Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 03:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times

Advertisements

In men your age, that's either prostate cancer or benign prostate hyperplasia, keeping your bladder from emptying fully. A visit to the urologist is in order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 04:07 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I am 67 and go every two hours during the day. Night? I wake about up about 2 AM every night feeling like I have to go. Majority of the time I just roll over and go back to sleep. Too much trouble to get out of bed, deal with my cats seeing me get up, and I just roll over and go back to sleep until morning.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:50 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Seem it started 6-8 mo ago, I get up every 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs every night to pee and drink water. I seem normal during the day (meaning every 4-5 hrs).

Is this a normal getting old thing or what ??
How much water are you drinking at night? Water has been a bit oversold - the old 8 glasses a day was based on a myth/misinformation as a lot of liquid comes from the food we eat. Think - kids sleep 12 hours and probably don't get up and don't drink in the middle of the night - certainly not several times or several glasses through the night and they are perfectly healthy and not dehydrated.

If you don't have a UTI, diabetes, or "male"/"female" problems consider doing what parents do when their kids wet the bed - no liquids after 7:00 pm. Seriously, a few sips if you're thirsty, but not glasses.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:51 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
talk to your doctor, it could be prostate problems which are very common in men, even those not your age. Otherwise, I know a lot of people as they age seem to pee more at night. I am one of them: being a women I doubt I have prostate problems. I may not get up quite as often as you, but some nights I get up 3 or 4 times and yes, I always have a glass of water. I think many of us, when we relax at night we seem to have the urge to get up and pee more often.
Someone suggested getting checked for diabetes, I guess that is possible but if you don't have unusual thirst during the day I wouldn't worry too much about that. It wouldn't hurt though to check with your doctor if you haven't recently had a checkup.
Drinking every two hours at night is unusual thirst.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:52 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,256,469 times
No, not normal. (I'm an NP.) If you are male, prostate problems could be the culprit. UTI is possible in both sexes at your age. And I have had diabetic patients get diagnosed after they complained about having to pee all the time at night. There are other possible things causing this problem as well. Schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor and let him/her know what's been going on.

Old 06-05-2016, 08:18 PM

486 posts, read 653,972 times
DH was getting up that often. He was found to have BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia) and the MD put him on tamsulosin for it. He now sleeps though most of the night, though he still sometimes has to get up a couple times.

Your regular GP can prescribe the tamsulosin or he may refer you to a urologist to make sure there's nothing else going on, but you don't have to live like that, getting up all night. That's ridiculous.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:24 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
As someone that has the problem day and night without pills from about our age (I am now 85 years old), let me be one that says see a urologist as soon as possible. You will be glad you did.

And you get thirsty a lot. That is another sign there is problems.

My cardiologist and my urologist, both tell me I have to limit the intake of water and other liquid. Drinking too much water or liquid, is a major cause of your problem.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:35 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
In my 70s and usually get up once during the night; however, if I drink any liquid later in the day I may have to get up more often.

My PCP told me to drink plenty of water during the day and to stop drinking it around 4 p.m. - works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness