Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM

818 posts, read 1,017,440 times

Advertisements

Bought one of those air purifiers that have the filter and the switch which is some type of ionizer generator. Found out these ionizers actually emit ozone and some people may be sensitive to ozone. Think I am one of them. Makes you feel tired, headache sinus pressure. I figured out it is probably the ionizer causing it. Not 100% but pretty sure it is a problem after a little research.

If you have an air purifier with an ionizer be aware that it can possibly have bad effects on your health, more so in a smaller room such as a bedroom. Ozone can be toxic and some people are more sensitive than others but I would think for kids and people with asthma the effects may be worse.

So if you bought one of these and starting feeling ill it may be the problem. Just use the filter part, not the ionizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
I don't care for ionizers either. I do like HEPA air cleaners (which filter the air) and I like open doors / windows and LOTS of fresh air.

In the winter, each morning I open the front door and back door fully and let the house air out for a bit. In the summer I will leave a window cracked.

Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
I've been using one trying to clear up the problems you described.

guess I'll stop and see if I feel better.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:28 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Yes, thanks for the information. The ionizer in your air-cleaner will emit a small amount of ozone.

I have one air cleaner that has a very powerful ionizer.....emits both positive and negative ions. If I run it on high with the ionizer on........I will eventually get a sore throat and sore sinuses. I have a couple of other air cleaners with less powerful ionizers, they only emit negative ions.......they never both me in the least.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 23,745 times
I have been using an ionizer for two years now. It's in my bedroom and both myself and my partner have eye pain, dry eyes, and seems as if our eye sight has diminished? Can our ionizer be making both of us sick?

Old 09-08-2014, 09:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
No problems with my Smarter Image Ionic Breeze...just reporting in.

But I never leave t on all night.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
When a death goes unreported and they find the decomposing body, special crime scene cleaning companies get rid of the 'dead' smell with a commercial ionizer. People can't be in the dwelling while it's running. When you return to the dwelling you go in long enough to turn off the machine and open the doors/windows. After you let the place air out, it's safe to go in.

These are probably much stronger than what's available for home use.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
When a death goes unreported and they find the decomposing body, special crime scene cleaning companies get rid of the 'dead' smell with a commercial ionizer. People can't be in the dwelling while it's running. When you return to the dwelling you go in long enough to turn off the machine and open the doors/windows. After you let the place air out, it's safe to go in.

You mean commercial OZONE machine? They do a much better job of breaking down smells.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:03 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Just curious, how do you know this?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 16,342 times
Default Ionizer allergy got systemic mastocytosis

I had no idea about ozone emitted being bad.we thought the more the better to help our allergies and have 8.instead of getting better I went into daily anaphylaxis. Fortunately being family doctor I keep epipen around.I got so bad hospitalized .here symptoms tremendously improved and I wonder if related to home Air that I'm having checked or ionizers.yes we are so dry all the time.I think Oreck are hepatitis but rest ionizers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness