Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Rotator cuff. The surgery rarely works as promised. Try anti inflammatories rest it and pray for pain to subside.
My rotator cuff surgery worked 100%. I am a regular swimmer and the inability to stroke properly and painlessly forced my decision to visit the doctor, get an MRI, verify a tear, and decide on surgury. Completely painless (accept for the needle used to put me to sleep). Biggest bummer was three months no swimming or basketball. Physical therapy wasn't hard, a little boring and time consuming. Insurance paid everything. Now I have zero problem swimming and starting to feel it in the other shoulder so I may be doing the other shoulder in the next couple years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,496,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My rotator cuff surgery worked 100%. I am a regular swimmer and the inability to stroke properly and painlessly forced my decision to visit the doctor, get an MRI, verify a tear, and decide on surgury. Completely painless (accept for the needle used to put me to sleep). Biggest bummer was three months no swimming or basketball. Physical therapy wasn't hard, a little boring and time consuming. Insurance paid everything. Now I have zero problem swimming and starting to feel it in the other shoulder so I may be doing the other shoulder in the next couple years.
I am glad your surgery worked well.

Rotator cuff surgery works pretty well on a child, young adult and when there is a recent injury.

Here is the problem. What is done is this:

Removing loose fragments of tendon, bursa, and other debris from the space in the shoulder where the rotator cuff moves.

Making more room for the rotator cuff tendon so it is not pinched or irritated. If necessary, this includes shaving bone or removing bone spurs from the point of the shoulder blade (subacromial smoothing).

Sewing the torn edges of the supraspinatus tendon together and to the top of the upper arm bone (humerus).

(From WebMD).

The problem is that none of these things are definitive procedures. Maybe they work, maybe they don't. If you have appendicitis, they remove it and if you don't get an infection you are cured. When you have a simple fracture of the femur, they set it, cast it and it heals and you may never know you had it.

But, when you have tendons sewn together and bone shaved and spurs removed, its all a matter of art not science. You may have a good recovery, as you did, or you may have limited or painful motion, clicks and knocks, chronic swelling, osteoarthritis or all of these. Just from the surgery.

It should be a last option for everyone but a high school kid who has just hurt his shoulder in sports, or equivalent. Let me say it another way. If you go to a surgeon you are going to get the surgery. Its all they know to do for you.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM

7,654 posts, read 8,724,194 times
Hi, this may not be your case, but sometimes shoulder pains are actually a symptom of heart attack. You should see doctor and mention this.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You have a sprained ankle on your shoulder.

Rotator cuff tear? Happened to me. Surgery, out three months.

Ditto but out 14 months.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM

22,666 posts, read 24,627,441 times
If it is a sharp pain that feels very acute at the top of the muscle, it may be an injured nerve, there is a big one right on top of that muscle.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,394 times
I have pain in both shoulders cant lay on them cant lift cant put my arms behind back whats going on can even hear my bones when trying to lift my arms pain is getting wors

Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,109,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Or rotator cuff tendinitis. Hurts like hell.

Shoulder Impingement/Rotator Cuff Tendinitis - OrthoInfo - AAOS
That's what it sounds like to me. I have had it for almost 2 years now. My husband had surgery for a rotator cuff tear, and I do not want to go through that. It's the most hellish recovery I've ever witnessed. I was able to get mine to subside via resting it for a few months and then doing some physical therapy. If I push it, it hurts again for a month or two. Closing curtains would make it hurt. Sliding hangers on the clothing racks at the department store was painful.

I'm warning the OP to see an orthopedic surgeon ASAP. Tell him you want the most conservative treatment----that you want to try injections and physical therapy first. Surgery only as a last resort and when absolutely necessary because you will be completely out of commission for 3 to 6 months. Some people take over a year to recover. Sometimes people never regain their strength after the surgery. My husband probably has 80% of his strength back, and his surgery was 3 years ago.

At least it sounds like you have full range of motion still. Your not saying that you can't lift your arm above your shoulder. (DON'T TRY IT NOW.) It sounds like you might be able to treat this conservatively like I have.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanten54 View Post
I have pain in both shoulders cant lay on them cant lift cant put my arms behind back whats going on can even hear my bones when trying to lift my arms pain is getting wors
Arthritis most likely

Can you see doctor?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,934,509 times
Could also be a herniated cervical disc if the pain feels like it has to do with nerves and not achy muscular types of pain.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,259 times
I am a truck driver and omg the pain on my shoulder hurts so bad any
Side to side up or down or up and at time's feel like its moving to my neck and back, i cant aford to take the time off. So much pain getting harder to drive a rig the pain makes me cry. Help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness