Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 01:30 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
My dad has gout. We learned about cherry juice AND 100% RED grape juice. Sometimes these are hard to find in your regular grocery store, but you can get them online if nothing else.
Also, the doctor told my dad to limit his intake on red meat, shell fish and especially tomatoes. Not much really seems to help when it flares up, so he tries hard to prevent it.
Publix grocery store and Walmart's are carrying cherry juice and blueberry now
my $.02 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 04:41 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
If you have a juicer, just make your own. Nothing like fresh tasty yummy juice in the morning. Or any time of day.

My friend that had gout many years ago drank alot of soft drinks, ate alot of junk food and just didn't eat right, no 3 meals a day or anything close. Once he changed, got rid of the all the soft drinks and started eating more real unprocessed foods, the gout went away and he's now ok. It never came back, so thats good.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:42 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,048 times
Thank you all for your responses & recommendations. My husband has been trying the cherry juice for awhile, but it must not be kicking in yet. We've been doing internet research and he read that turkey can cause a flare, so of course we can understand why the past few days have been bad!!! But the problems started before the turkey, so we're just not sure what's happening. I'm going to have him talk to his doctor about using a steroidal drug if the flares are really wreaking havoc. It sure couldn't hurt for him to change his diet. Although he doesn't drink a lot of pop, he doesn't drink as much water as he should, especially since summer, when he drank a lot when it was hot out. I've always heard how painful gout can be, so I really feel for him....I know it's real....not just wanting sympathy! Thanks again for the advice & for the good wishes.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Perhaps your husband needs to buy a health food brand of cherry juice. i often feel that they just use flavorings in the ones at the grocery stores. I could be wrong here, but I wanted to throw this out.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:54 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Gout Treatment

Along with specific prescribed medications, it is typically recommended that people with gout reduce their intake of purine-rich foods.

That dietary recommendation begs the question regarding what foods are purine-rich? Consider though that purines are found in all protein foods and it is not recommended that all purines should be eliminated from a person's diet.

How To Treat Gout With Diet And Medication

Purine-Rich Foods

According to the American Medical Association, purine-containing foods include:

Beer, other alcoholic beverages.
Anchovies, sardines in oil, fish roes, herring.
Yeast.
Organ meat (liver, kidneys, sweetbreads)
Legumes (dried beans, peas)
Meat extracts, consomme, gravies.
Mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower.

Beneficial Foods

Foods which may be beneficial to people with gout include:

Dark berries may contain chemicals that lower uric acid and reduce inflammation.
Tofu which is made from soybeans may be a better choice than meats.
Certain fatty acids found in certain fish such as salmon, flax or olive oil, or nuts may possess some anti-inflammatory benefits.

Avoiding purine-rich foods is only one aspect of treatment however. It is important to take prescribed medications as directed, maintain a healthy/balanced diet, drink plenty of fluids/water, exercise and maintain a healthy body weight. Diets designed for quick or extreme weight loss will work against you though -- they increase uric acid levels in the blood.

Balanced Diet

According to the American Medical Association, a balanced diet for people with gout include foods:

High in complex carbohydrates (whole grains, fruits, vegetables)
Low in protein (15% of calories and sources should be soy, lean meats, poultry)
No more than 30% of calories from fat (10% animal fat)

Recommended Foods To Eat

Fresh cherries, strawberries, blueberries, and other red-blue berries
Bananas
Celery
Tomatoes
Vegetables including kale, cabbage, parsley, green-leafy vegetables
Foods high in bromelain (pineapple)
Foods high in vitamin C (red cabbage, red bell peppers, tangerines, mandarins, oranges, potatoes)
Drink fruit juices and purified water (8 glasses of water per day)
Low-fat dairy products
Complex carbohydrates (breads, cereals, pasta, rice, as well as aforementioned vegetables and fruits)
Chocolate, cocoa
Coffee, tea
Carbonated beverages
Essential fatty acids (tuna and salmon, flaxseed, nuts, seeds)
Tofu, although a legume and made from soybeans, may be a better choice than meat

Foods considered moderately high in purines but which may not raise the risk of gout include: asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, peas, spinach, whole grain breads and cereals, chicken, duck, ham, turkey, kidney and lima beans. It is important to remember that purines are found in all protein foods. All sources of purines should not be eliminated.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
gout is a build up of uric acid in the body, his body is not flushing it through and out. Does he drink water or clear fluids much that could be the problem, along with diet. I would bet fluids is more likely. Has he had his kidneys checked to make sure they are working properly? Is he on a med for helping the kidneys flush the uric acid out?

Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 PM

187 posts, read 613,946 times
also avoid citris!!

Old 11-30-2007, 06:25 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurbell View Post
also avoid citris!!
That's what I heard as well...including tomatoes of all things! My dad seems to think tomatoes often triggers his. He has really laid off of them.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGIAINMT View Post
Thank you all for your responses & recommendations. My husband has been trying the cherry juice for awhile, but it must not be kicking in yet. We've been doing internet research and he read that turkey can cause a flare, so of course we can understand why the past few days have been bad!!! But the problems started before the turkey, so we're just not sure what's happening. I'm going to have him talk to his doctor about using a steroidal drug if the flares are really wreaking havoc. It sure couldn't hurt for him to change his diet. Although he doesn't drink a lot of pop, he doesn't drink as much water as he should, especially since summer, when he drank a lot when it was hot out. I've always heard how painful gout can be, so I really feel for him....I know it's real....not just wanting sympathy! Thanks again for the advice & for the good wishes.
You know, I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. This stuff helps with gout as well as arthritis. I bought some for my dad a few months ago, he take maybe and ounce or two a week (supposed to every day! ). He says his arthritis AND gout have been a lot better since taking it.

It's called Mangosteen Juice. The cheapest place I have found it is at Sam's Club. You get a pretty large bottle for about $25. This stuff has a lot of health benefits! Maybe you can read about it and think on it. It doesn't hurt in anyway. It's an Asian juice...not to be confused with mangos. It's supposed to be an anti-inflammatory. Here's one link to get you started.

Mangosteen juice for health benefits?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
One of my old co-workers who was also in her 40s got gout all the time. Beer and mushrooms she said gave her flareups. Sorry to hear this ... I know she always had a hard time when she got these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness