Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM

8 posts, read 12,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakadan View Post
I had the urethrotomy twice. It worked both times for a while but the tissue grew again each time. The first operation gave me relief for about 2 years but had an emergency situation when flow stopped completely. For a few yers then I self catheterized daily to keep the urethra open. After enough of this I had another urethrotomy but within 5 months my flow had halved and I needed to start dilating at the hospital every month. Finally now I will have the urethra reconstruction.

It is now a month since I had urethroplasty on Dec 10. Here in Japan I was hospitalized for 3 weeks. Two months prior to the operation my urethra completely blocked and I was given a supra-pubic catheter until the operation that had already been scheduled around my vacation.

Technically the operation went well, even better than expected. The surgeon had anticipated transplanting membrane from inside the mouth to help reconstruct the urethra, In the end this wasn&t necessary, They just cut of the bad part and rejoined the urethra.

A month later feeling hasn't fully returned to my penis or testicles. Worse still is that I have not been able to get erect since the operation. This had never been a problem before. The surgeon says that I bleed excessively during surgery and it was necessary to cauterize a lot, damaging nerves. He expects that things should be back to normal within 3-6 months. Has anyone else had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:45 PM

17,553 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
My husband has had surgery 3 times on a urethral stricture (one each year for 3 years) and he is having trouble again. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, how are you treating the problem. What he has had done is not working.
I've never had surgery. My urologist is much more conservative and it works for me. Whenever te stricture gets too bad (split stream and upside down funnel shaped stream) he brings me in for dilation with urethral sounds. He calls it a medieval treatment, but better than surgery (which causes more strictures which get worse and worse)

Uncomfortable, but not painful. A local anesthetic gel

The dilations have been working for 5 years, or so

His partner (also conservative, after cystoscopy to see what is going on, she wants me to avoid surgery as long as possible) wants to try something different. She wants to teach me to catheterize myself with progressively larger catheters to dilate myself. Or, get me an Rx for dilators -sounds. I'm just not sure that I am ready to do that to myself

If any of you are self dilating, how bad, or easy, is it for you.

Last edited by mike1003; 01-17-2019 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 AM

8 posts, read 12,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I've never had surgery. My urologist is much more conservative and it works for me. Whenever te stricture gets too bad (split stream and upside down funnel shaped stream) he brings me in for dilation with urethral sounds. He calls it a medieval treatment, but better than surgery (which causes more strictures which get worse and worse)

Uncomfortable, but not painful. A local anesthetic gel

The dilations have been working for 5 years, or so

His partner (also conservative, after cystoscopy to see what is going on, she wants me to avoid surgery as long as possible) wants to try something different. She wants to teach me to catheterize myself with progressively larger catheters to dilate myself. Or, get me an Rx for dilators -sounds. I'm just not sure that I am ready to do that to myself

If any of you are self dilating, how bad, or easy, is it for you.

I was having monthly dilation for 18 months at one hospital. They eventually decided they didn't have the skill to operate. At the new hospital the surgeon reviewed all my data and found that my stricture had grown close to 2cm over the 18 months and in all likelihood it was caused by the dilation. He felt that if i didn't go through with the operation I would eventually need to catheterise daily for the rest of my life. I had tried it for 6 months prior to the dilations but I hated it and found it very depressing.

My operation was just 5 weeks ago and erections still haven't returned but I feel after dealing with this condition for more than 15 years I feel the urethroplasty is the best thing I have ever done.

I think you should read some of the research papers on the procedure. Most people have long term success.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:21 AM

4 posts, read 10,068 times
hi,
im a 31 year old male and have been experiencing very concerning symptoms. i think i may have a stricture, but am not quite sure. i have to urinate almost every 20 mins and have discomfort in my urethra. For background, i have had several catheterizations and fear this has done some damage to my urethra....
One odd thing is that i have had an RUG and cystoscopy and both came back normal, but my symptoms are very alarming. Also, since the cystoscopy i have had a sharp stinging sensation in my urethra and now wonder if the procedure has caused damage.
My question is, how long does it usually take to form a stricture until it becomes severe? im fearful that im presenting early signs of a stricture which may be why the tests didnt show a stricture because it hasn't gotten so bad yet.

Any advise or answers are welcome.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydove13 View Post
hi,
im a 31 year old male and have been experiencing very concerning symptoms. i think i may have a stricture, but am not quite sure. i have to urinate almost every 20 mins and have discomfort in my urethra. For background, i have had several catheterizations and fear this has done some damage to my urethra....
One odd thing is that i have had an RUG and cystoscopy and both came back normal, but my symptoms are very alarming. Also, since the cystoscopy i have had a sharp stinging sensation in my urethra and now wonder if the procedure has caused damage.
My question is, how long does it usually take to form a stricture until it becomes severe? im fearful that im presenting early signs of a stricture which may be why the tests didnt show a stricture because it hasn't gotten so bad yet.

Any advise or answers are welcome.

At your age, those questions are for your urologist

Old 09-07-2020, 12:09 PM

I’m just trying to get some feedback and personal experience on the matter, my urologist can’t really relate to the issue as he doesn’t have urethral strictures himself... I want to know what symptoms most people have had, how they were diagnosed, and what procedures were done to treat the disease.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:04 PM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
My husband has had surgery 3 times on a urethral stricture (one each year for 3 years) and he is having trouble again. Has anyone ever had this problem? If so, how are you treating the problem. What he has had done is not working.
Never heard of it. What is it? I guess it has something to with peeing. When i went to school i could go 10 hours without going and now i go 40 times a day it seems.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:33 PM

Is it true that a cystoscopy is limited in identifying the exact location of a urethral stricture due to the size of the scope and degree of narrowing of the stricture? Also, I read that a stricture can be worse than what it appears to be on a retrograde urethrogram...

If anyone has knowledge of this and or have had a cystoscopy and RUG done I would appreciate your input.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydove13 View Post
I’m just trying to get some feedback and personal experience on the matter, my urologist can’t really relate to the issue as he doesn’t have urethral strictures himself... I want to know what symptoms most people have had, how they were diagnosed, and what procedures were done to treat the disease.

Mike throws in the red Bull Crap Flag! This is total BS. Every urologists "can relate" identify and treat strictures. That's their education and training!

Old 09-20-2020, 07:46 AM

Mike1003 - would a urologist who doesn’t specialize in urethral strictures still be competent in identifying strictures? I’m worried that the urologist who did my cystoscopy doesn’t know what stricture look like or how they work and may have overlooked a stricture when doing the procedure... all my symptoms point toward urethral strictures and I’ve had many catheterizations and think my urethra has been damaged from them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness