Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times

Advertisements

My dh has used his e-cig indoors at restaurants, and in our home.

Some people come by and ask him about it - it has a blue light on the end, so only a moron would mistake it for a real cigarette.

One woman starting coughing & choking recently when we were standing outside in a line and dh was using it. Her husband made some loud comment that his wife was allergic to smoke and that "some people have no consideration for others". I loudly commented back something like, "I wonder who he's talking about. It can't be you because you're only exhaling water vapor, not smoke."

I've known several folks with alleged "smoke/cigarette allergies" - and caught all of them faking in one form or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,864 times
Talking Switched to electronic cigarettes

Smoked for over 30 years. Never thought I would ever quit smoking
Wish they invented this along time ago.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Congratulations! I know how hard it is to quit as I was also a long term smoker myself. It actually took me about five years of stop & go until I finally stopped for good. My only concern for you is the even with the electronic cigarettes you are still reenforcing your smoking habit. Trust me I had so many backslides I consider myself an expert in the field. I suggest you consider ending the electronic cigarettes in a time span that you are comfortable with.
There is not anything a person can do for their health more important than ending a smoking habit.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:35 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Johnson View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!! I, too, smoked for about 30 years and switched to vaping the day my ecig arrived in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Congratulations! I know how hard it is to quit as I was also a long term smoker myself. It actually took me about five years of stop & go until I finally stopped for good. My only concern for you is the even with the electronic cigarettes you are still reenforcing your smoking habit. Trust me I had so many backslides I consider myself an expert in the field. I suggest you consider ending the electronic cigarettes in a time span that you are comfortable with.
There is not anything a person can do for their health more important than ending a smoking habit.
I'm sorry, but your reply and response is unfortunately a typical one by nonsmokers. For some reason they don't understand vaping/ecigs, nor do they wish to. Even though the evidence is abundant and clear that nicotine has a similar effect on the body (and a comparable health risk) as caffeine, the fact that we don't quit nicotine cold turkey (or with Chantix, or with hypnosis, or whatever) seems to irk them. There are many studies available on the web that support the ecig as a safe, reduced harm product (eg, the New Zealand dept of health study).

Electronic cigarettes are a reduced harm nicotine product with minimal to no side effects for most users. Most, like me, noticed improved health within a very short time of switching. For the record, I have not experienced any 'backslides'; in fact, after vaping for less than a week, one mouth hit of a regular cigarette made me gag. Quite a few vapers have had the same experience and feel no urge to go back to tobacco. At any rate, many of us simply enjoy nicotine and have no desire to stop, we just don't wish to continue the detrimental effects of combustion on our bodies.

The danger is in the products of combustion, not the nicotine.

There are some people who vape zero-nicotine eliquids, while others slowly reduce their nicotine intake. Others still have no plans to reduce their nicotine, and they are none the worse for wear. In the 15 months I have used ecigs (from a 2-pack/day habit for almost 31 years), the only time I use an inhaler is when exposed to seasonal allergens, on average maybe one use every 3-4 mos so far. Prior to the ecig, I was using my inhaler 4 times a day, every day. My lung function has improved immensely, as has my blood pressure and migraines.

My physician considers me a nonsmoker and is fully supportive of my use of the product. Even one of the local ER docs asked for literature to hand out to patients.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM

356 posts, read 829,930 times
Congratulations!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I'm sorry, but your reply and response is unfortunately a typical one by nonsmokers. For some reason they don't understand vaping/ecigs, nor do they wish to. Even though the evidence is abundant and clear that nicotine has a similar effect on the body (and a comparable health risk) as caffeine, the fact that we don't quit nicotine cold turkey (or with Chantix, or with hypnosis, or whatever) seems to irk them. There are many studies available on the web that support the ecig as a safe, reduced harm product (eg, the New Zealand dept of health study).

Electronic cigarettes are a reduced harm nicotine product with minimal to no side effects for most users. Most, like me, noticed improved health within a very short time of switching. For the record, I have not experienced any 'backslides'; in fact, after vaping for less than a week, one mouth hit of a regular cigarette made me gag. Quite a few vapers have had the same experience and feel no urge to go back to tobacco. At any rate, many of us simply enjoy nicotine and have no desire to stop, we just don't wish to continue the detrimental effects of combustion on our bodies.

The danger is in the products of combustion, not the nicotine.

There are some people who vape zero-nicotine eliquids, while others slowly reduce their nicotine intake. Others still have no plans to reduce their nicotine, and they are none the worse for wear. In the 15 months I have used ecigs (from a 2-pack/day habit for almost 31 years), the only time I use an inhaler is when exposed to seasonal allergens, on average maybe one use every 3-4 mos so far. Prior to the ecig, I was using my inhaler 4 times a day, every day. My lung function has improved immensely, as has my blood pressure and migraines.

My physician considers me a nonsmoker and is fully supportive of my use of the product. Even one of the local ER docs asked for literature to hand out to patients.

Give it time. There is a losing position here for ETS proponents. If this is not harmful, then they have to admit that nicotine is not a dangerous element in ETS. If such is admitted, then they have to rely on the chemical components of ETS outside of such, when brings in conflicts with many other elements and exposure being claimed just as harmful (cooking smoke of any kind, cleaning residuals in the air, cologne and perfume, etc....) and that will eliminate their argument.

They will find reason to ban this as well. It never was about harm, it was about dictation and demand.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Johnson View Post
Well good. I had asked on another thread about smoking what anyone thought of electronic cigarettes and the last time I checked, no one had answered. I will be glued to this thread.

My sister has decided that she wants to "do something" for me and asked if I would like it if she got me some. Hells yah!

I just have no idea what to get, what brand is the best, what level, what to do...there's so many out there that it's confusing.

My mechanic was sucking on one the other day and he told me about his. Says he hadn't smoke a "real" cigarette in two weeks. His wife had quit for months using the thing.

Plus, one of my jobs, I have to go stand in a fricken field like cattle to smoke. So, maybe an e-cig would be good.

Just...what kind to get?!

Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
I have faced a similar situation in my life. I have been a nicotine addict for 45 years. I the last 22 years I have only smoked for 5 out of the 22. The rest of the time I chewed nicotine gum. I'm just about to quit smoking again and maybe I'll try the E cig this time!

Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
rayneinspain,

Your post makes it clear that you understand little about addiction. Smoking is an addiction. The drug of course is nicotine but the mechanics of going through the motion of smoking is a very addictive habit in itself. If one truly wishes to end the smoking habit then not only must they stop ingesting nicotine but also stop the habit of lighting up and the act of puffing a device and watching the smoke. This ritual is mentally as addictive as the chemical addiction of smoking.

Using a device or medication to help break the nicotine habit is fine, but if you are on nicotine patches for five years then you have not beaten the habit. This goes for electronic cigarettes too. If my manage to break the nicotine habit but still lean on other devices then sooner or later you will go back to your old habit of smoking cigarettes.

The single most important thing you can do for your health is to stop smoking.

BTW, I am an ex-smoker. Been there, done that.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
Mod: moved from Green Living forum, more appropriate topic for Health & Wellness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness