Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:15 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
JenniferLynn wrote:
Maybe I could make some kind of a stew (meat and veggies) and freeze it in serving size packages.
Anything with meat in it, seems like dog food to me.
LOL. Dogs do require more protein. You can make oatmeal and add fruits, nuts, and veggies to it and freeze it. Add two eggs for protein. Yum, yum. Of course I think we all need a more balance meal than that and what many of us get daily. I remember going to a Vietnamese Buddhist monastery where they cooked with so many different types of vegetables that I wished I could eat like that daily, and I felt that having such a variety was more healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:22 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,757 times
Most pet foods you buy from the grocery store aren't healthy for your pet anyway. The main ingredient is often something like corn meal, followed eventually with meat "by-products". By-products mean things like intestines, hooves, etc. I sure don't want to eat that. I buy our cats and dogs healthier, more expensive brands whose ingredients start simply with meat or chicken, not corn meal, or by-products. Even so, dogs love some treats of real human food from time to time. I personally would be sad to give up eating, I enjoy the taste experience. It just wouldn't be the same popping a pill. If I stopped feeding our pets food and switched to pills, I would probably be afraid to turn my back on them while I slept, too.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:13 PM

168 posts, read 907,598 times
Oatmeal with veggies!? Um, that doesn't sound too appealing to me.

No offense to anyone, but trying to eat a large variety of foods is, I think, what is currently fashionable with nutritionists. I'm interested in an alternative way of eating: getting proper nutrition from a small variety of foods. I'm sure it can be done with the right information. A lot of foods will duplicate vitamins and minerals found in other foods, so they don't all need to be included in your diet.

I bought a book a while back called (I think) Super Foods. However, we are in the process of moving and it is packed up. I will look at it again when we unpack. I think it will have some of the information I'm looking for.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:15 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
Of course, it would have to taste good, but how do you know dog food doesn't taste good? Ever tried it? LOL, I haven't.
I'm embarassed to admit I ate dog biscuits as a kid...and liked them!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:38 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
jeannine216 wrote: I'm embarassed to admit I ate dog biscuits as a kid...and liked them!

Funny thing is, the dog biscuits are probably alot healthier ( maybe tastier too ) than most of the processed food on the shelves at the grocery stores.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:16 PM

379 posts, read 644,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I'm embarassed to admit I ate dog biscuits as a kid...and liked them!
LOL. That was probably hard to admit. My best friend used to do that, too. Poor dog would sit there and watch.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:36 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,617,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
LOL. That was probably hard to admit. My best friend used to do that, too. Poor dog would sit there and watch.
I would always share...one for you, one for me.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:13 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,347,884 times
Here is a recipe for you. You can make it up and freeze it and eat it whenever you are hungry. LOL

Basic Raw Dog Food Recipe

for a 20-25# dog

1/2 cup raw meat (ground poultry, beef, lamb, organ meats)
1/2 cup raw pureed vegetables (variety!)
1/4 cup cooked whole grains
1 teaspoon bonemeal powder (double for puppies and pregnancy)
1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid powder with bioflavinoids (vitamin C)
1/4 teaspoon kelp powder
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (not powder)
1 teaspoon oil mixture (2 teaspoons with poutlry)

Oil mixture:

11 oz. canola oil (cold pressed)
2 oz. wheat germ oil
2 oz. flax oil
Keep refridgerated in an opaque container.

Raw Pet Recipes

Old 06-19-2010, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
Jennifer, I see it's been over 2 years since you posted your question about people food that would be comparable to pet food, so you may have found an answer or are no longer interested. I found your comment because I have been asking myself the same question. Why not? It would be so simple and could be relatively inexpensive. Obviously, it would be boring but we have forced that kind of diet on our pets and farm animals, and look how healthy they are. Stews and soups are one solution. Dehydrators are inexpensive, it's easy to dehydrate all the ingredients, and they store well. Simply re-hydrate, heat, and dinner's ready. Makes a variety possible, and can be supplemented with a glass of milk, piece of fruit, handful of nuts, etc. Would be easy to establish a nutrition rating. Thanks for the reminder about stews. About as close as you can get to a meal-in-one. GeorgeB

Old 06-19-2010, 12:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,674,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
It would be a lot cheaper to mass produce something like dog food for people.
Sorry but it's already been done. It's called......Canned Hash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness