Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:05 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,619 times

Advertisements

I have been in back and neck pain for over 4 years as a result of a car accident. For months after the accident I saw a doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor, and accupuncturist. The various treatments helped well enough and long enough that I eventually stopped doing them, but I did not continue to take care of myself. So, for the last 2+ years, my back and neck pain have returned. As a result, I have been taking prescription muscle relaxers. This used to occur a couple times a week, but now I am in so much pain that I take the medication almost daily. I am tired of masking the pain with drugs and really want to heal. Please share your stories on how you triumphed over similar issues. Any health practioners who want to share advice are more than welcome. How do I heal?

*salespeople--don't solicit me.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 11:01 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,051 times
I have a friend who finally had a "stimulator" placed surgically under the skin (the folks who make pacemaker/defibulators). It sends impulses to the brain that over-ride the pain message. The brain can only "listen" to one of the messages and the stimulator is louder (in a nutshell). She was introduced to the item when she went to a Pain Center in her city.

She can control it with a remote. She has had it since September. So far, so good!

Old 02-03-2008, 04:25 PM

19 posts, read 24,191 times
leavingcali -I am so sorry to hear you are hurting! What did your doctor say? Are you doing physical therapy again? tulegirl - My dh\'s cousin had a stimulator too. She said it eventually stopped working for her. It caused her horrible trouble because she was having a lot of neurological problems (when you have the stimulator in your body you cannot have an mri). Eventually they removed it, and then did an mri, and she had MS. Poor thing went 5 years without knowing what was wrong with her. I am sure she is an extremely rare case - when your in pain you will do anything to stop it, or at least I would.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:31 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,264,498 times
Default Regular chiropractic helps me...

I had a car wreck many years ago (hit from behind) and have battled neck pain since then. When it happened, I never went to a chiropractor. Growing up, my parents didn't have a high opinion of chiropractors.

However, about 6 years ago, at the urging of my pastor who had at one time studied to be a chiropractor and who knew a particularly skilled one in our town, I decided to try it. It hasn't been a panacea and I do have to keep in up regularly but it has VASTLY improved my quality of life with the chronic neck pain and occasional back pain. (I had done physical therapy, medications before.) Meds help. Physical therapy did no good whatsoever. In fact, it seemed to aggravate the problem.

So of all that I have tried, frequent chiropractor visits help me more than anything. I formerly had to take a lot of anti-inflammatory meds just to live and function, but now I rarely do. (Also, pretty much got rid of my migraines which I had all my life.)

Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,438 times
Have you checked into Upper Cervical Chiropractic? I have heard they can address some issues that regular chiropractic can't. You can get info about it at:

www.nucca.org

That is not the only site to help you find a UC Chiropractor in your area. Google Upper Cervial Chiropractor and there are other sites with more practicioners.

If you do have success (or not) I would be interested in hearing. I have been considering seeing one myself.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:15 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,006 times
My daughter has a back injury from cheerleading, and a neck injury from being in an accident, we were rear-ended. We have her at the Chiropractor twice a week. It has helped her very much. She has to ice herself and take tylenol when the pain flairs up between visits. I use the Chiropractor for my migraines, I feel so much better now too. I enjoy my Chiropractor visits.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 PM

788 posts, read 4,067,619 times
Thank you all so much for responding. I am really getting desperate!

I have a chiropractor appt. set for this Friday. Hopefully, it will help.

I am also going to check out the upper cervical chiropractic stuff that one poster suggested.

Thanks again, and keep posting!

Love,
Leavingcali

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,529 times
You might want to try acupuncture. I know several people who say it helps with the arthritis in their backs. It's not that expensive and it's painless. I am thinking of trying a few rounds myself as I have back problems from a car accident too.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:34 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
Read the "Mind Body Prescription" by Dr. John Sarno.or buy the DVD. It's specific to back/neck pain and has helped many, many people.

Last edited by Chinolala; 02-07-2008 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-07-2008, 11:35 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,751 times
Back pain treatment, back pain relief, tension myositis syndrome, dr. sarno
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness