Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:40 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

OP, it's hard to know how to advice you without knowing more about you, but you say you're an "older" man. Are you around 50 or older? You could talk to your doc about hormone replacement. Testosterone diminishes with age, and it's your primary sleep hormone, so you're losing that. Your Human Growth Hormone is diminishing, too, and that supports sleep.

People who are in the age-range of menopause/manopause shouldn't be on sleep aids as a permanent solution. It's not healthy (lots of media articles warning against it, even though docs love to prescribe those, even for long-term use), and eventually they'll lose their effectiveness, and they mess with your own ability to sleep (what's left of it) and other mental functions.

Google around for a doc in your area who does male hormone replacement therapy (HRT). You can also google "longevity" doctors, life extension docs, that sort of thing, if you want to try the type of therapy that stimulates production of HGH. But simple T-supplementation could be enough for you. Also, work out 3-4x/week, and take walks. A good workout on an empty stomach followed by fasting for an hr. helps stimulate HGH production, and helps prime the body for sleep later in the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 05:58 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Melatonin !! Is this as good as Ambien?

I think I may have a bowel issue on the pee thing.
I have been using Melatonin for over a decade..after I stopped Ativan ..I worked SHIFT..and believe me it was hard for my body to calm down after a horrendous Night shift..or get to sleep at a good time to be up at 6AM to be rested and work a day shift ( 12 hours)..and won't even go into having 2 kids ( divorced mommy of 2)..so was able to use it when necessary..

Anyway.. It OTC and comes in multy dosages..from -1 3-5-10mg ( sublingual melting under tongue)...I used 3mg mostly initially 15 years ago..but now balance between 5mg-10mg nightly..No hangover..NO deep sleep which makes one unaware of mother natures calls either...So between saving prescription costs and lack of side affects..I say research it..ask your physician about it..and try it..

Ambien has disturbing side affects..and half-life ( time it takes to be out of body ) means it's possible accumulation can cause many side affects undesirable..

Best you talk frankly with your Doctor about this Jay

Old 03-26-2016, 07:24 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
I've taken Unisom for about 20 years whenever I've needed it. Works like a charm. I try to wait until I can barely keep my eyes open because like Ambien and other sleep aids, it does act as a diuretic. Sometimes I have to get up in the night and I also get thirsty, but to me, that's a small price to pay for really good sleep -- I need nine hours.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:48 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
have you people seen the recent link between sleep aids and alzheimers?

Strong Link Found Between Dementia, Common Anticholinergic Drugs
Here is a link that explains the study's findings in finer detail. It may set some minds at ease.

Media dementia scare over hay fever and sleep drugs - Health News - NHS Choices

Old 03-27-2016, 12:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Before bed, I added a little bit of Baking Soda to my MSM drink and I slept longer than normal last night. ummm

On the dementia scare with drugs, people choose to believe who and what writes their claims. For me, less drugs in my body the better. We will find pros and cons to everything on the net.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:44 PM

I do well with my sleep remedy which I have posted here at CD. I just read a bunch of reviews on iherb on Iosol Iodine drops from people who claim much better sleep and more energy overall. I've been dosing with Iosol for years and there is a lot of info out there about iodine deficiency in the U.S. Iodine is needed for all our body tissues, breasts included for sure. An FYI.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:13 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Lunesta is my Rx sleep aid, and I love, love, love it. Good sleep and lots of dreams.

I used to use Ambien and I would sleep walk, sleep post () and sleep eat. Peeps were freaking out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-31-2016, 06:34 PM

I was just reading the side effects of Lunesta and pretty alarming. I saw what ambien did to my daughter years ago and I won't go near them. My motto is less drugs the better. Now my supps are another story. Long term use of many drugs can do damage.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:51 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
The only side effect I had (besides amazing sleep) was that taste in my mouth, but that went away.

If I start having other side effects, I will simply stop taking it.

It's strong medicine that works, strong medicine frequently has more side effects.

If you do not require strong medicine then take over the counter. It is less effective, therefore less side effects.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness