Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be calling tomorrow to make my appointment for a thyroid blood draw. I saw an endo a few months back but never made the blood draw appointment (in florida you have to go to some specialty lab place I guess... this is a foreign concept for me since my previous residence in Nebraska they did it in the office).

I'm kinda worried that the doc isnt going to be open to adjusting my thyroid closer to a 1 - he seems kinda like a "by the book" kinda doc, but i did only meet him once, so i could be completely wrong. I *KNOW* my thyroid is out of whack, i just know it. Perpetually tired, weight gain, etc.

So, in preparation for the appointment post blood draw, what can I say to the doc to encourage him to medicate for it? The part that worries me the most is by the doc books tend to only medicate if its over 3-5, but in reality, the levels should be closer to a 1. Most docs dont quite know that yet.

As a side question... for those who have taken synthroid (or the like), how long did it take before you stopped gaining the constant weight and actually started losing? I'm so sick of seeing the scale numbers go up and up no matter how many food and exercise changes i've made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
I had Graves Disease and was super skinny, as a result. I had my thyroid nuked and then started synthetic thyroid. I gained 30 lbs. in 3 weeks and I have never really taken the weight off . . . I was told when the medication kicked in I would stabilize, but I guess I never did

Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,067,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I'm going to be calling tomorrow to make my appointment for a thyroid blood draw. I saw an endo a few months back but never made the blood draw appointment (in florida you have to go to some specialty lab place I guess... this is a foreign concept for me since my previous residence in Nebraska they did it in the office).

I'm kinda worried that the doc isnt going to be open to adjusting my thyroid closer to a 1 - he seems kinda like a "by the book" kinda doc, but i did only meet him once, so i could be completely wrong. I *KNOW* my thyroid is out of whack, i just know it. Perpetually tired, weight gain, etc.

So, in preparation for the appointment post blood draw, what can I say to the doc to encourage him to medicate for it? The part that worries me the most is by the doc books tend to only medicate if its over 3-5, but in reality, the levels should be closer to a 1. Most docs dont quite know that yet.

As a side question... for those who have taken synthroid (or the like), how long did it take before you stopped gaining the constant weight and actually started losing? I'm so sick of seeing the scale numbers go up and up no matter how many food and exercise changes i've made.
If your endo is a good doctor, they will take into account your symptoms along with your numbers. Some people actually function normally with no symptoms at 3, 4 or 5. If you don't feel like you are getting the proper treatment, get a second opinion.

See if your doc is listed here:
About.com: http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/florida.htm

I found mine through there and have been very happy. He takes into account my symptoms, numbers, size of my goiter..etc. He doesn't just treat the numbers which is what some docs do.

I gained 20lbs in about a year and I lost that 20lbs in the first 2 months with very minimal effort. The rest of the weight I want to lose...lol, well that's a different story. I've got about 15lbs to go and that's been a struggle. I was diagnosed over a year and half ago and I'm still going through adjustments for meds.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
I know i'm probably just being paranoid... i'm just worried that the doc wont listen to my concerns. I only met him once and he said it "sounded" like my thyroid was out of whack but wanted to see the numbers first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness