Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,465 times

Advertisements

unfortunately doctors are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

however, you are paid to do the best for your patients, and if that means taking a verbal beating for not prescribing a drug that is not clinically indicated, then im sure you are big enough to take it.

irresponsible prescribing is partly to blame for patient expectations; its not just about patient ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
unfortunately doctors are damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

however, you are paid to do the best for your patients, and if that means taking a verbal beating for not prescribing a drug that is not clinically indicated, then im sure you are big enough to take it.

irresponsible prescribing is partly to blame for patient expectations; its not just about patient ignorance.
True fact.
Until you factor in that satisfaction scores can now make or break you.
It's literally the number one thing hospitals care about - even more than core measures.
And any doc making anyone unhappy can get the boot now just for that.
Never mind losing the patient who didn't get his way (if you're talking private practice).

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
It might be productive for doctors to post in their waiting rooms informational signs or pamphlets explaining that antibiotics will never cure a viral infection, that overuse of antibiotics is a serious public health problem, and that most conditions will spontaneously resolve in a brief period. For these reasons the doctor will not be prescribing antibiotics in the absence of evidence that a bacterial infection is present.

It's surprising, given how much coverage this issue has received in recent years, that this is still a problem, but education is a crucial element of the solution.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:20 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I had a "cold" last month and I had people telling me to go to the doctor and even offering me antibiotics they had on hand. I refused because I didn't consider my symptoms to be acute and they went away on their own. As a past severe bronchitis patient, I know when to see a doctor but I usually wait till the 2nd week of a "cold" to seek medical attention since I don't have health care insurance and little money to pay a doctor.

My advice to the medical community for those that seek treatments as soon as they exhibit symptoms..."I will give you this prescription for an antibiotic but I want you to wait 7 days to start taking it. If your symptoms go away within those 7 days...great, but if not, you'll have the meds you say you need."

Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
OP, part of the problem is that there are still docs that prescribe like this. My husband's primary care physician will prescribe almost anything over the phone, without an office visit, for a longstanding patient. They get Z-packs, codeine cough syrup, allergy meds, muscle relaxants etc with only a phone call from my mother in law.

And then, of course, there are people who are so blindingly anti science, anti intellectualism that you can't even explain the difference between bacteria and viruses. To them, "antibiotic" just means "pill I demand when I feel sick." Same folks I bang my head against the wall for when trying to explain why you must pressure can green beans.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I just buy my antibiotics online...it costs less for a bottle of 100 amoxicillin than my copay and I can guess when I need them about as well as my doctor can.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I just buy my antibiotics online...it costs less for a bottle of 100 amoxicillin than my copay and I can guess when I need them about as well as my doctor can.
Really???

Not all antibiotics work for all things. You are really not doing yourself any favors, in my non-medical opinion.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
You would love me as a patient, the last time I was sick I was sick for almost 3 months because what I thought was a simple cold turned into infection in both ears, full blown sinus infection, upper respiratory infection and just for fun after I took a few days of the zpac I got a urinary tract infection and I have Primary Biliary Cirrhosis. Yet I still do NOT go to the Doctor until I pretty much have to crawl into the office.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
How do you legally purchase antibiotics online without a prescription?

Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How do you legally purchase antibiotics online without a prescription?
Ebay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness