Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I can imagine that an e-cig is great for accommodating the hand-to-mouth fixation that's so hard to satisfy whilst in the process of quitting smoking, but e-cigs, in my expereience, aren't the greatest option for those of us who just want "healthier"/cheaper ways to smoke (or to simply smoke tobacco less often). For me, they just don't have a "bite" that's adequately equivalent to a full-flavor filtered cigarette.
If you're buying them in the gas station or grocery store you're not going to get a "bite"; those aren't strong enough. Now you can go online and find some that are stronger but you have to figure out what your combination is. It is a lot to study; I spent 6 mos. deciding what my first purchase would be. Could this bite you talk of be what is known as throat hit? Different combinations in the liquid and to some extent the hardware can increase that and if there isn't enough vapor changes can fix that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times
seems like an awful amount of unneccesary work (and time and money) to continue to be an addict.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:15 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
I smoked e-cigs in 2011, went back to regular cigs, and now want to go back to e-cigs. The terminology is what makes it hard for newbies. Never did understand all the talk about ohms or ah. Bigger is not better from my experience. Coughing while learning to draw from e-cigs is normal, it takes some getting used to. Hold it parallel to the ground, and slowly draw in, steady, pressing on the manual button. Manuals are best imo.
The mg of the juice will affect your throat hit, and your cough response. Lower doses like 11-15mg might be good to start with - I tend to stay with 18 to 24 range. Flavors are entirely personal preferrence. I like coffee flavors, some menthols are okay. Even if you don't smoke menthol cigs, they can be pleasant in an e-cig. What you will be doing is searching for what they call an all-day vape, something that you can enjoy all day, every day. Lots of competition out there!
I am going to recommend a product for beginners because this is what got me started, and they are still my preference. The basic Tital 510 or you can go with the Titan Tank starter kit. Get a couple drip tips, and forget all the cartomizer accessory stuff, for now. Direct drip right onto the coils of the "atomizer", and smoke away. If you don't like the flavor, take the atomizer off, blow it out into a kleenex, and try another flavor.
When the light blinks, put it on the charger until you see a green light.
I get these from Totally Wicked. (I do not happen to like their juices, so am not necessarily recommending those.)

Keep it simple. All the jargon is very confusing.
Lots of youtube videos available that can be helpful. My point is an attempt to save you some money, you can spend a boatload before you find what you like.
Happy vaping. For me, these things are a life saver.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Why do you need and want it so much?
Somehow I get the impression there is no answer to your question that will be satisfactory.

Nicotine acts on the body in two ways: it increases alertness while also producing a calming effect. It can also be beneficial to some sufferers of depression, ADD, and ulcerative colitis.

The physical act of smoking (or vaping) can also be calming to some people. For others, it's a distraction from eating or other behaviors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384
seems like an awful amount of unneccesary work (and time and money) to continue to be an addict.
Aw, such quasi-realistic concern.

Less money by a longshot (to the tune of $260/mo in savings). Less mess (the occasional paper towel for juice drips vs. ashes and ashtrays to clean and dry cleaning for smoke odor). Maybe a little more work (filling cartomizers, swapping batteries), but I truly couldn't care less. My blood pressure is now in the healthy range, my lungs are still functioning better than they have in years (and still no annual bronchitis), and my physician still considers me a former smoker.

I smile every time I work on an inpatient chart and note an MD order for an electronic cigarette for their patient (or when they give the go-ahead allowing them to use their own in their hospital room).

It's a win, and a big win at that, for people who choose to vape.

Sometimes you just have to live and let live.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks Ray. Do you mean they'll bring you one in the hospital (like they'd bring your meds)? I was vaping at the rehab facility my Dad was at recently and was told to stop. I agreed but tried to show that I wasn't really smoking...it's what she perceived because of the vapor. She did seem half interested but I did put it in my pocket anyway.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo384 View Post
Smoking cigarettes is a lot of unnecessary work too. Burning things, leaving ash anywhere inconvenient, dumping ashtrays, not having a lighter! Smoking cigarettes can be very frustrating for hubby sometimes! I actually think I spend less time making sure my e-cig works than I did making sure I could smoke a cigarette.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:52 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Thanks Ray. Do you mean they'll bring you one in the hospital (like they'd bring your meds)? I was vaping at the rehab facility my Dad was at recently and was told to stop. I agreed but tried to show that I wasn't really smoking...it's what she perceived because of the vapor. She did seem half interested but I did put it in my pocket anyway.
The way these MD orders were written led me to believe the hospital kept a supply of disposable ecigs for patients who either could not/would not use a nicotine patch and who also could not be allowed off the floor to smoke outside. On several other charts there were orders to other MDs and nurses stating the patients were approved to use their own ecig devices in their rooms.

Nothing irks medical staff more than telling a patient who smokes to stop (or remain inside), only to find out that the patient was caught -- strapped to an IV -- smoking outside (or in the bathroom). If physicians at this particular hospital were finding any adverse reactions from vaping, they would most definitely not be advocating/allowing their use...especially on cardiac cases!

This is HUGE.

--Rayne

Old 12-30-2012, 07:34 AM

12 posts, read 15,738 times
I tried but as i know that even electric cigrette is not good for health so i quit totally

Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
If you're buying them in the gas station or grocery store you're not going to get a "bite"; those aren't strong enough. Now you can go online and find some that are stronger but you have to figure out what your combination is. It is a lot to study; I spent 6 mos. deciding what my first purchase would be. Could this bite you talk of be what is known as throat hit? Different combinations in the liquid and to some extent the hardware can increase that and if there isn't enough vapor changes can fix that too.
I purchased one back in 2009 from an online seller. It was a pretty neat little toy, but just didn't tackle my nicotine cravings, nor did it provide the "throat hit" you mention. It seemed to require very deep dragging just to acquire the same hit one might feel from, say, a standard light cigarette.

There could, I suppose, be much better models/brands available almost four years later, though. I'll have to look into it, as I would like to approach the endeavor of quitting completely.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 AM

490 posts, read 682,138 times
Default Quitting Smoking - Using e cigarretes

Hi all,

After 35 years of smoking I've decided it's now or never. So I just ordered a Volcano Inferno kit. I should get it in a couple of days.

Does anyone have experience of quitting smoking using one of these?

Your experiences and advice would be welcome.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness