Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So whenever I see or hear someone swallow it almost immediately triggers the response in me, I have to swallow. Swallowing is especially annoying and creates anxiety when you're in a quiet room or close with someone and you KNOW they can hear it, and once you do it once and realize it, you become self concious and can't stop because it's on your mind. The last 2 days I have been swallowing almost constantly!

I find that even when I don't think about it I can feel the excess buildup of saliva in my mouth and I can't just FORCE myself to not swallow. I feel like I'm going to drown if I don't swallow it, so I keep swallowing and I think it is getting worse.

I did a quick search online for answers, I didn't find much, but I did find some people have far more severe conditions of this. The only thing I found and have been trying to far is to spit out the excess saliva, so I have a bottle, (I know, it's gross) that I spit into.

If anyone knows a cure or a way to cope with and forget about this it would be much appreciated!

wtf, really dude this is what is happening to me right now, like the exact thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,429 times
Ive had the same problem for 4 months and it kept getting worse. I randomly started to produce alot of saliva during class and I dont know why. A month passed after that and I started to swallow 5 times a minute and its really loud now I cant eat or drink food without making a gross gulping noise. Sometimes id have anxiety attacks trying not to swallow and i start shaking.It feels like hell. If anyone knows how to stop loud gulping noises please help it’d be VERY much appreciated.

P.S if anyone has the same problems as me lets be friends and talk to help each other with this anxiety issue

Old 03-07-2021, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swswsw View Post
wtf, really dude this is what is happening to me right now, like the exact thing
Do you still have it dude?? Im tryna find ways to cope

Old 03-07-2021, 06:44 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadskylar View Post
Hello, unfortunately I have the same problem. I can't stop swallowing when I'm around people even when I'm around my family!! I'm having this problem for more than two years!! It's really driving me crazy. I cry most of the times because of this issue. I was diagnosed with anxiety but I didn't have any medications for this. I didn't know the problem would increase that much I started to become unsocial unlike before. I can't talk to my teachers more than five minutes or do presentations because I keep swallowing over and over nonstop! I dont set next to students so that they wont hear me swallow..It's really embarrassing I can feel that my swallowing causes lots of gross noises but I can't help it what should I do :'( I can't stop thinking about swallowing my own saliva all the time. I'm too embarrassed to tell my parents about this because maybe they would think I have mental problems. I was a social person and I really liked to be around people and do group projects but not anymore because of issue... please help me.. what should I do
Carry a water bottle at all times and sip a tiny amounts of water while someone is getting close to you?
Then it shouldn’t bother you or anyone else for that matter- you are swallowing because you are just drinking..-
This should come down your anxiety.

Or you could experiment and record your “swallowing noises” in an ambient noise room- like with a small fan running or a quiet tv in the background: don’t record it too close to yourself though- we are all having our personal space- nobody talks face to face.
Pretty sure it may help you realize that it is all in your head?

If it is an intimate partner: just start kissing noises

Don’t get obsessed- increase the ambient noise in the room through music, fan, tv in the background, table top water fountain, loud ticking clock, an air purifier, etc
Or- slightly increase your personal space distance- but do not obsess over your mostly perceived issue.
Or try to focus on something else- like perhaps scent? Much easier to control- so you are re-directing your compulsions to a more manageable one?

Last edited by Nik4me; 03-07-2021 at 06:55 AM..

Old 03-07-2021, 11:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I've had this problem for over 2 decades. The easiest fix is to stop eating gluten and sugar After a few weeks, I stop ever having post nasal drip or swallowing. 1st time in my life since it started when I was in college. I've had this problem for over 2 decades.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:56 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErynSors View Post
Ive had the same problem for 4 months and it kept getting worse. I randomly started to produce alot of saliva during class and I dont know why. A month passed after that and I started to swallow 5 times a minute and its really loud now I cant eat or drink food without making a gross gulping noise. Sometimes id have anxiety attacks trying not to swallow and i start shaking.It feels like hell. If anyone knows how to stop loud gulping noises please help it’d be VERY much appreciated.

P.S if anyone has the same problems as me lets be friends and talk to help each other with this anxiety issue
Take an antihistimine like Claritan, which can cause mouth dryness. Will stop excess saliva.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 416 times
I've been struggling with anxiety induced swallowing for 8 years now and it's not a fun thing to deal with. Swallowing is a very complicated action requiring 50 different muscles some you have no control over. I can link some guides I found very helpful for swallowing, myofunctional therapy can be very helpful as they teach about proper tongue posture and correct swallowing manivures. I no longer feel the urge to swallow and can hold back for very long periods, like a car ride I did for 44 hours. unfortunatly my body forces me to swallow every now and again but it's very managable. My social life is not so great, I can tolerate people but I really don't want to go anywhere most of the time. Would be really nice if I could find someone in the same boat as me, don't care who you are or what you do I'd really like to be friends!

Is this fixable? Yes if you can manage to stop going to the places or doing the things that cause you extreme anxiety EARLY enough you can go back to normal. only had this problem in one class at school by the end of the year i was doing it in a few. As I started the next year I was fine for a few months but the problem kept creeping up on me and got worse and worse. finally the last year had the problem consantly but I was able to cope so well up to this point but... eventually I reached a breaking point half of the year in and was never able to recover. If I had only left to be home schooled I would've been fine, biggest regret of my life.

here is a playlist I made that shows how to correctly swallow, it's also is a guide to mewing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4feU...ceOrthodontics

Here is a discord group I made for people with swallowing disorders
https://discord.gg/WuagshQFhF

and here's my email if you would like to talk or ask me anything
shswhirled@gmail.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness