Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times

Advertisements

My, almost sixteen year old son has the worst chapped lips I've ever seen. He has a Snapchat collage of his "greatest hits."

He has alway had chapped lips (I have as well) but I've never had the open sores. We were prescribed antibiotic cream, but that stopped working.

We visited a Dermatologist and his culture came back as staph. He's been prescribed Mupirocin 2% ointment and Cephalexin.

It is my belief that some people are carriers. Does that mean the infection will always return.

Right now I, 53 year old female, have a boil. Does anyone know if they can do more work on the strains? Is this common?

Will this condition affect my son the rest of his life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 05:01 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsy View Post
My, almost sixteen year old son has the worst chapped lips I've ever seen. He has a Snapchat collage of his "greatest hits."

He has alway had chapped lips (I have as well) but I've never had the open sores. We were prescribed antibiotic cream, but that stopped working.

We visited a Dermatologist and his culture came back as staph. He's been prescribed Mupirocin 2% ointment and Cephalexin.

It is my belief that some people are carriers. Does that mean the infection will always return.

Right now I, 53 year old female, have a boil. Does anyone know if they can do more work on the strains? Is this common?

Will this condition affect my son the rest of his life?

We're all colonized on our skin by Staph so a culture of a skin sore growing out Staph shouldn't be too amazing. Intact skin is the best defense against Staph infection. Any crack in the skin, be it from a Herpes virus sore, trauma or dried skin, allows the Staph to enter and cause problems. When the doc sends a specimen to the lab, they grow out the bug in the presence of different antibiotics. That tells them which meds may work and which will not. (culture & sensitivity)

It's up to your own immune system to kill off an infection. Antibiotics only help lower the number of bugs your system has to deal with, reducing the chances that the infection gets out of hand and overwhelms you-- a big consideration if your immune system is impaired by other illnesses in general ("lowered resistance") or leukemia, malnutrition, AIDS & such. Certain genetic types also have more trouble with Staph than "normal."

MRSA (methicillin resistant S.aureus or more recently, Multiply resistant S. aureus) causes the same infections, no better, no worse, than "regular" Staph. It's just that we have fewer choices of antibiotics with which to help you out of your predicament.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
OP: I just came out of an Infectious Disease mess only it was my knee and it was all internal but for me I believe and not sure, was from an injection. Once the doctors finally found the infection thru an MRI, I was with a group of doctors in Infectious Disease. They found the abx drug for me and thru IV it took about 2.5 months to cure, I hope it's gone.

What doctor are you seeing for your son?

The poster before me seems to know a lot of science on the staph issue, I do not, but do know how important it is to have a strong immune system. I have that as I take powerful antioxidants for over 2 decades, daily, these are important and otherwise I'm healthy. And I'm 80.

On the boil, I never had one but I remember a friend yrs ago always had them. I know she didn't take any antioxidants, I know her. I'd think too having a strong immune system is important to ward off boils. You can do some google work on that.

I keep my lips lubricated and use Vicks on them every night before sleep. Plus there are 100's of chap type sticks, so they are everywhere.

Hope you can get control of the issue and get your son on a good track and take care of the chap issue.

Just reading thru this thread and much talk about cold sores, and thinking back to my mother and she used to get them all the time and also a lot of colds. Once I had her taking the powerful antioxidant I found and was taking, she got no more cold sores or colds. Her immune system was stronger and she was quite old at that time.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-05-2018 at 06:13 PM..

Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Jamin,
Chaptsticks, Vaseline and the like are not really "lubricating and hydrating" the lips as they contain ingriendents like phenol, menthol, and salicylic acid that pulls moisture from the lip. They need to have occlusive ingredients, in conjuction, to add a barrrier to keep moisture in. Thing like shea butter or beeswax (My derm recommends Burt's Bees).

"Cold sores" are nothing more than Herpes Simplex I and they often occure in tadem with another virus, such as a head cold. The addition of antioxidants may have helped boost her immune system. But her Herpes I virus was not cured just contained.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 984 times
Default Similar Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautyforashes View Post
I have the same infection on my bottom lip. I've gone to numerous doctors to no avail. Two doctors took a culture and I do have staph after ruling out herpes I.

I am using Mupirocin but it burns. It also makes my lip look worse, as said above, it looks "better" when dry! For a while I used Manuka oil which seemed to work for awhile, but after about 6 weeks, I had another breakout.

I've made an appointment to see a dermatologist AGAIN. This is SO irritating and embarrassing! If anyone else has had this issue, have you been cured for good?
Hi, I have had tiny small blisters all around my lips for almost 4 weeks. It began as a coldsore which i believe was then infected by staph. I went to the GP, a swap was taken and it showed that it was a staph auereus infection. However, the first course of antibiotics they gave me did nothing, the cream only cleared the crusting and the second antibiotics I am on appear to be doing nothing either (4th day and woke up with more blisters!!)
Did you get this cured and how?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:18 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
Garlic works wonders for this stuff. Topically. mix with a shot of water. I'm telling you. It works.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Garlic works wonders for this stuff. Topically. mix with a shot of water. I'm telling you. It works.
I second going the natural route with organic crushed garlic, a good quality neem oil, or organic oregano oil. It will take care of your problem without harmful synthetic chemicals.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:23 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I second going the natural route with organic crushed garlic, a good quality neem oil, or organic oregano oil. It will take care of your problem without harmful synthetic chemicals.

"Spices" evolved as natural antibiotics to protect the plants from bugs in their natural environment-- so there's nothing amazing in using spices for infections. ..If you do and it gets better, was it the treatment or your natural immune defenses that did the job?... Why are synthetic chemicals bad but the same chemical made by a plant good?

Penicillin was discovered in bread mold.....The problem is that a whole loaf of moldy bread makes maybe 10 mg of PCN, while the typical dose of pharmacy PCN is 1000mg/d x 10 days= 10,000 mg--that would be 1000 loaves of moldy bread...You'd die of diabetes before you killed off the infection Pharmaceuticals make sure you're getting enough of the right stuff and none of the other 20,000 chemicals in the plant that may be bad.

A lip problem that start as an annoying tingle, turns into a red, swollen area after a day or so, then blisters for a couple days, then pops & ulcerates and finally heals after 2 weeks is probably "cold sores" (Herpes labialis)-- usually very painful.

A lip problem that starts from a small crack, wound or maybe nothing you can see, ulcerates quickly and weeps a gold/orange-y crust is probably impetigo (usually Staph)-- often not painful at all.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:12 PM

67 posts, read 109,283 times
I can't believe there is a thread about this on City-Data. I'm dealing with a staph infection on both lips, going into the third month now. Like mentioned before, it will begin to get my hopes up, looking like it is on the way to healing, only to crush my hopes the next morning when I look in the mirror. That happened yesterday when I thought I was 90% healed then surged in this morning. Such a letdown.

This is the second outbreak, the first was never diagnosed and did go away for a few months. When it came raging back almost three months ago, I went to my doctor, but only after several weeks. That was a dumb mistake, me thinking every day..."surely this will go away soon". I suggest anyone with this happening get to the doctor asap and begin meds. The word "staph" didn't enter my mind. When I finally figured I'd better get help I went to my regular doctor who didn't take a swab or send anything off to the lab. She studied it by looking at it with her eyes and said "bacteria" and prescribed antibiotics which of course, didn't touch it.

I drug my feet again, dreading to go back to the dermatologist where I have felt I got the infection in the first place. But finally I got scared. I didn't know what it was but I did know the term "sepsis" and I just got scared something could get worse and heck, maybe kill me. So I called them, sent photos and they had me in there right away. (Though they've been careful not to take any responsibility for it.)

I've been through several toxic sounding creams and they would seem to work a little for a while, then stop working. I'm going back tomorrow for yet another appointment at the dermatologist. I'm guessing I have a strain difficult to heal. It worries me....will I actually get well? I cancelled a visit this weekend with my kids who live in Nashville. I can't expose my little grand daughter. Though I go to the gym twice weekly like a religion, I haven't gone to the gym since the beginning of this infection. First it was simply because it was so freaking unsightly and gross looking...the yellow crust...then after diagnosis, I stayed away for obvious reasons. I pretty much have holed up at home, slipping out for groceries when I have to for going on three months. I'm pretty weary and getting depressed. I am supposed to put my house on the market on June 1, and move to a new town. I've become so stressed and run down from this ordeal, I am moving like molasses towards making that move happen and that is even more distressing!

I'm not sure why I wrote here. I search endlessly for info online, and ran across this thread. I felt heartened by seeing other sufferers I suppose and just wanted to add my story.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 392 times
I have a similar condition on my lips. Doctor first diagnosed it as cold sore and then an impetigo. Prescribed me cold sore med and Mupirocin cream but no improvement. Finally did a sample swap and result came back to be MRSA and require oral antibiotics.
Better to do a sample swap to send to the lab right away to confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness