Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

I don't use atomizers/cartridges anymore! I've been using cartomizers for about a year now. A cartomizer combines the atomizer and cartridge into a one piece unit. They last me about a week and are disposable but some claim to resurrect them by cleaning/boiling them but I just toss them when they wear out. I get 5 for about $8 here iVAPE.

I was a 2-pack a day smoker so my cost was much higher than yours and I had to find a way to cut that cost. But it's not only the cost of the cigarettes, its the smell (I'm looking for a job) and the health benefits too! I used to live in Chicago where the cost of cigarettes is easily double what they are where I live now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Yes, I was buying my cigarettes from Missouri for about 33 bucks a carton for the Marlboro Special Blends, and was smoking 12 to 15 a day. So I was only spending a little over 2 bucks a day on my smoking habit. I have found that the E-cig habit costs me about the same, however, the prices of the e-liquid at the link you posted, is much cheaper than what I have been paying for my E-liquid. I plan to give them a try, especially since they are an American Company. I'm very impressed that they sell 5 gallon containers of E-juice.......lol. I use about 10ml every 5 or 6 days, so if I bought 5 gallons, that would last me 26 years.

The other costs for E-cigs, are the batteries if you need to be mobile, the atomizers, and blank cartridges. Good atomizers cost around 6 bucks each and last me about 2 weeks. Half of the dead ones will come back to life if you boil them in distilled water. I use the DSE-901 and parts for that model, but I save alot by using my E-cig at home with USB powered units that have a cord. I found that after a month or so, the cord likes to break at the tip where it comes out of the device, as the cord will always develope a sharp bend at that point. To fix this problem, I wrap black electrical tape around the end of the device and onto the first few inches of cord, this prevents the cord from ever getting a sharp bend at that weak point, and the insulation will not crack and break apart anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Just wondering how many vapers there are here.
Me, my husband (occasionally), my mother (occasionally--and her emphysematic coughing returns EVERY time she goes back to cigarettes), and my daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
As a long term pipe smoker the very concept of a "e-ciggie" is just so very wrong! (and I despise cigarettes !! )

If yer gonna use tobacco then use it as you please but don't settle for a device that mimics the real thing.
It isn't tobacco. It's vaporized propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin, flavoring, and optional nicotine, extracted from tobacco.

Pardon me, but what difference does it make to you and your life if someone chooses to vape (which you don't do) as opposed to smoking cigarettes (which you adamantly don't do)?

Enjoy your pipe.

Quote:
Hell, that's like drinking good Jack Daniels Premium Fine Sippin' whiskey diluted with tap water out of a leaky paper cup !
Oh. Stop. I'm rolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I don't use atomizers/cartridges anymore! I've been using cartomizers for about a year now. A cartomizer combines the atomizer and cartridge into a one piece unit. They last me about a week and are disposable but some claim to resurrect them by cleaning/boiling them but I just toss them when they wear out. I get 5 for about $8 here iVAPE.

I was a 2-pack a day smoker so my cost was much higher than yours and I had to find a way to cut that cost. But it's not only the cost of the cigarettes, its the smell (I'm looking for a job) and the health benefits too! I used to live in Chicago where the cost of cigarettes is easily double what they are where I live now.
I gave up on atomizers a looooong time ago. Persnickety, inconsistent manufacturing, and LEAKY. I first switched to regular 501 cartos, have been using DCHV 1.5 (Dual Coil Heavy Vapor) cartos for the last few months now. Totally awesome. Used with standard eGo batteries and an aluminum drip tip, it mimics a higher-voltage battery mod. Makes all my ejuices taste better, and they last quite a long time with clear ones in particular. A little more pricey, but my average monthly expenses are still under $30/mo. Still makes me smile when I think what I used to spend on cigarettes (>$300/mo), trips to the doctor/ER for bronchitis and shortness of breath, and inhalers.

My original 3 eGo batteries finally died last month after 18+ months of cycled use (rated for 6 mos each), now on my 2nd set that I purchased the first year of vaping.

My advice: stock up when you can on batteries, cartos, drip tips, and keep about a 3-month stock of ejuice on hand, especially if your supplier has discounts on larger quantities (ie, 3x30mL bottles for $46, like Velvet Vapors). I've found that flavors depreciate after 6 mos or so, and some are severely compromised by heat and/or cold.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 03-26-2012 at 11:51 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
As a long term pipe smoker the very concept of a "e-ciggie" is just so very wrong! (and I despise cigarettes !! )

If yer gonna use tobacco then use it as you please but don't settle for a device that mimics the real thing.

Hell, that's like drinking good Jack Daniels Premium Fine Sippin' whiskey diluted with tap water out of a leaky paper cup !
I have a beautiful hand made electric pipe, but still love the smell of pipe tobacco.

A couple of questions for everyone here who vapes...

1) What device do you use most, and what devices do you own?

2) atomizer or carto

3) Favorite liquid.

My answers...
1) I have a GLV mini, several Ego types, a fist pack, a pipe, and a Apex ultra.
2) Cartos mostly.
3)Deej stuff, Tiramisu, English toffee, and strawberry cheesecake.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM

I started with a Joye 510 starter kit and quickly switched to Ego batteries. I found atomizers/cartridges to be a pita and ordered some cartomizers after much research. I don't have the money to try things so I keep buying open stock batteries every few months. I tried about 12 different juice flavors from several different places then I found USA Made Vapor Renu : Electronic Cigarettes Refill Cartridges : Candy Flavorings : E Cig Liquid Nicotine : Cartomizer Refills : Menthol E-Liquid : Flavoring Oils : E Cigarette Refills, cheap juice, and have been vaping wintergreen exclusively from this supplier. Money was always an issue in the "smoking" game I played and I've reduced my cost to vape to under $40/month. A carton of Marlboro's are now near $50 where I live and at 2-packs a day that cost was increasing.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
I have a beautiful hand made electric pipe, but still love the smell of pipe tobacco.

2) atomizer or carto

3) Favorite liquid.

My answers...
2) Cartos mostly.
1) I only own the Joye eGo, was never interested in the large battery mods (although I almost considered a GLV at one point), especially with the (albeit rare) stories of battery volatility. I have 650 mAh, 900 mAh, and 1000 mAh batteries, and skipped the silly 'cone' attachment once I happened upon cartos.

2) Started out (like most of us do) with the cartridge/atomizer setup, HATED IT, went to direct dripping on the atty, finally using cartos now exclusively.

3) My all-day vape has been Velvet Vapors Organic Peppermint, VG base, 18 mg/mL strength. It is crystal clear, which means the average carto can last up to a week. My stash, which I only rarely delve into now for a change of pace, has a few other past favorites, including Velvet Vapors Bear Claw, Butter Pecan, Waffle, and French Toast. They're delicious, but the darkness of the juice (caramel color, probably) fouls cartos very quickly, and I try to be frugal with my gear. Her Blueberry and Chocolate are horrific and perfumey. I used to have a few I liked from Ms. T's Bakery, but she has PG in her custom base (worsens my lung function) and appalling customer service (she refuses to hire staff to help, therefore orders take weeks to arrive, and she does not stand behind her product like many other vendors do). FWIW, her Raspberry, Strawberry, and Peppermint Hot Chocolate are aMAZing.

My old juice graveyard and tackle box for small bottles and gear:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p76/womanskornd/IMG00567.jpg (broken link)

Quite a few have lost their 'oomph' over time, others just no longer appeal to me...the ever-changing vaper's palate, I suppose.

Last edited by rayneinspain; 03-27-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-27-2012, 05:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
Quote:

2) atomizer or carto

3) Favorite liquid.

My answers...
2) Cartos mostly.

I've only been vaping for about 6 months, I chose the 901 as it was advertised as a good starter model with a long track record. It uses the 901 type atomizers, and have read the SLB brand of atomizers are the best, so I stick with those. I've had other atomizers, and some SLB ones too, that sold for around $4 each, that leaked or sometimes burnt out within a few days. The more expensive $6 ones I order from an American company seem to be consistantly better, and under heavy use, last a minimum of 2 weeks, sometimes 3. I realize they probably come from China, as the SLB brand is from China, but they seem to be of better quality and the cartridge fits tight so they don't leak. I don't mind filling the blank cartridges with e-juice and plugging them into the atomizer, the blank cats are only 5 for a dollar so no biggie there, and it gives me something to do with my hands.

I like the 901 USB powered devices and use them for 95% of the vaping I do. I bought some cheap AC-USB adapters for 3 bucks each, so I can use extention cord to get it closer to me, as the USB cords are only about 3 feet long. I line up 2 devices so my thumb can hit both hit buttons at the same time, then tape them together as I described in my earlier post to protect the cord from sharp bends. I get a REAL decent hit off them when I use two of them together like that. I also have a couple cheap 280mah batteries that I use on the go, when it is necessary. I don't like buying batteries so I use them as little as possible. They only last a couple hours or so before they need recharged, but are still holding up OK after a couple months of light use.

I like the full strength 36mg E-liquid, but don't like the tobacco flavored liquid. I quit tobacco and want the taste of something different. I like more traditional flavors, such as peach, apple, cherry, butterscotch, rootbeer, coffee, pure flavors, not mixed blends. I like being able to take in all the nicotine I want, just like when I was a young 2 pack a day smoker, before I had to "cut down" in the last 5 years of my smoking habit, for health and price reasons.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:06 PM

15 posts, read 31,900 times
Default E Cigarette

Can anybody recommend a good brand of E Cigarette, i want to ween myself off of nicotine,
How easy is the process, ive only been smoking for about 4 years?

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM

It's as easy as you make it. I've been an e-smoker since Sept 2010. I use Joye Ego batteries with cartomizers. If you want the easy route you should do the same. There is another thread about them; I've posted numerous links there. http://www.city-data.com/forum/healt...igarettes.html

Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM

15 posts, read 31,900 times
Yeah im doing youtube research right now, I thought blu was the way to go but it seems to be getting alot of negative reviews
Looking at Volcano too,

Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 AM

If you go the way I told you you will need a drip tip. Cartomizers and atomizers get hot, if a tip isn't included you'll soon burn your lips! I researched for months while I rolled-my-own cigs and when I had the money I bought wisely. I'm still using my original batteries, now 19 months old. Granted, they don't last very long these days, but as long as they charge I'll keep them in my rotation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness