Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times

Advertisements

I quit smoking one year ago with the assistance of e-cigarettes. I haven't smokes an e-cigarette for probably 9 months or so. I am completely 100% nicotine free and am happy. My wife still smokes. She has cut from a pack a day to 5 cigs a day and an e-cigarette. She is hoping to quit regular cigarettes by the end of the year.

They're a great stop smoking aid. And in my opinion, e-cigarettes are much easier to quit than a regular cigarette, making it a great stop smoking aid. They also save you a lot of money.

At any rate - anybody who blasts a smoker from switching to e-cigarettes is a fool. Get off your high horse.

I don't think anyone is arguing that nicotine is bad for you. I'll also guarantee that more people die or are injured from fires and burns caused by real cigarettes than e-cigarettes exploding, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:45 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I quit smoking one year ago with the assistance of e-cigarettes. I haven't smokes an e-cigarette for probably 9 months or so. I am completely 100% nicotine free and am happy. My wife still smokes. She has cut from a pack a day to 5 cigs a day and an e-cigarette. She is hoping to quit regular cigarettes by the end of the year.

They're a great stop smoking aid. And in my opinion, e-cigarettes are much easier to quit than a regular cigarette, making it a great stop smoking aid. They also save you a lot of money.

At any rate - anybody who blasts a smoker from switching to e-cigarettes is a fool. Get off your high horse.

I don't think anyone is arguing that nicotine is bad for you. I'll also guarantee that more people die or are injured from fires and burns caused by real cigarettes than e-cigarettes exploding, etc.

The original post was not about using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking. It was about using them as a continuing substitute for traditional cigarettes.

I have merely pointed out that that might not be a good idea.

Congratulations on becoming nicotine free! Your heart and blood vessels are very grateful, I'm sure.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The original post was not about using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking. It was about using them as a continuing substitute for traditional cigarettes.

I have merely pointed out that that might not be a good idea.

Congratulations on becoming nicotine free! Your heart and blood vessels are very grateful, I'm sure.
E-cigarette users who have given up cigarettes are not smokers.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:39 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
E-cigarette users who have given up cigarettes are not smokers.
Not sure what you mean here.

The original post was about switching from traditional cigarettes to e-cigarettes as a continuing way to use nicotine, not as a way to stop using it.

Ongoing use of e-cigarettes continues the nicotine addiction.

I would applaud anyone using them to quit nicotine altogether. However, that is not the topic of the original post.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:24 PM

22 posts, read 60,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Not sure what you mean here.

The original post was about switching from traditional cigarettes to e-cigarettes as a continuing way to use nicotine, not as a way to stop using it.

Ongoing use of e-cigarettes continues the nicotine addiction.

I would applaud anyone using them to quit nicotine altogether. However, that is not the topic of the original post.
Agreed, from the OP (original post) this thread has seg-wag'd a bit, while one can and hundreds have quit smoking using e-cigs others have indeed chosen to continue use in place of traditional tobacco.
The amount of nicotine used in e-cigs is paltry compared to cigarettes - Nicotine Levels in Electronic Cigarettes
so, technically the fiend isn't nicotine, its more the hand to mouth sensation in our heads, if that makes sense.
Precisely WHY the patch, gum, cold-turkey and pills won't work for most.
One can adjust the level of nicotine at any point in time, so those starting at one level can reduce over time to none then walk away if they choose~ no withdraw, irritation, ranting, over-eating or frenzied feelings

Old 12-21-2012, 03:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times
it's funny when electronic cigarette dealers try and twist words around from "quit smoking" to "start vaping". People who want to quit smoking want to quit EVERYTHING. If you don't, you are validating your own addiction, and a slave.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
There are smokers out there that don't want to quit. I was one of them; all I wanted was a healthier way to smoke. Maybe I'll deal with the nicotine habit later in life but for now I'm a non-smoker and for me that's enough now.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 60,420 times
Very true, quitting SMOKING is the first step, reducing your nic intake, if desired, is the second.
My son has done just that with e-cigs and keeps one around in-case of a relapse attack so he doesn't cave to buying a pack
I myself, like myrc60 have chosen to continue vaping ~ for me it truly is the hand-to-mouth fixation so it matters little if the nicotine is in the e-liquid or not.
For *most* vendors its all about helping someone getting off the cigarettes, if they quit vaping altogether, so be it.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
There are smokers out there that don't want to quit. I was one of them; all I wanted was a healthier way to smoke. Maybe I'll deal with the nicotine habit later in life but for now I'm a non-smoker and for me that's enough now.
Why do you need and want it so much?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
I can imagine that an e-cig is great for accommodating the hand-to-mouth fixation that's so hard to satisfy whilst in the process of quitting smoking, but e-cigs, in my expereience, aren't the greatest option for those of us who just want "healthier"/cheaper ways to smoke (or to simply smoke tobacco less often). For me, they just don't have a "bite" that's adequately equivalent to a full-flavor filtered cigarette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness