Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,087,369 times

Advertisements

Thanks again for the information...will you come live with me? LOL

We do bloodwork every 6 weeks and then a follow-up appt when the results come in. This next appt I couldn't get in at exactly 6 weeks and asked if I could come the week before but he refused and is having me come the week after.

As for the fasting meds, I take my levo at 6:30 in the morning and my bloodwork appts are at 9:00 (after I get the kids to school). He asked me not to take it until after the bloodwork because he feels like it will elevate my levels slightly and he won't get an accurate result. He also said that ideally he'd have me do my bloodwork at 6:00am before I take the dose that day but there is no lab open at that hour.

I beleive my last TSH was at .89 and I actually feel really good other than the lack of appetitie. Even my last menstrual cycle was better, I'm hoping that wasn't a fluke!

I'm wondering if the lack of appetite could be from the vitamin supplements instead of the levo and maybe I should take them before bed instead of morning to see if that helps.

It didn't even occur to me that could be it until my husband mentioned that my prenatal vitamin used to make me feel yucko in the mornings and that maybe all vitamins will have that effect on me.

You all have been so helpful! I know I need to get some more reading in and be more proactive with my health. Sometimes I just don't know what questions I should be asking but educating myself will fix that I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,016,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Thanks again for the information...will you come live with me? LOL

We do bloodwork every 6 weeks and then a follow-up appt when the results come in. This next appt I couldn't get in at exactly 6 weeks and asked if I could come the week before but he refused and is having me come the week after.

As for the fasting meds, I take my levo at 6:30 in the morning and my bloodwork appts are at 9:00 (after I get the kids to school). He asked me not to take it until after the bloodwork because he feels like it will elevate my levels slightly and he won't get an accurate result. He also said that ideally he'd have me do my bloodwork at 6:00am before I take the dose that day but there is no lab open at that hour.

I beleive my last TSH was at .89 and I actually feel really good other than the lack of appetitie. Even my last menstrual cycle was better, I'm hoping that wasn't a fluke!

I'm wondering if the lack of appetite could be from the vitamin supplements instead of the levo and maybe I should take them before bed instead of morning to see if that helps.

It didn't even occur to me that could be it until my husband mentioned that my prenatal vitamin used to make me feel yucko in the mornings and that maybe all vitamins will have that effect on me.

You all have been so helpful! I know I need to get some more reading in and be more proactive with my health. Sometimes I just don't know what questions I should be asking but educating myself will fix that I'm sure.
Do you and your doctor realize that at .89 you are closer to theHypERthyroid side of the TSH NOT hypO?!?!

What has been your TSH history thus far?

Your doctor is mistaken still about the lab testing the and your meds on the same day. Like I pointed out before the half-life of Levo (your blood levels at the 6 week point) would NOT be affected in the least if you didn't take it that morning. That's a pointless request on his part.

If he didn't take your base TSH number without any thyroid replacement (Levo.) in your system, this request of his in NOT going to give him that information.

As for the vitamins. Yes you should not be taking them at the same time as your Levo.
The Levo should be taken on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Ideally you're supposed to wait 30 min at least before eating anything too, but I haven't found a marked difference for me on that one.

I don't take any vitamins until bedtime. There are a number of meds that can interfere with the body's uptake of the Levo. and it's best to avoid any meds/vitamins within 4 hours of taking the Levo.

You should start reading Mary Shomon's articles, here:

Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules

also, for more info and commiseration:

Dear Thyroid

And as for coming to live with you....sounds like you have 2 more kids than I do...maybe you should come live here! LOL

Old 12-29-2010, 11:27 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,087,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Do you and your doctor realize that at .89 you are closer to theHypERthyroid side of the TSH NOT hypO?!?!

What has been your TSH history thus far?

Your doctor is mistaken still about the lab testing the and your meds on the same day. Like I pointed out before the half-life of Levo (your blood levels at the 6 week point) would NOT be affected in the least if you didn't take it that morning. That's a pointless request on his part.

If he didn't take your base TSH number without any thyroid replacement (Levo.) in your system, this request of his in NOT going to give him that information.

As for the vitamins. Yes you should not be taking them at the same time as your Levo.
The Levo should be taken on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Ideally you're supposed to wait 30 min at least before eating anything too, but I haven't found a marked difference for me on that one.

I don't take any vitamins until bedtime. There are a number of meds that can interfere with the body's uptake of the Levo. and it's best to avoid any meds/vitamins within 4 hours of taking the Levo.

You should start reading Mary Shomon's articles, here:

Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules

also, for more info and commiseration:

Dear Thyroid

And as for coming to live with you....sounds like you have 2 more kids than I do...maybe you should come live here! LOL

LOL!

Thanks for the articles! I will hopefully be able to sit down and read through them this evening.

I'm not 100% sure what my TSH was. I know I should be requesting copies of the labs but I haven't yet and I'm just trusting he knows what he's doing (I should know better than this after all the crud I've been through in the last few years).

His office wasn't my first choice but my GP did not feel it was necessary to refer me to an Endo so the first office I called would not even see me unless I had a physician referral (I don't need one for my health insurance...I think they just want to make sure when you make an appt that you actually need to see an endo).

There aren't a lot of choices here for Endos and he came recommended from a friend but I'm not sure that means much. After reading your posts it sounds like I need to ask more questions and understand what exactly he is doing and why.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 21,953 times
Hi all
I just started taking levothyrozine 6 days ago; the first 3 days I was ravenous; ate a ton of food! The last 3 days however I've noticed a decreased interest in food and I have already dropped 3 pds. This stuff is interesting.. I have also noticed an increased positive mental attitude, but I alternate between being sleepy and having extra energy... lol. Guess my system is trying to balance itself out but for now I'm happy with the weight loss.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,963,012 times
I started out with 50mcg of Levo about 4 months ago, and I feel alot better. There are days when I still feel tired though. I am moving up to 75mcg today after my most recent blood test.
I haven't noticed much of a difference in appetite since I started taking Levo a few months ago. I still eat alot during meal time (always have), but I have cut back on my snacking between meal times because I don't feel like I need it anymore.

Question: If I take my Levothyroxine at night, would that affect my blood tests the next morning if I never miss doses? I assume many of you are taking your dose when you get up, and having blood tests later that day. I have heard that missing a dose doesn't affect you much since it stays in your system for a while, but they recommend taking it in the morning. I sleep during the day. I guess I could take it and go to sleep.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
I always take mine at night. No one's ever told me not to. What the pharmacy does recommend, is taking it around the same time of day, every day. So, every morning, IF you don't get up at 11:50 one morning and 4:00 the next morning. You don't have to take it exactly like clockwork, but if you're taking it at 8 this morning and 9 tomorrow morning and 7:30 the next morning, you should be fine.

Or night. Or mid-day.

Drink with plenty of water. With plenty, meaning - more than the usual single sip you normally sip when you take a pill to get it down your throat. I usually take it with 3-4 healthy gulps of water. I haven't had to change my dosage since I was first put on it around 18 years ago (had to have a thyroidectomy).

Old 03-24-2015, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I have been taking Levo for a week now dont know if it's in my head or I really don't have much of an appetite. Is this possible?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:34 PM

I haven't experienced a sustained disinterest in food in the past few years I've been on Levothryoxine. I will have the occasional day when I'm a little depressed and don't want to do anything and don't eat very much that day, but it's gone after a day or two. When I'm just watching TV and sitting around all day on a weekend, I don't need as much food for energy. Could that be what you're experiencing?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I always take mine at night. No one's ever told me not to. What the pharmacy does recommend, is taking it around the same time of day, every day. So, every morning, IF you don't get up at 11:50 one morning and 4:00 the next morning. You don't have to take it exactly like clockwork, but if you're taking it at 8 this morning and 9 tomorrow morning and 7:30 the next morning, you should be fine.

Or night. Or mid-day.

Drink with plenty of water. With plenty, meaning - more than the usual single sip you normally sip when you take a pill to get it down your throat. I usually take it with 3-4 healthy gulps of water. I haven't had to change my dosage since I was first put on it around 18 years ago (had to have a thyroidectomy).
I also take my Levo at night right before bed, and my Endocrinologist is fine with that. She just said to try and eat dinner at least 1-2 hours before I take it and try to avoid taking other supplements at the same time. I take Fish Oil at the same time as my Levo (rule-breaker!).

Old 09-23-2018, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 363 times
I have been on 25mcg and found out my when my blood tests came back my th levels were not normal so am taking 50mcg now and finding out I have a hard time eating my supper meal more hungry during the day. I feel better not so tired and my thinking is clearer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness