Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Congrats to all of you who have quit smoking!! Hubby and I have a RX for the patch and will be trying that starting Monday. We tried the Chantix and we both stayed sick and had to stop taking that, so hoping the patches do the trick. Our insurance company has stated that started Jan 1 2012 if you smoke you pay higher premiums ( however, they will not pay anything on RX to quit smoking)....my question is..if the patches do not work and we do the E cigs is that still considered smoking?? I know that we will have to do some kind of test for nicotine , will the E cigs show up as nicotine on blood work? Hubby and I have smoked for over 20 years, so I know it's not gonna be easy but if we slip can we smoke the E cig while wearing the patches?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question...but want to get our facts straight!! I am actually kinda excited about quitting and have already started figuring out what to do with the money we save..LOL!! (Hubby on the other hand is not that excited.)
Thanks for your input!!
the patches WILL work, but some of it is up to you. you need more tools to help you cope than just a patch. remember the patch releases nicotine, sometimes if you smoke more than the patch has nicotine you will feel a twinge of withdrawal. hang tight though a craving. they last a minute or so. have a start a peak and an end. there are several forums on line which offer great help, along with other people who are quitting or have quit. they will help. one is on the "about" dot com site.

as to the E cig, why bother to put your money into the e cig's pocket instead of your own. if you are going through the trouble to quit, so it.
good luck it can be done. I smoked for well over 20 p;us years and smoked at least 2 packs a day. you can get free and it is the best feeling not to be hooked on that crap. pm me if you can't find the support forum sites. good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 01:35 PM

188 posts, read 974,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the patches WILL work, but some of it is up to you. you need more tools to help you cope than just a patch. remember the patch releases nicotine, sometimes if you smoke more than the patch has nicotine you will feel a twinge of withdrawal. hang tight though a craving. they last a minute or so. have a start a peak and an end. there are several forums on line which offer great help, along with other people who are quitting or have quit. they will help. one is on the "about" dot com site.

as to the E cig, why bother to put your money into the e cig's pocket instead of your own. if you are going through the trouble to quit, so it.
good luck it can be done. I smoked for well over 20 p;us years and smoked at least 2 packs a day. you can get free and it is the best feeling not to be hooked on that crap. pm me if you can't find the support forum sites. good luck
Thanks for the advice..yeah I know it's gonna be tough. I quit 2 years ago on the patch ( Wal-Mart brand)...I made everyone else go outside to smoke..put all ashtrays away..did really good (for about 2 weeks.) Until I would look outside and there everyone sit while I was sitting in the house by myself!! So this time..If I quit..everybody quits... Just wish insurance would help pay on the RX. Oh well....at least we will save some money !!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Congrats to all of you who have quit smoking!! Hubby and I have a RX for the patch and will be trying that starting Monday. We tried the Chantix and we both stayed sick and had to stop taking that, so hoping the patches do the trick. Our insurance company has stated that started Jan 1 2012 if you smoke you pay higher premiums ( however, they will not pay anything on RX to quit smoking)....my question is..if the patches do not work and we do the E cigs is that still considered smoking?? I know that we will have to do some kind of test for nicotine , will the E cigs show up as nicotine on blood work? Hubby and I have smoked for over 20 years, so I know it's not gonna be easy but if we slip can we smoke the E cig while wearing the patches?? Sorry if that sounds like a stupid question...but want to get our facts straight!! I am actually kinda excited about quitting and have already started figuring out what to do with the money we save..LOL!! (Hubby on the other hand is not that excited.)
Thanks for your input!!
If they are testing you for nicotine and you have added nicotine to your e-cig juice you will test positive. Though this is not fair, nicotine is not the problem in cigarettes; the other 4,000+ chemicals added to tobacco are the problem but you'd be better off asking the organization doing the testing specifics regarding the test. This country is test crazy; we are going broke but we keep on testing.

One year smoke free is a non-smoker.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice..yeah I know it's gonna be tough. I quit 2 years ago on the patch ( Wal-Mart brand)...I made everyone else go outside to smoke..put all ashtrays away..did really good (for about 2 weeks.) Until I would look outside and there everyone sit while I was sitting in the house by myself!! So this time..If I quit..everybody quits... Just wish insurance would help pay on the RX. Oh well....at least we will save some money !!
part of it is retraining our junkie brain. we fall into the trap too, of thinking we haven't smoked for a few weeks we "deserve" a smoke"
an addiction with lots of mind games to overcome. just keep busy, stay focused on the future and keep busy. one day soon, it will all be behind you and you will be free of it.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If they are testing you for nicotine and you have added nicotine to your e-cig juice you will test positive. Though this is not fair, nicotine is not the problem in cigarettes; the other 4,000+ chemicals added to tobacco are the problem but you'd be better off asking the organization doing the testing specifics regarding the test. This country is test crazy; we are going broke but we keep on testing.

One year smoke free is a non-smoker.
nicotine is addictive even if you weren't getting it from smoking. it is one of the problems with cigarettes. yes they add other things that cause cancer but the nicotine is what makes the smoke so addictive. an overdose of nicotine can kill you.
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-24-2011, 01:21 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,769 times
Default Electronic Cigs

Don't smoke, except very occasionally - Just wondering what does everyone think of E Cigs - Are they reasonably safe? Just a vapour - much like a nicotine Gum.

They seem a good alternative, and don't make you smelly, and there are little or none of the chemicals in normal cigarettes.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:56 PM

I've been smoke free for over a year thanks to ecigs. Not sure if/when I will give it up but I'm no longer a smoker. I've participated in many threads about this in the forum here; why don't you read through them?

Old 12-24-2011, 04:56 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
What would give me pause is, as far as I know, they're all made in China. So I wouldn't trust that there aren't harmful chemicals.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:31 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
You'll just be trading one set of dangerous chemicals for another. You might as well stay with real cigarettes.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
What would give me pause is, as far as I know, they're all made in China. So I wouldn't trust that there aren't harmful chemicals.
I bet you buy products made in China everyday! While many are made overseas US production is underway now as well. If you smoke cigarettes, what is the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
You'll just be trading one set of dangerous chemicals for another. You might as well stay with real cigarettes.
Do you have some links to backup your statement? Don't knock something you haven't researched and tried!

There are thousands of people that have been using ecigs and liquid for years with no adverse effects. Now they could have kept smoking cigarettes which we know kills but they choose something that appears to be safer. Mind you that since these are new products to the USA there is no government entity claiming they are safe but with thousands using them with no ill effects I'm willing to take the chance. If you've ever sucked on a ventolin inhaler, this is quite similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness