Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:36 PM

297 posts, read 767,385 times

Advertisements

My nephew started to swallow uncontrollably around the age of 10. It was starting to become a problem at school, so he saw a doctor and was diagnosed with Tourette's. He now takes medication to keep in under control. If you dont have it that bad, I would also agree that its probably an anxiety issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,672 times
Hello, unfortunately I have the same problem. I can't stop swallowing when I'm around people even when I'm around my family!! I'm having this problem for more than two years!! It's really driving me crazy. I cry most of the times because of this issue. I was diagnosed with anxiety but I didn't have any medications for this. I didn't know the problem would increase that much I started to become unsocial unlike before. I can't talk to my teachers more than five minutes or do presentations because I keep swallowing over and over nonstop! I dont set next to students so that they wont hear me swallow..It's really embarrassing I can feel that my swallowing causes lots of gross noises but I can't help it what should I do :'( I can't stop thinking about swallowing my own saliva all the time. I'm too embarrassed to tell my parents about this because maybe they would think I have mental problems. I was a social person and I really liked to be around people and do group projects but not anymore because of issue... please help me.. what should I do

Old 04-27-2014, 05:19 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,019,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadskylar View Post
Hello, unfortunately I have the same problem. I can't stop swallowing when I'm around people even when I'm around my family!! I'm having this problem for more than two years!! It's really driving me crazy. I cry most of the times because of this issue. I was diagnosed with anxiety but I didn't have any medications for this. I didn't know the problem would increase that much I started to become unsocial unlike before. I can't talk to my teachers more than five minutes or do presentations because I keep swallowing over and over nonstop! I dont set next to students so that they wont hear me swallow..It's really embarrassing I can feel that my swallowing causes lots of gross noises but I can't help it what should I do :'( I can't stop thinking about swallowing my own saliva all the time. I'm too embarrassed to tell my parents about this because maybe they would think I have mental problems. I was a social person and I really liked to be around people and do group projects but not anymore because of issue... please help me.. what should I do
Go see a doctor. If you have anxiety issues it can also create some other mental disorders. You don't need to always swallow and if you do them you have a physical issue. Go to your doctor, have them check you out and they can prescribe medication which can help people with issues like that. I have had and once in a while still have anxiety issues, nothing to be ashamed of some people are just like that. It just the way we are, go get some help for it. It will only help you. Don't be embarrassed about who you are. Everyone has issues with something, everyone.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,591 times
I would constantly be swallowing my own saliva, I was nervous around a lot of people this would gone on for months. I would shake all day, it was like living in hell. I hated my life and wanted to end it. It is an anxiety issue.

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-26-2016 at 07:51 AM..

Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,963,012 times
How new is your girlfriend? I hear bad decisions like sleeping in the same bed with a new girlfriend causes problems for some folks.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,493 times
Is really an awful anxiety i have too , but please people we need to stop thinking about it so we can control ourself , when it comes to swallow you think too much what is going to happen Am I going to swallow you think to much in your mind , you force your mind to not swallow so jut let it go . swallow and swallow but don't think about it so your swallow gonna be less and less go somewhere play live your life .. I had another problem with my breath about a year i just kept in my mind everytime i spoke to people it was really hard to breath like an habit , so now is gone ... just hang out with friends don't tell anyone your problem just your family... i hope you understood me I forgot to say Swiming is good for mouth muscles it can help you 30% trust me pls.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,337 times
This problem has been effecting me for awhile now, and I know it is anxiety. I've nearly got rid of the problem but it has come back mainly because I have a cold but I wanted to share some advice for others with this problem. All you have to do is allow yourself to swallow whenever you feel like it, relax and think that it is okay to swallow how ever much I want. If you start worrying and trying to stop It because your worried it will never stop this will only put more pressure on not swallowing causing you to swallow. It's a horrible loop and you need to just try to not worry, let it happen as much as it needs to happen and you'll start to forget about it. Another trick is to focus on your hands, you are aware of your body that's why you are noticing normal body functions, so push that energy into your hands and it distracts you. I hope you are okay it is such a horrible thing but you'll be okay. People please just post your advice, an anxious person doesn't need to hear about your life long I obsession with it

Old 12-13-2014, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,345 times
we should remember a mind could concentrate only on one thing
when there is tension your mind concentrate only in that one particular thing
if there is something else you concentrate on one thing
we can only concentrate on one thing at a time
thats the reason why this has occured
try to change your concentration on something else

like i noticed once when i was exercising my heart was beating high
i concentrated in it
and it became like heavy !
aching!
then one day mam was speaking about breathe
suddenly i concentrated so much in breathe
that it looked hard to breathe
what i should do if i dont breathe
till the time i was concentrating on my breathe
i forgot about swallowing saliva
what a magic
saliva is not produced much
when we sleep just because when we sleep
whole bodys nerves relax
so whenever you are swallowing
think that you are just stressed and its an anxiety issue
change your concentration to the other side
you will be amazed
or learn relaxing techniques
meditation is the best way to forget stress and anxiety offer a sincere prayer to god
with full concentration
like you bow in front of god you have given away totally to god
then you will be so relaxed with feeling the presence of god everywhere
that makes you forget swallowing saliva or any thing else.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 28,188 times
Guys, the cure isn't to try to relax nor try to think about something else. It's actually pretty simple. It's your position of your jaw. I had this problem too. The reason why you keep thinking about the saliva is because there is something wrong. The problem is with your jaw position. I'm sure people who have this problem often wonder what is the normal position for your jaw to be in. Well....both the bottom and top teeth are aligned and touching each other. Just picture a skeleton's head, both teeth are on top of each other. Also, make sure your jaw is straight, and not at a diagonal.

BTW: I had this problem for almost a year. I promised myself that I would fix this problem by the end of the year. And I did.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 28,188 times
Guys, I found out one more secret ingredient to put an end to this. It is to use your imagination way more. Like me, I had trouble keeping my mind busy. Well...all you have to do is daydream more. Since I haven't used my imagination in a while, it takes time to get used to it again. So, what I say to myself is this, "Imagine..." It could be anything. Imagine being in space. Imagine being a doctor. Imagine being in someone's position. Imagine someone's point of view. There really is no limit to your imagination. The more you do this, the better off you are. When you get used to it, you don't need to say, "Imagine" anymore. Then you can question things.

Last edited by zoomingding; 12-21-2014 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness