Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
oops, a typo----I meant 3 or 4 weeks, not 304 weeks

Any ideas what it could be? I do plan to see an eye doctor soon---maybe in 203 weeks----I meant 2 or 3 weeks
Don't waste time going to the eye doctor, go straight to your internist of family doctor.

This could be a sign of something serious in your body so make an appt soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 02:32 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Default Hypnopompic hallucinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I know, I should see an eye doctor for this, and probably will. with all mysterious symptoms, I prefer to wait and see if they go away on their own.

For about the last 304 weeks, I have been seeing yellow when i wake up. I know it sounds odd. When I wake up, when I'm half-awake and not quite "with it" I see bright yellow light. I don't mean spots, I mean it looks like the wall or door or whatever is a bright yellow. Once i thought the house was on fire! I usually wake up when dh gets up, he says I often ask if there's something yellow in the room.

This morning I went out to the kitchen, my dd said I asked if there was a yellow light on. I don't remember that. Later this afternoon, I was taking a nap, woke up and thought my dd was in my room with a boquet of yellow flowers, she insists she wasn't even home at that time.

What on earth could this be? I never "see yellow' when fully awake, only when coming out of sleep. Could there be something wrong with my eyes? Anyone ever hear of this before?
From what you describe, this may be what is happening:

What Are Hypnopompic Hallucinations?

"Hypnopompic hallucinations are often discussed along with hypnogogic hallucinations. Both of these have to do with hallucinations occurring as people enter or exit sleep. When people are just on the edge of sleep they might experience hypnogogic hallucinations. If a person is about to wake, he or she could have a hypnopompic hallucination."

In the last month, have you started any new medications?

Do you have a sleep disorder? If you snore, that is a good possibility.

It is definitely something to talk with your doctor about, but it probably does not mean anything dangerous is going on.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 69,111 times
I see yellow also in the middle of the night when I wake up. The walls and the ceilings are yellow, but if I blink a few times the color comes back to the original color. I use a CPAP machine nightly and was recently put on meloxicam. I'd like to know why I see yellow and not any other color. In the middle of the night is the only time I see yellow, when I have awaken from sleep to open my eyes, if I hear a noise or to turn over. Very weird.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:06 AM

1 posts, read 60,316 times
I have the same visions of yellow when I wake up in the am. I also have sleep apnea but have not been sleeping with machine. I am under a lot of stress. Have you found any solutions?

Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 59,888 times
I've been doing that too. I was hoping there was an answer. It's really weird! Even my iPad loos oddly yellow. I see my doctor on Monday. Hopefully there will be an answer. 

Old 06-19-2013, 05:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Looks like this has been bumped.

I had a similar experience several years ago. I went to my ophthalmologist, who could find nothing wrong, and he said it could be attributed to stress. In fact, it was a stressful time in my life, but the doctor did not know that.

It was more intense in one eye than the other. For example, the indicator light on my computer speaker, normally green, looked green with one eye, but bright yellow with the other. The doctor showed me a bright red object, and I told him it was orange. This color mis-identification persisted all day and night. It lasted for about a week, and then gradually went away over a period of several days, without any specific treatment.

I had had hepatitis-A in the past, which did not affect my color vision. I'd also h ad cataract surgery in the past, to that was also not an issue. Although it is true that cataracts can cause a yellowing (or tanning or graying) of the field of view, it is of very slow onset and progression, so the patient does not notice it from day to day.

So, examine your lifestyle, see if there are any unusual emotional stress factors taking place, and address those if there are.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-19-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 59,705 times
To those commenting on seeing yellow, any answers?
About 1 1/2 yrs ago I had the same occurance about 3-4 times upon waking from a nap. the whole room was bright yellow for about 5-10 seconds. Images were clear. Didn't do anything about it and it seemed to subside.
Last week it happened again. I woke from a nap and my small dog was standing there completely yellow.
I have contacted the VA for an appointment and I'm waiting for a call back from a triage nurse. I'm pretty sure age, 67, is a contributing factor.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 AM

2 posts, read 65,123 times
I am also seeing yellow upon awakening. I go to Doctor on the 17th. I have some health issues going on and have been under stress. Will post again after talking to her. So glad you folks posted, I don't feel like I am going crazy now.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 58,002 times
I see yellow, upon awakening, as well. Not every time, but sometimes, when I am dozing in a chair or resting, I see yellow when I first open my eyes and I look around. It doesn't last long, but it is definitely yellow. I saw an ophthalmologist right away about this because I was alarmed (this was several years ago). I immediately thought there must be a tumor in my brain! The Dr. completely down played my concerns. He told me it was "probably something metabolic". He advised me to "wait a few weeks", and it would probably go away. I thought his explanation was rather vague and useless. I have tried to do some research on this issue, but I haven't found much. This is the first time I have read about someone who see's yellow just when they first wake up. So that's two people with the same symptoms! I have not seen another Dr; I'm not sure why. I guess I don't want to know what's going on if it is serious. Rather childish I know,but I'm just being honest. We can't be the only two people to present with these symptoms: who might know something more about this?

Old 03-22-2015, 10:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
One day I suddenly started seeing yellow. All the time. I went to my ophthalmologist, he could not find any systemic reason for it. He told me that I might be experiencing extreme emotional stress (which for a few day I had been). After a week or so, it gradually went away. I noticed it because the indicator light on my computer speakers is normally green, but it turned yellow, much yeloower with one eye than the other.

I had had a couple of mini-strokes in the years before that, and I suspect that the yellowness of vision might have been a TIA. An echocardiogram might be in order to explore for evidence of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness