Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

I have had Sinus problems much of my life. I am spending this year in Arizona. I arrived in Sept. I have been plagued with allergies, sinus headaches and overall up and down not feeling well. Since about a month after arriving here. I honestly think my body has an adversion to all the dust, and what might be blowing around in that dust.

Thursday afternoon I came home from the gym. Its a gym I notice I constantly develop a sinus headache in, and one day the week before. I had a terrible allergy attack at the gym, nonstop sneezing. Well this Thursday afternoon when I got home I suddenly developed a wheezing feeling. Sort of like I was breathing smoke. Well evidently it was the start of sinus troubles hitting me, so the wheezing must have been post nasal drip. It got worse now I have no voice and the little I have sounds like a horn. I can't say I feel sick other than some post nasal drip, with a little chest congestion feel. I remember it was a very windy day and I just feel there is something to that. Probably because I have felt worse sinus trouble here on windy days.

Has anyone ever had their sinus completely cause them to loose their voice. I can feel the pressure in my sinus. I have taken some decongestant. I was already on Flonase for allergies. Any suggestions. Yes I am going to call the doctor on Monday am.

I am finding the Phoenix area is a poor choice for retirement for me, if this is how I am going to feel here. I can't say I have had one week here, where I don't feel like I am in some stage of sinus infections. A long way to come to find this out. Good thing I rented first. Thanks

Sorry I meant for this to go in the General Health/Wellness forum. I don't know how to get it over there. Thanks.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 01-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Wrong forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
I may be from the drainage that usually come with severe sinusitis. Try draining your nose with a warm saltwater solution

The Sinus Solution

This is what me and my family have been using and it works pretty good.
Source: How to Make a Sinus Rinse | eHow.com

Old 01-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I may be from the drainage that usually come with severe sinusitis. Try draining your nose with a warm saltwater solution

The Sinus Solution

This is what me and my family have been using and it works pretty good.
Source: How to Make a Sinus Rinse | eHow.com

Actually I have been doing the Sinus Rinse, since shortly after arriving in Arizona in Sept. Not really sure if it was helping me very much. The doctor put me on Flonase in November, when the condition seemed to be getting worse. That helped some but not enough. This episode is the worst I have ever had, where it went after my voice. Today I can only talk a little and for a short time. Tomorrow I am calling the Doctor about what to do next. I'm well aware the dust in the desert and the vegetation is triggering this. Its like my body just has to see all the dirt and it pulls back.

In some ways I'm glad this happened early in my visit to Arizona this year. I know early on this is not a suitable area for me to retire to, and I can make other arrangements.

Thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Actually I have been doing the Sinus Rinse, since shortly after arriving in Arizona in Sept. Not really sure if it was helping me very much. The doctor put me on Flonase in November, when the condition seemed to be getting worse. That helped some but not enough. This episode is the worst I have ever had, where it went after my voice. Today I can only talk a little and for a short time. Tomorrow I am calling the Doctor about what to do next. I'm well aware the dust in the desert and the vegetation is triggering this. Its like my body just has to see all the dirt and it pulls back.

In some ways I'm glad this happened early in my visit to Arizona this year. I know early on this is not a suitable area for me to retire to, and I can make other arrangements.

Thanks.
I was living in Atlanta and that was considerably worst because of the pollen adn unseen pollution. I ended up getting surgery but it did stopped the headaches and the drainage. Unfortunately my sense of smell is limited.

Have you used the sinus rinse twice a day for a week? Give it a go, because sometimes your body has to get use to it.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:38 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
OP your sinus drainage is attaching itself to your vocal chords and irritating them and that's what causes the hoarseness. Go to the drugstore and tell the pharmacist your situation and he can recommend an over the counter remedy.

Iv'e lived here in the Phoenix area for nearly 50 years and have had sinusitis all that time. Various doctors had performed testing, surgery etal with each saying something different was wrong. A couple of years ago I was spending the summer in Minnesota and had a sever spell there. I was reccomended to a holistic allergist there and after testing said everything previous doctors had concluded was wrong. I was not allergic to the dust or vegetation etal. It was food products that caused the reactions, primarily dairy products. He started me on a glutten free diet and in less than a week my problems disappeared.
You may want to look into that. I can tell the difference when I fall off my diet.
He said everybody is allergic to something and it doesn't matter where you move too you'll find different circumstances at each place and need to get tested and adjust to the new environment.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was living in Atlanta and that was considerably worst because of the pollen adn unseen pollution. I ended up getting surgery but it did stopped the headaches and the drainage. Unfortunately my sense of smell is limited.

Have you used the sinus rinse twice a day for a week? Give it a go, because sometimes your body has to get use to it.

Yes I know about Atlanta, I was based there for a year. I remember the pollen all over the cars. Funny I guess I didn't have serious allergy or sinus trouble then.

I am using the sinus rinse. It seems to help for awhile but then I'm all stuffed up again later.

I did see the doctor today and he gave me a referral to an ENT because I have chronic problems with sinus. He also put me on one of those antibiotic Zpacks.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP your sinus drainage is attaching itself to your vocal chords and irritating them and that's what causes the hoarseness. Go to the drugstore and tell the pharmacist your situation and he can recommend an over the counter remedy.

Iv'e lived here in the Phoenix area for nearly 50 years and have had sinusitis all that time. Various doctors had performed testing, surgery etal with each saying something different was wrong. A couple of years ago I was spending the summer in Minnesota and had a sever spell there. I was reccomended to a holistic allergist there and after testing said everything previous doctors had concluded was wrong. I was not allergic to the dust or vegetation etal. It was food products that caused the reactions, primarily dairy products. He started me on a glutten free diet and in less than a week my problems disappeared.
You may want to look into that. I can tell the difference when I fall off my diet.
He said everybody is allergic to something and it doesn't matter where you move too you'll find different circumstances at each place and need to get tested and adjust to the new environment.

Thanks. Yes I agree with you about the drainage and vocal cords. That's exactly what the doctor told me today.

Maybe your right perhaps diet does have something to do with all of this. I do think adjusting to new places, puts a lot of stress on the body and new allergies may develop.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:54 AM

The doctor has me on antibiotics a Zpack. I'm on the last day of the pills. You only take a Zpack for a few days vs the 10 day course of regular antibiotics. I've been on them twice now since Oct with this ongoing problem. A problem that really has gotten out of control since moving to AZ in Sept. However I do feel much better now. My voice is not completely back yet but its a lot better. I still can't shake all the coughing especially at nighttime.

I'm being sent to the ENT and allergy doctor here. Doctor feels the allergies are triggering a lot of sinus and respitory problems for me. Even while taking allergy medications and Flonase. Somehow this isn't what I planned on doing to this extent anyway in retirement. Spending all this time and money at doctors because of the environment where I'm living. I think our bodies let us know when something or someplace isn't agreeing with us. This area does seem to be making me sick, and I dread a windy day here in this dust. I think I'm going to have to return to areas I'm use to in life. The coastal regions where there is more of a change in airflow and moisture. Not so polluted. Even though the climate might not be as warm or sunny as I like. What else can you do. I'm guessing people with serious sinus problems, might very well be worse off in the Phoenix area. Perhaps the areas environment aggravates the condition. Sometimes that's how life is I guess. You try it out and it doesn't fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness