Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 AM

1,896 posts, read 2,541,594 times

Advertisements

For some reason in the past few days I've been having this terrible shoulder pain. I've had this kind of pain before (when I used to lift weights), except not this severe. When I had this pain before I just rested a few days and then it went away. I haven't had this kind of pain in years. I have a feeling it has something to do with inflamation in my rotater cuff area. I don't do any kinds of exercise so I'm not sure what caused this. Maybe I slept on it in a funny way. Anyway, even when I remain absolutely still I can still feel pain. It's especially sore when I move my shoulder in any way. It actually started a few days ago, got better for a day, and then today it's back worse than ever.

I tried ice and it only dulled the pain for a little while. I don't think it's the muscle (therefore I haven't tried heat treatment), I think it's the tendon or something like that but I'm not sure what caused it. Does anyone know what I should do? I think if the pain doesn't go away in a week I may need to visit a doctor, which I don't want to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,573,499 times
My husband is currently being treated for frozen shoulder. His came on out of the blue after doing push-ups!
Good Luck,

Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,920,170 times
I get it sometimes after picking up something heavy. In my case it's caused by muscle spasm. Massage and heat and ibuprofen are what help me the most.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:31 PM

I just went to the doctor today and he gave me 3 Celebrex pills and told me it's probably tendinitis. The only thing unusual is that it just came out of the blue one morning. I don't do anything in my daily life that I think could put a strain on my shoulder so it's kind of a mystery as to why it happened. I just hope it's not serious since this pain is driving my nuts.

Has anyone ever taken Celebrex before? How long does it take to reduce the pain?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,844,741 times
Going to a Chiropractor regularly for alignment works great for me. My neck & shoulder pain is healing now. My doctor prescribed muscle relaxant & spasm control medicine but I hated the side effects. I wanted a long term solution so I have been going to the chiropractor. The muscles keep pulling away from the bone & it causes pain after lifting weights. A chiropractor will align the muscle correctly & the pain goes away. Its a part of preventive medicine so most of the health insurance companies will allow substantial amount of free visits per year.

Once its healed, try stretching or yoga before & after lifting weights to avoid the stress.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,015,514 times
Celebrex is a strong anti-inflammatory.....stronger than OTC ibuprofen or meds. like that. Hubby has taken it.....when I got bursitis (out of the blue, so it can happen!), I was given a different medication, but the same general properties....

Take as directed...it should help in a few days. It has to build up in your system a bit!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM

325 posts, read 1,021,485 times
I am in Physical Therapy right now for Frozen Shoulder. I thought like many people do that it was related to the Rotator Cuff. I waited about a month or more and it just kept getting worse so I finally went to the doctor. The sooner a person with Frozen Shoulder starts therapy the quicker they can get better, usually.

The shoulders are such a complex joint, I would go to the doctor to get diagnosis. I wish I would have gone sooner but glad I went as soon as I did, if that makes sense. Frozen Shoulder therapy can take 6 months to 18 months to heal with therapy.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 AM

If Celebrex is a strong anti-inflammatory then my tendinitis must have been really bad as I took it for 3 days and it didn't help at all, in fact my pain got worse and worse every day to the point the pain was almost unbearable 24 hours a day. By brother in law is a doctor and said that he wasn't surprised the Celebrex didn't work, guess it doesn't work for everybody. Vicodin also didn't help one bit. Last Wednesday I got a cortisone shot and the pain immediately got better although it took a few days for it to really subside. Right now I only have a small discomfort when I rotate my arm. That cortisone shot really saved me from going insane.

I think from now on I'll stretch daily, not sure it'll help though but I do know I never want to go through this again. Hope as I get older I don't have more problems like this.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:44 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,834,179 times
My brother suddenly had severe pain in his shoulder in his early 60s which just did not go away. After several visits the doctor told him he had nerves being pinched in his shoulder joint due to insufficient bone clearance. Next thing I know he is being operated on to supposedly hollow out and increase this bone clearance. Advance a few years forward and nothing has really improved. My word in caution with what some of these yahoos tell you.

I did have remarkable results with a Chiropractor with my back. The Orthopedic doctors I had consulted were treating me with a series of what they called therapy. When I look back it was just a lot of hogwash - thermal packs, messages, etc. No real cure for the underlying problems, just camouflage.

I had an episode where the pain was so great I decided to go visit a Chiropractor a work associate who also had a back problems recommended. My first visit the Chiropractor said I first have to take X-rays, there are certain conditions I can treat and others I cannot. Come back early tomorrow morning and I will have a position.

The next morning I was back in his office bright and early. He had my x-rays up on a viewing screen. His first question was How many males in your family have back problems? I said, well just about everyone, my father, my uncles, everyone I know.

He said I thought so, you are all tall right, 6ft plus, and you all have the same genetic inherited deformity of the spine, your lower veterbra have abnormal spacing. This causes a weakness inducing collapse of the lubricating discs and pinching of nerves. This is the source of your pain. Then he pointed out how the one vertebra had collapsed to the point it had eroded a hole into the one below it. He said this had to start when you were a teenager.

By this time I am beginning to trust the guy. Then he tells me I can manuver these bones so they will take the pressure off of the nerves. I go great Doc! Then he says, but once I do that you will feel so good you will decide coming to visit me regularly is too much of a hassle. He was absolutely right. Once my pain went away I was a goner.

A few years later I was rototilling my garden space in the back yard. I had wrestled the rototiller around a corner when suddenly I hit the ground. Yep the back again, I had done something to pinch a nerve. I eventually crawled across the backyard on my elbows, up on my patio, and rang the doorbell to get the attention of my wife. I said call the Chiropractor and tell him we are coming down. Somehow the wife managed to get me in the car and down to the Chiropractor's office. Once again he did his magic, and after a few weeks I felt perfectly fine.

I hear a lot detrimental to chiroprarctors. My personal experience is nothing but good. The ones I dealt with were professional in every sense of the word.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:46 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,264,158 times
I've had this left shoulder pain for a month. I really don't worry about it too much i believe it will heal in due time. But today the pain started to radiate into the area around my left ribs. I can't breath properly. Anyone with similar experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness