Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,825,141 times

Advertisements

There is a young man I've known for years who comes in the public library just about every morning. He smells bad. His older brother is a longtime friend who I used to visit when he lived here. I remember the house smelling bad, just like this young man. Why do some households stink? Some people say body odors are subjective, but I'm not the only one who finds this odor offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Cats
Cooking
No cleaning
Windows not left open
Filthy carpets
Lots of pungent foods eaten (emits odors from skin)
Smokers

Old 11-28-2012, 11:00 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,274,510 times
Dirty house,dirty stuff,dirty people..lol OH and by the way I LOVE your name...Moldy Old Schmo!!!!!! LOLOLOL

Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,869,572 times
Letting your dog(s) sleep on your bed or sofa, lying on the floor with them, being in close contact all the time (hugging). My house was clean but my son smelt musty due to the 2 dogs he let sleep with him.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,673,914 times
The first thing I would think of is the type of food they cook and eat.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:52 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There is a young man I've known for years who comes in the public library just about every morning. He smells bad. His older brother is a longtime friend who I used to visit when he lived here. I remember the house smelling bad, just like this young man. Why do some households stink? Some people say body odors are subjective, but I'm not the only one who finds this odor offensive.
Maybe there's mouldy old schmoes living there?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:28 PM

22,865 posts, read 6,445,738 times
I knew a senior couple who didn't want their house to smell like "old people" so they put moth balls everywhere. (Why moth balls?)
Once you left you would have that smell on your clothes, in your hair, etc. It was overpowering.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,092 times
It's amazing how many people don't open their windows for a change of air. I have a friend like this, and she's always bemoaning her CPOD and need for inhalers. To make things worse, she uses fabric softener sheets in her laundry. Yeccchh!

Old 11-29-2012, 11:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
I knew a senior couple who didn't want their house to smell like "old people" so they put moth balls everywhere. (Why moth balls?)
Once you left you would have that smell on your clothes, in your hair, etc. It was overpowering.
That's ironic because IMO moth balls smell like an old-people house.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,496,623 times
Yeah, moth ball remind me of old people, so that was a strange choice.

Also keep in mind that no matter what the reason is, these people probably don't have a clue that both them and their home stink. When you live in it and are around it all the time you don't smell anything. I watch those Hoarding shows and these house are the worse, beyond belief, and yet they do not smell it. My first thought was pets in the home. I am an animal lover but I know that pets can really cause some problems with odor. Litter boxes not cared for well, wet dog, animals never bathed, poor housekeeping in general and as related to pets.

This reminds me of when I was a child. I had a boy in my class that smelled really bad all the time, and it wasn't BO. I was never in his house but when you just walked by it the smell was terrible. As kids we would cross the street to avoid walking right past the front of the house. After years of this I found out that they did at-home taxidermy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness