Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 04:06 AM

36,991 posts, read 41,010,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Okay, first and foremost I am not an avid smoker. Actually, I hardly smoke. Once in a blue I'll have some merlot and a Cuban cigar or I'll buy a pack of Djarum Blacks. I'll buy a pack a cigarettes once in a blue and it'll last me a long time. LONG time. When I saw long, I am talking about forgetting I have cigs sometimes. I can make a pack last at least 2-3 months. I have finished a pack in 3 weeks but that's probably the fastest I've smoke a pack.

I do enjoy smoking mostly when I am writing, since it just sort of calms my nerves for whatever reason. Socially, it helps me once in a while as well. Other than I am not a smoker but recently I am getting tired of the smell of cigarettes and I hate the taste it leaves in my mouth afterwards. It certainly doesn't help with the ladies. And of course, we all know, its absolutely no good for your health and I'm quite fanatical about my health.

Besides simply dropping the cigs, I was thinking of doing something lesser in E-cigarettes (E-cigs for short). I tried it a few times (puffs) and enjoyed the taste and sensation but I had my own pack or know anyone who can really give me concrete thoughts on them.

Since I'm not addicted to regular cigs, and can do perfectly fine without them, I'm thinking E-cigs can do the job for me. Doesn't leave a nasty smell, its not exactly healthy but I am assuming its a better alternative than regular cigs (unless some research study claims otherwise) and its vapor, so it won't stain or make my teeth yellow.

Anyone can give me any insight? Info? Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks.
You are not a fanatic about your health if you smoke and are trying to rationalize about continuing to do so.

FDA Warns of Health Risks Posed by E-Cigarettes

USPharmacist.com > A Profile of Electronic Cigarettes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 AM

6,892 posts, read 22,456,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are not a fanatic about your health if you smoke and are trying to rationalize about continuing to do so.

FDA Warns of Health Risks Posed by E-Cigarettes

USPharmacist.com > A Profile of Electronic Cigarettes
Your first link is over 3-years old. At least find some current information on them if you are going to post on something you know nothing about. In those 3-years, the FDA has done nothing to stop the sale of the liquid that the article claims contains carcinogens. What does that tell you? They haven't found a risk great enough to ban them! We all know that when a risk is identified on a product that FDA does not waste any time banning and recalling products.

Quote:
One sample was found to contain diethylene glycol, a toxic chemical used in antifreeze. Several other samples were found to contain carcinogens, including nitrosamines.
Most smokers (many now former smokers) switched to e-cigs because they contain far fewer chemicals than manufactured cigarettes. Most users report improved health after giving up manufactured cigarettes and switching to e-cigs. In a test while I smoked manufactured cigarettes, I took a drag off my cigarette and cupped my hand over my nose and mouth and exhaled the smoke. What do you think happened? Cough, cough, eye irritation, yuck. Why anyone would want to inhale that is now beyond me. Next, I took a drag off my e-cigarette and cupped my hand over my nose and mouth, again, and exhaled the smoke. I experienced no irritation at all! This was enough to convince me to switch to the e-cigarette.

For anyone interested in finding out more on this you can visit E-Cigarette Forum

Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Your first link is over 3-years old. At least find some current information on them if you are going to post on something you know nothing about. In those 3-years, the FDA has done nothing to stop the sale of the liquid that the article claims contains carcinogens. What does that tell you? They haven't found a risk great enough to ban them! We all know that when a risk is identified on a product that FDA does not waste any time banning and recalling products.

Most smokers (many now former smokers) switched to e-cigs because they contain far fewer chemicals than manufactured cigarettes. Most users report improved health after giving up manufactured cigarettes and switching to e-cigs. In a test while I smoked manufactured cigarettes, I took a drag off my cigarette and cupped my hand over my nose and mouth and exhaled the smoke. What do you think happened? Cough, cough, eye irritation, yuck. Why anyone would want to inhale that is now beyond me. Next, I took a drag off my e-cigarette and cupped my hand over my nose and mouth, again, and exhaled the smoke. I experienced no irritation at all! This was enough to convince me to switch to the e-cigarette.

For anyone interested in finding out more on this you can visit E-Cigarette Forum
The Effects Of Nicotine On The Cardiovascular System | LIVESTRONG.COM

Short-term pulmonary effects of using an electronic ci... [Chest. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

European Respiratory Society statement on E-cigarettes and emerging products |

Although electronic cigarettes may reduce exposure to the myriad toxins in smoke from real tobacco, it is still nicotine, which has its own adverse effects.

The OP is a light smoker. The best thing would be for him not to smoke at all. That includes e-cigarettes.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Then there is this ...

Electric Cigarette Explodes in Fla. Man's Face - ABC News

Electronic cigarette explodes in Muskogee woman's hand - FOX23 News

I have seen no confirmation that the defective products were altered by the user, although that seems to be common. If so, it still does not bode well for the safety of the actual device. Why do users feel the need to tinker?

It also appears the products are all made in China.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM

22 posts, read 60,294 times
There are more recent studies about health and use of the E-cig please see Lab Reports: ecigarettes
and Links: Science/Med which contains studies from other countries as well.

As for Tom, the Florida gentleman, I have spoken to him and gotten the fire chief's report, this accident was a result of misusing camera batteries in cylinder type e-cig (commonly referred to as a mod for modified)
Batteries can, have and do explode, melt, catch on fire or over heat...look at ANY battery the warning is written on the them.

We are about tobacco harm reduction, pure and simple. Once the FDA and others find a way to reap their cash from this cow it will become a new friend - Yesterday was my vapeversary and I have nothing but positive experiences and many friends with the same. I don't understand the distrust other than completely understanding the available information and 100's of thousands of peoples experiences using them.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astichateau View Post
Batteries can, have and do explode, melt, catch on fire or over heat...look at ANY battery the warning is written on the them.
So perhaps it's not a good idea to put any battery in one's mouth!

The electronic cigarette may not be as bad as a traditional cigarette.

That does not mean it has no health risk at all. It's still nicotine.

Lital says he is "fanatical" about his health. If so, why continue to use nicotine in any form?

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Electric Cigarette Explodes in Fla. Man's Face - ABC News

Electronic cigarette explodes in Muskogee woman's hand - FOX23 News

I have seen no confirmation that the defective products were altered by the user, although that seems to be common. If so, it still does not bode well for the safety of the actual device. Why do users feel the need to tinker?

It also appears the products are all made in China.
The woman in Muskogee, if you look at the comments at the link, supposedly has admitted the device did not explode.

And the Florida gentleman was misusing a modified battery setup on his e-cig.

Your links don't show what you want them to show!

Quote:
So perhaps it's not a good idea to put any battery in one's mouth!

The electronic cigarette may not be as bad as a traditional cigarette.

That does not mean it has no health risk at all. It's still nicotine.

Lital says he is "fanatical" about his health. If so, why continue to use nicotine in any form?
Hello? Have you used an electric toothbrush lately? Lots of people do it several times a day. Nothing different about smoking an electronic cigarette powered by a battery. Should we all stop brushing our teeth now?

Old 10-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
The woman in Muskogee, if you look at the comments at the link, supposedly has admitted the device did not explode.

And the Florida gentleman was misusing a modified battery setup on his e-cig.

Your links don't show what you want them to show!

Hello? Have you used an electric toothbrush lately? Lots of people do it several times a day. Nothing different about smoking an electronic cigarette powered by a battery. Should we all stop brushing our teeth now?
If the second link was a fraud, I apologize.

If the product predisposes to misuse, then that makes it unsafe.

I do not put the handle of my toothbrush in my mouth. Do You?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
If the second link was a fraud, I apologize.

If the product predisposes to misuse, then that makes it unsafe.

I do not put the handle of my toothbrush in my mouth. Do You?
No I do not. You make it sound like we e-cig smokers are eating our batteries and I can assure you that we are not. So why is it okay on your toothbrush but not my electronic cigarette? The battery on my e-cig is in the same spot as it would be on a toothbrush! As I said earlier if the FDA had found a risk with e-cigs they would have issued a recall and banned them. But they haven't. Enough said!

Smokers take on risk with every cigarette they light. You'd think people would be overjoyed that we have found a way to smoke without the mess and smell. If you are a non-smoker there is no reason for you to worry about us.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM

22 posts, read 60,294 times
There has been 4 or 5 problems, issues or hiccups with e-cigs since their inception, the first patent dates back to 1887 (us373374) and over the years they have evolved and other items have been created off the original conceptual idea, inhalers and pharma / FDA approved devices. That is an exceptional track record!
Accurate study information is available at several links already posted here's another Informahealthcare
The level of nicotine in a single cigarette is vastly different than e-liquid and there is no residue or "second hand vaping"

Imagine the inventor of that electric toothbrush thinking of how to present that idea - how many people thought it was crazy and risky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness