyway). They also rinsed out my ear, and I feel much better so far already.
I hope you got that in writing. I'd be going back to that UC and pitching a fit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness