Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:15 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,065,599 times

Advertisements

Has anyone experienced a D&C with hysteroscopy with just local anesthesia and maybe a valium?

I have not met my deductable yet so I'm trying to avoid doing this in the hospital with anesthesia.

I figure if I can have it done at the docs office with just a local it would be a lot cheaper (just my copay plus any labs).

I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but a low tolerance for a big medical bill! Just wondering what I could expect physically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 04:30 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,285 times
Yes I have! I just took the Valium and then local down there. It was FINE. No severe pain,
which I was worried about. It wasnt even as bad as a mammo sometimes can be! This was just for
a D and C not the hysteroscopy.
Greenchili

Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
The local injection was a very sharp, very unpleasant pinch. Thankfully it didn't linger. I wasn't offered the option of a Valium or any other relaxant medications. The procedure itself was unpleasant, but not traumatic. A few hours later and it felt like I was experiencing just bad menstrual cramps. That lasted another hour or so. Had to use a sanitary napkin, no tampons for a couple of days, no sex for a couple of days.

I had to have one every 3 months for a year, following cone biopsy to remove severe cervical dysplasia (pre-cancerous cells).

Definitely not something you'd need general anasthesia for, but prepare for cramping and brief, but sharp pinching pain at the beginning of the procedure. It's a bit more intense than the pain of a pap smear but it's that "kind" of pain. Very quick, but repeated. Not lingering at all, and definitely endurable...but definitely also not pleasant.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
I had conscious sedation for mine, in a stand-alone facility. Still more expensive than in-office. I could not sit for 2 days - felt like I had "entertained" an entire NFL football team! Standing or lying down was fine.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I talked to my doc and she said it's not an option in her office. I just had an endometrial biopsy done last week and she said they believe there was a piece of a polyp in the tissue sample (everything was benign thankfully).

Now this changes from just a D&C to a possible polypectomy depending on what she sees with the hysteroscopy and that procedure can increase the risk for complications

I have only paid $136 towards my $1000 deductable so far...I guess this will at least take care of the deductable for the year, but sheesh!

I called my insurance company and they said that there's not really an option for bringing down the cost of the procedure below the remaining $864 difference I would need to pay out. You can only cut so many costs in the hospital I guess.

So frustrating! Of course dh's company just HAD to change insurance companies...otherwise on our old plan this would have been covered!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,012,522 times
I was knocked out for mine. Will never do that again because they had a hard time waking me up. recovery was a breeze, they sent me home with some pain pills and I felt like I was flying.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I was knocked out for mine. Will never do that again because they had a hard time waking me up. recovery was a breeze, they sent me home with some pain pills and I felt like I was flying.
Oh I definitely do NOT want to be knocked out. Even if she has to do it at the hospital, I'm going to ask for a spinal or epidural. I have been knocked out before and it's not something I care to repeat. I had a horrible time recovering from the anesthesia. I could not wake up from it and then when I did I couldn't remember my own name. My bladder doesn't respond well either and I had issues urinating.

Conscious sedation doesn't work too well on me either. I've had that several times and never responded well to it. They can never get a good balance, it's either too much and I stop breathing on my own or not enough and then it's pointless because all I have is extreme nausea.

I would rather know what is going on and when it's happening. I don't want to feel loopy or out of it and I don't want to sleep through it either. I like to feel like I'm in control, at least cognitively, and know what is going on when they poke, cut and prod at my body.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
They can probably do it outpatient, not in the office but a medical center, Ambulatory Surgery.

My gosh, I didn't know better but I had a hysterectomy outpatient when I was 25. Thank God everything turned out ok.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Pik,

Yes it's the day surgery wing of the hospital so it is considered ambulatory.

I'm surprised any doc would do a hysterectomy as an outpatient procedure, unless it was a vaginal hysterectomy of the uterus only. Still I would think they'd want to monitor you for at least 24 hours to make sure there are no complications after the surgery!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you need it?

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I was dx with adonometriosis. I had all the symptoms of endometriosis and after a couple of years, I finally had the surgery. I still had the symptoms for quite a while after it.

In the end, I think I probably did not need the surgery, but my symptoms were very severe.

Now, having been in the medical field, I can't believe he did it outpatient like that either, and I cannot believe I would have agreed to it, but he talked me into it.

I think he was in with the head of that medical center and was probably trying more or less to profit it, rather than the hospital.

Many years before that I had to have a D and C and I was put all the way under but went home the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Pik,

Yes it's the day surgery wing of the hospital so it is considered ambulatory.

I'm surprised any doc would do a hysterectomy as an outpatient procedure, unless it was a vaginal hysterectomy of the uterus only. Still I would think they'd want to monitor you for at least 24 hours to make sure there are no complications after the surgery!

If you don't mind me asking, why did you need it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness