Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:50 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regalize View Post
I live in UK, and have been wearing/using prescription varifocals with transitional lenses for some years. Two weeks ago my everyday pair started to become opaque. Closer inspection (with my spare pair) showed the lenses looked like crazy garden paving. The optician (not a budget outlet) said she had never seen this before. The warranty is past its sell by date by 18months so it seems I have no redress on specs that cost £400 ! However, with a bit of persuasion, she has agreed to send them back to the manufactures for investigation. There were some bizarre questions. eg, have I subjected them to intense sunlight? er, excuse me the transitional part of the lens turns them into sunglasses! I feel there must be an intrinsic fault for both lenses to shatter in this way. Is there an inbuilt sell by date even with glasses?
I realize this is an old post, but just wanted to relay an experience. A couple of years ago I burned a large pile of brush on my rural property. The next day my glasses lenses had an odd crazed/"melted" appearance and vision was smeary. The frames were OK. I took them to the optometrist and sure enough I had melted the coating on the lens, even though the heat was not enough to burn me or affect the frames.

The take away is that the plastic lenses and/or coatings are very heat sensitive. So now I wear a face shield when I have to be close to heat and am careful to protect the glasses from being in hot sunlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 984 times
Default Yes... I have had the same issue.

I have worked in production all my life. And i have had a lot of prescription saftey glasses. The last 3 pair that i bought were polycarbonate and all of them did somthing that i have never seen a safety lense ever do. It started to CRACK. The first time it happened the place i bought them gave me some nonsense reason of "well we dont know what you do to you glasses"... The second pair they told me it must be from the high heat from me leaving them in my car. Well i just bought a brand new pair last week. When i woke up this morning i wiped them off before work and there wasnt a single scratch on them. Then i went to go on my lunch break and there was a CRACK!... NOT A SCRATCH NOT A SCUFF NOT A SCRAPE!....A CRACK! How is this possible? Im quite sure im getting robbed! How is the most expensive and "safest. Durables, top of the line" lense completely failed me? Not one... Not twice.... But 3 times now. Im out of odds and the benefit of the dought is long gone...... ****ERY IS AFOOT AND IM SSURE OF IT....... AM I ALONE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness